Tool for getting wheel trims off? (1 Viewer)

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I've posted a couple of times about replacing tyres on our Monaco RV. We took it in today but unfortunately the tyre technicial couldn't get the stainless steel wheel trims off the rear wheel. It uses a very large nut (about 42mm) to hold the trim on. It's very close to the hub which didn't leave enough room for a socket. Is there a special tool for undoing the nut? A sort of thin wall socket?
Is it something that you might stock Lindy? Or is it something that Damon might be able to assist with? Or does anyone else have suggestion?

Regards
Doug

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Doug mine are held on by two of the S/S wheel nut covers, and Winnie supply a thinwall box spanner to undo them, sounds as if yours are similar.

Olley

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Mines the same as Olley's but to be honest the box spanner supplied was rubbish I shopped around and eventually found a socket which would go over.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Thepips

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Bugger! I knew I should have bought a Winnebago!

I'm sure you're right, I'll bet all of the manufacturers use exactly the same trims.
All I've got to do now is find one!

Regards
Doug

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Doug

I have a Monaco Cayman and as has already been said - they actually supply a 'tinny' little 'T' handled box spanner which looks as if it would break before you had even loosened the first nut - but it is quite effective.

When I bought the RV, the spanner was still wrapped up in protective wrapping and I saw no reason to unwrap it until I blew a tyre in Ireland - that's when I realised my mistake :Sad:

If you are really pushed I could post it to you on loan but knowing snail mail it would probably cost more than it's worth!

Just spoken to the Workshops who said that they simply use a pair of mole grips with cloth wrapped around each 'gripping' jaw. Liberally apply WD40 beforehand (squirted through the slots in the nut) - use the mole grips 'end-on' and "it generally works for us" was the chorus from the crowd :thumb:

Last edited:

Lampie

Free Member
Nov 2, 2007
Derby
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
My coachmen is the same , to chrome nut covers come off ( they have a mark on them and oposite each other ) then the nuts can be seen that holds on the trim. I have managed to get a socket on those. I would think they are all simular.

Regards

Lampie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back