Thule bike rack arm (1 Viewer)

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I’ve bought one of these to secure my bike to a rail in my garage. I bought one without a lock, because its going inside. But it doesn’t seeem to work properly without the lock to close the ‘jaws’ that clamp the bike. Once there is resistance, the knob just spins and I can’t tighten it enough to secure the bike. Is there a hidden knack to it, or should I just get one with a lock anyway?!

Jul 26, 2019
Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
McLoius Fusion
Exp
Since 2019
Try locking and unlocking it. It might have partially slipped towards being locked and therefore just spinning

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wellington

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Try locking and unlocking it. It might have partially slipped towards being locked and therefore just spinning

it doesn’t have a lock, though. Just a hole where the lock would be.

Maybe the nut has come out of its position in the head so won’t tighten properly?

That sounds hopeful, can I adjust it? I can’t see anything obvious to fiddle with!

OP
OP
Wellington

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Good idea

85492DD0-26F2-432B-BEAB-18903365CB75.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Can't see how that lock would affect the tightening ? As Off da Grid suggests, it may be that the captive metal nut that's moulded into the bottom of the knob has come adrift ?
Undo the knob completely and check that the nut is fitted inside the plastic hexagonal cut out ?

OP
OP
Wellington

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I took it apart (because I’m so good at fixing things!😉) and the hexagonal nut thingy is made in such a way that pressure on it on it pushes it out out of the cog mechanism. It clearly needs the locking barrel to engage the mechanism, and is effectively permanently locked without a locking mechanism 🤷‍♀️. I’m sending it back, and hoping the new one arrives in time and works. I’m having a most trying time with this garage project!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back