Free Member
Oct 15, 2015
Taunton. Somerset.
Funster No
MH
MH within 3 months.
Exp
Converted van. 5 yrs exploring.
Take delivery of my new MY in January and I have just been reading a DO book entitled Back Roads of Ireland. Are motorhomes welcome in Ireland? I prefer to wild camp with my trusty hound.
In anticipation...Thank you.
Robert.

Microchip

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
I will assume you mean Southend Ireland, we've visited 5 times over the years the last time in 2008 Was in our motor home.
As my avatar suggests the other times were by bike, we could not fault the hospitality towards us as we were holidaying on two wheels always being welcomed, each time we left to move to another b&b the previous one would phone ahead to book for us, we had fantastic tours and would not hesitate to recommend it.
However, in the motor home although using the caravan sites was very good, we found we were not welcome in town car parks or laybys because they all have low height barriers. Also travelling through Waterford we had eggs thrown at us. For me if we visit again it will not be in the motor home.

The above is just an example of our experience please don't let it put you off, you may have more positive answers from other members.

Keith

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Ireland is OK for motorhoming but you need to be prepared for height barriers on car parks and lay-by's..... it's to stop the Irish travellers taking over.
Saying that, there is Aires now in some towns, there is tons and tons of wildcamping options........ One great info site is Www.motorhomecraic.com for info and sites to stop, worth joining for the sat Nav stops file for the GPS.
Get away from the tourist hot spots, overpriced and hotels seem to propagate an attitude to MH's that make them unwanted in touristy towns.
One thing sure is you will be made welcome in most parts of Ireland.
Lots of pubs are MH friendly that you can use.
Please get in touch if I can help, I'm based in the North West and have overnight stop you can use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
We went to Southern Ireland last year and enjoyed the trip but found it to be not Motorhome friendly parking was a big problem and campsites were expensive, we will not go again as mainland Europe is the total opposite very friendly towards Motorhomes and not expensive.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We spent 3 weeks in Southern Ireland this year. It's true some places are not motorhome friendly, the worst we found was Galway height barriers in car parks and no motorhome sign on the seafront.
Campsites are expensive compared with France but roughly the same price as CC.
We travelled down the west coast.
Lough Conn aire, beautiful spot, designated parking with toilets water waste disposal-- all free
Oughterard Camp Street Cafe free parking. Cafe very good
Cliffs of Moher car park we visited the centre and asked if we could stay overnight-no problem
Dingle peninsula we stayed at Paidi O Se's pub at Ventry food excellent
Ring of Kerry Sneem aire 15euros inc. electric
Bamboo garden, Glengarriff 10 euros overnight
Killarney campsites very expensive. Overnight parking possible at Ross Castle and maybe at car parks around the lakes

Cobh aire 20 designated motorhome spaces right on the quay 48hrs max but we stayed longer no problem. free Good train service to Cork.
Dungarvan seafront (coach parking) free
Hoping that helps
As always if we stopped and felt uneasy we just moved on.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, we had a month this year , ( June ) fantastic did the wild Atlantic way from Waterford and all the way up the west coast good weather friendly people and somewhere we plan to visit again. (y)
We wild camped and only used one aire, never had any problems some places did have no camping signs. :eek: :whistle:
Bob and Janie.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back