Towable 5th wheel truck for 7 passengers?

Discussion in 'Fifth Wheelers' started by Organised4chaos, May 10, 2018.

1. Organised4chaos

Organised4chaos

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Newbie here.. and hoping I can get advice from this knowledgeable member forum. We are a family of 7 (5 children‍♂️‍♂️‍♂️‍♂️‍♀️) and have been renting long-term (past 10yrs) bcos we have to be able to move for work. Now, we want to leave and go on the road full-time (is that gasps i here..).. and having looked at the options, I'd rather not be stuck in a regular UK caravan (No good for full-time living), Motorhome (not enough space due to driving area taking up vital portion & need a vehicle to use as run around too) or trailer (worried about towing and stability issues over a hitched 5th wheeler)... We have seen a couple of all-season 5th Wheelers, and the space inside to take more than the basics is amazing.

BUT we are struggling to find a suitable vehicle that could tow an American 5th wheeler and seat 7??⛟ It would also be out off-site vehicle to get around, shopping/client meets etc.

Any thoughts/ suggestions or knowledge of a vehicle that could do the job, without putting a child or 2 in the rooftop??

Thanks so much

2. Mel

Mel Funster

Ratings:
    +3,575
    Welcome to Fun

3. tacr2man

tacr2man Funster

Ratings:
    +3,530
    You would need to be looking at this sort of vehicle , Merc , Ford , and Iveco all do similar 17809278.jpg

There are no dual cab vehicles that seat 7 in UK , even in US they have to custom build , and are not suitable for UK
    main-qimg-efe9ced39dd12094f61e30acfa382a08.png

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Speve

Speve Funster

Ratings:
    +4,112
    @vwalan May be able to suggest something he has a mini artic set up(y)(y)(y)

5. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Ratings:
    +5,205
    The Nissan Navara and Ford Ranger double cabs will seat 6 if you have the optional 3 seats in the front, but are too feeble to pull an American 5th wheeler. There are lighter British 5 wheelers available.

My recommendation would be a Land Rover Discovery 3 or 4 (Not the new one which is relatively titchy) which seats 7 and will pull pretty much anything (except the birds of course), and a large caravan. I have one and even the third row seats are OK even for adults. There are non-British caravans which are suitable for all year use.

Such as https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WEINSBER...191448?hash=item25e0603558:g:hcwAAOSwHIlZv7g8

Enormous of course but has wet central heating and sleeps 7
    8ft wide but now permitted on UK roads due to change in the law (limit now 2.55m)

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  6. chatteris

chatteris Funster

Ratings:
    +187
  7. vwalan

vwalan Funster

Ratings:
    +5,954
    i use a mitsubishi canter . double cab .
    it seats seven . and has good under seat cupboards as well. copes very well pulling my lynton trailer.
    they are very common here and abroad . made in portugal. plus morocco. mind my model is abit old now but the new ones are still made there .
    have a look at them narrow and not too long . mind i took about 3 ft off the rear end of mines chassis .almost fits in a car space . ok with a little overhang .
    with the trailer on fits in two ,one behind the other car spaces . ideal for supermarket parking abroad etc .

• Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  8. Organised4chaos

Organised4chaos

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all so far.. ALL comments are valuable and very much appreciated. Not one to give up, we are desperate to find a way around the problem of 7 seats (leaving 1 child behind isn't a option, as I'm told that's classed as 'child abuse' now).

I will look at Iveco Daily Cab with my husband (he had said he didn't want a vehicle that looked like a work can).. Any other advice would be very welcome??

9. vwalan

vwalan Funster

Ratings:
    +5,954
    heres an old iveco info sheet for there mini artics . might help you.
    i prefer the mitzy as its nice with no front overhang . but have helped a few build them over the years .

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. vwalan

vwalan Funster

Ratings:
    +5,954
    mind the toyota dyna could make a good one .
    might have to go to portugal though for triple or dual cab versions . but they do a 4x4 version.
    we called at the factory years ago and the first portugese 4x4 dyna was coming off the line . had a test ride in it the next day they do a good ride.

Attached Files:

• Like it Like it x 1
  11. tacr2man

tacr2man Funster

Ratings:
    +3,530
    I would add that you are better with a dual cab seating 7 with the extra width , rather than a narrower 3 row set up, as the shorter the wheelbase in relation to kingpin to rear axle length , the more maneuverable the rig is , and also when running solo for parking .
    The Iveco daily is a heavier duty vehicle than either ford or merc.

there is a configurator page for Iveco here https://www.iveco.com/uk/Pages/ConfiguratorPage.aspx

3894.png

Last edited: May 10, 2018