Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
I've had rats on two occasions in the past. Once as a result of parking in an area used by McDonalds take away buyers, and the other as a result of leaving the van unmoved for too many days in an Asda car park. I seemed to get rid of them by banging about, and moving the van. This time I have had a mouse in the van, and he didn't seem to mind the van moving. I'm not sure where I picked him up, but I think it may have been in a car park behind a row of shops with flats above them.. His main interest seems to have been a bag of hazelnuts that I collected by the B and Q car park. After a lot of checking, I bought a couple of plastic jaws from Screwfix for £4.99, and I baited them with some crunchy peanut butter from Lidl. I went to bed last night, and within a few minutes I heard a click from the front of the van. I did wonder if it was the trap, but it was pretty quiet. I checked this morning , and it was the trap triggering, so that has got rid of the mouse. I'm told that mice are never found on their own, but the other trap was untouched. I'm hoping that I acted in time before I started to host a community. I'll leave the traps down for a couple of days just in case.

I did consider using a live catch trap, but they seem to be tunnels, and not very convenient for use in vans.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
You should have kept Mickey as a travel companion, you could have educated him on the finer points of bitcoins.
On second thoughts, he's probably better off dispatched to mousey heaven.
How's you power situation ?

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
I considered keeping the mouse, and putting him in a cage with a wheel. I couldn't find anyone who had calculated the cost of kWatts in peanut butter though.

Power is fine at the moment thanks. I'm a bit concerned about condensation, so I have cut back on cooking, and have been buying cooked food. I need to return to my own cooking though. I found out that Morrisons cook their "steamed" fish by buttering it, and wrapping it in cling film. Then then cook it in a microwave. Some reports suggest that microwaving food wrapped in cling film can cause health problems. I don't know enough to comment,but it seems likely to me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Chocolaté spread seems to be a favourite for mice. Where possible we try to catch our visiting furries in a plastic cup and put them back outside. Most usually voles (slower) or wood mice (quicker but very cute).

Voles seem to prefer healthier food like dried chickpeas and aren’y keen on being inside. They’ve usually come in via the cats ...

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
, you could have educated him on the finer points of bitcoins.
I'm not talking about Bitcoin. :)
The mining difficulty ribbon has tightened, so that means something is going to happen. The trouble is, you can't be sure if it is "happen up" or "happen down".

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm not talking about Bitcoin. :)
The mining difficulty ribbon has tightened, so that means something is going to happen. The trouble is, you can't be sure if it is "happen up" or "happen down".
Just like pontoon really twist or stick but then I wouldn't put my savings on pontoon!!!!

What makes you think there is anything to do with where you park and the rodents they always say you are never more than 10' from a rat!.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
There seem to be some rat hotels though. Next to chicken coops is a traditional one, and the areas where the McDonalds slobs discard their half eaten food is another. Some supermarket car parks seem to attract rats bits of their shopping. Half eaten sandwiches are attractive to the gulls, and some people in cars feed them as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back