This morning's fantastic haul (1 Viewer)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
20210527_054959-1-1.jpg

This morning's stroll was well worth getting up for!
At the feeder: sparrow (noisy but not squabbling yet; some yellow-gaped chicks among them), goldfinch (their wonderful colours don’t stand out so much in the shadow), greenfich (comparatively heavy-bodied male feeding a female), chaffinch (male; seems the females aren't out and about yet), rock dove (of course!), starling (just one - must be the out-rider), blackbird (male and gathering food).
Across the croft: lapwing (3 pairs, protecting their scrapes; at least 2 sets have chicks; noisy, feisty, attacking any and every perceived threat, from lambs to vans to people to gulls), redshank (breeding pair: pretty birds with extraordinarily bright legs and remarkably shrill call; small but standing their ground against the lapwing), lark (constant background presence and song).
On the foreshore: oystercatcher (just waking up, beaks seeming very heavy and not yet calling), plover (scuttling about like mice), heron (ponderous flight along to the next inlet), curlew (always look unbalanced; but that call! - eerie, echoing), common gull (floating around among the rocks), tern (a bit further out and fishing), shelduck (pair, with just one chick; very disappointing as they raised 7 last year).
Back across the croft: carrion crow (uncommon around here), raven (family of 4; wing-beat is as distinctive a sound as their constant chatter), snipe (they like to sit in the reeds just next to the track; call like a creaky gate, and "drumming" of the feathers), hooded crow (big, intelligent birds that should really be called "cloaked"), and finally a cuckoo (flying across to land on a telegraph wire just a couple of metres away from the hoodie, and calling all the time - they aren’t shy birds!).
Right: time for a cuppa!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I can't compete with that. :)

When I went down to make the tea this morning we had our resident grey squirrel rummaging around under the feeder and a female greater spotted woodpecker on the nut feeder helping itself. The squirrel is there almost every morning and will stay for at least fifteen minutes cleaning up everything on the ground - which is really helpful. :) I don't see the woodpecker every day but it probably comes more than once and the male (red on back of head) also comes but their visits are brief and easily missed.

We do have a regular pair of bullfinches coming. The male is very striking. Goldfinches by the bucket load.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
The CL we were on had a resident cock Pheasant, several females under his protection, two Partridges wander thru occasionally, Green Woodpeckers in the grass and both spotted Woodpeckers hammering the trees above the van, we knew deer came thru but never saw them, heard Owls all round!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
All sounds of my childhood, growing up on the shores of the Solway Firth. Hadn't realised I hadn't heard a cuckoo for ages until I visited my pal on Mull a few years back where they were the soundtrack to our May visit.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
You paint a lovely picture of where I would love to live not just camp. Are you on the Scottish West Coast?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Oh, and lots of hedgehog poo! (y)
Oh well, if we're talking poo... plenty of the sheep variety! (wouldn't know hedgehog poo if I saw it!)
Hadn't realised I hadn't heard a cuckoo for ages until I visited my pal on Mull a few years back where they were the soundtrack to our May visit.
Ours haven't quite got into 24-hours-a-day nobody-can-sleep-a-wink mode yet
You paint a lovely picture of where I would love to live not just camp. Are you on the Scottish West Coast?
north-west Skye, Dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back