Torridge District Council (1 Viewer)

Mar 24, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Despite the wording of the headline in this article I think the "disgrace" mentioned should really be describing the mismanagement of this car park by Torridge District Council . It looks like this car park is going to be closed to motorhomes simply because of the council's mismanagement coupled with their shortsightedness and knee-jerk reaction. Another one bites the dust!

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devo...kCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Mar 11, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I think you are being rather harsh. Torridge District Council has been something of a good example in allowing overnight camping in several of their car parks. If you consider “trust” being mismanagement, thats rather a sad reflection on society. £5 for overnight parking seems very fair to me and if motorhomers are not prepared to pay it, they will spoil it for us all. The local council shouldn’t need to employ staff to monitor that. If you don’t want to pay, don’t stay. I appreciate that most motorhomers are like us, leaving no evidence of their visit when they leave. But I have seen cases where their is far less respect for car parks with grey water running freely from vehicles. If the carpark in question has as many as 30 vans parked overnight and such liberties are being taken I can understand their annoyance. I suspect there is a correlation between those not prepared to pay and a lack of respect. Its up to all of us to support the councils that make an effort by respecting the facility and paying for it too.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You would still be able to park in them as one of the anomalies that exist if you read the boards is
" Motorhomes overnight parking charge" = £5
"Vehicles over 3,5T overnight parking charge" =£2 i.e you can park hgv's in there:giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
I often stay at Appledore sometimes 2 nights . £5 is a great deal imo . I enjoy the pubs , the restaurants
so often buy a day ticket then later my overnight ticket . My spend in the town must help the local business .
on the down side I have noticed vans pulling in late then leaving early. One man told me I was daft “the warden Warden wont be here until after we have pulled out . I know you can pay Via your phone so not all are
cheats . I hope the council turn down the request . If we get banned it’s the few that spoil it for the majority of
fair minded motorhomers We will see

Toby28

Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
Pembrokeshire. Wales
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I don't know if it could be done but perhaps they could install a ticket machine with a bar code on the ticket.
There would be a barrier that would only be lifted once the bar code was read. The bar code would then be used again when you left. You could be a limit on how many times the bar code could be used, obviously the limit would have to be two. One to get in and one to get out.

OP
OP
D
Mar 24, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I agree Toby28. It's a great location to overnight at a very good price. My original point was that the council just needs to ensure that they collect the payment in some way rather than (possibly) banning overnighting.
The facility would be a sad loss to the MH community.
dotsontour / somertonian - it's a sad fact of life that some people do everything possible to avoid paying just a fiver for staying at a great location and taking advantage of the council, so yes, that is a disgrace, but I hope the council will consider installing a payment facility that benefits everyone. But, IMO £15 would be a bit OTT for a car park with no facilities. I hope they engage in debate.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
I have stayed and paid at several torridge district car parks and it's a great resource.
Shame that the irresponssible mindless few may as usual ruin it for all of us.
Why dont they police it a 7 in the morning as everybody is sure to be awake at appledore as the dustcart arrives before then.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back