Thinking of going to Italy this August (1 Viewer)

michpiggy

Free Member
Aug 8, 2015
West lancashire
Funster No
MH
Elddis advante 285
Exp
2 and 1/2 years of owning a motorhome.... 12 years owning a touring caravan
Hi all.

Me and hubby are thinking of going to Italy this summer (school holidays).
We will be travelling from Rotterdam so the best route to Italy and any tips will be helpful.

We are unsure of where to stay as there is so much choice.
And we are not sure if we should do two sites 4 days each or one site for 8 days.

So any advice on some nice sites between the top of Italy and Venice will be great.
We have a 8 metre tag axel motorhome so if possible can you advice us of sites that can accommodate us.

Tia

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
It's all about tunnels really.

French-owned tunnels like Mont Blanc and Frejus are very expensive for motorhomes. If you drive through Switzerland you pay a reasonable one off motorway vignette fee and that will get you through the Gotthard tunnel for no extra. The drive into Italy via the Gotthard tunnel is fairly easy too. The alternative is to cross the Alps by various non-tunnel routes that involve steep winding bits - your choice really.

Another possibility is across Germany into Austria then through the Brenner Pass. However, your vehicle size would probably mean you'd need a 'Go Box' to use the Austrian Autobahns.

There are tons of sites around the Eastern side of Lake Garda, although some might impose a minimum stay period in the high season. It's a relatively short hop to Venice from there.

For Venice, consider sites along the Adriatic coast east of Punta Sabbioni and commuting into the city via ferries. We've done that.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Italy, summer and school holidays...! Are you mad..?:eek:

Have a look at the ACSI sites there's quite a few around there and you can download their app and just pay a small fee for the areas you go through... some good info on there..

Good luck.... you'll need it..;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
michpiggy

michpiggy

Free Member
Aug 8, 2015
West lancashire
Funster No
MH
Elddis advante 285
Exp
Italy, summer and school holidays...! Are you mad..?:eek:

Have a look at the ACSI sites there's quite a few around there and you can download their app and just pay a small fee for the areas you go through... some good info on there..

Good luck.... you'll need it..;)

I work in a high school so I have no choice but to go in August.

What is so bad about it?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Italy is one place I wouldn't go in August
Campsites are packed, pitches are VERY small and prices are high

Have you considered Skegness ?

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

What is so bad about it?

I didn't say it was bad, it's beautiful and lovely, but as Brian said..busy..:D but with your circumstances you have no choice, I'd start booking now though it will fill up quickly...(y)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I would recommend dropping down to Basle on the Swiss border and then through Switzerland via the Gotthard tunnel and enter Italy at Como. I guess you will be over 3.5t in which case at the border you can buy a pass that will allow you to use all Swiss roads, including motorways and tunnels on any 10 days in a year. Its about 32 Swiss francs I think. You can therefore to use it both going out and coming back.

Once at Como you are on the Italian motorway system. Drop down to Milan and then turn left for Venice and the Adriatic, or straight on down the to the Med.

OP
OP
michpiggy

michpiggy

Free Member
Aug 8, 2015
West lancashire
Funster No
MH
Elddis advante 285
Exp
Head hurts..... (n)

Maybe best to leave Italy this time?????:(:(

I want a holiday to rest and relax not be stressed and squished.:confused::confused:

We would like heat, things to see and do, but most of all rest and we have 4 weeks this time rather than our usual 2 weeks to get there and back via hull Rotterdam.

Back to the drawing board I think...... But where o_Oo_O

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Me too....
Except my rum bottle

IMG_6608.JPG

OP
OP
michpiggy

michpiggy

Free Member
Aug 8, 2015
West lancashire
Funster No
MH
Elddis advante 285
Exp
Well my head is now a mess......
I think I had better get the maps all out and start from scratch

Thanks everyone

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I would second going to Norway or Sweden. Their school holidays are June/July so you would be going at a slightly different time. Weather will be warm and plenty of swimming in lakes etc. However do need to be careful of the mozzie season!

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We also liked the Black Forest, don't know what it is like in school holidays though, may be worth googling German school holidays.
Save up Italy for when you are no longer tied to holidays.

OP
OP
michpiggy

michpiggy

Free Member
Aug 8, 2015
West lancashire
Funster No
MH
Elddis advante 285
Exp
We also liked the Black Forest, don't know what it is like in school holidays though, may be worth googling German school holidays.
Save up Italy for when you are no longer tied to holidays.

We went to the black forest last year it was beautiful.

Been planning since 1pm now having to start all over again.. So far we have the ferry booked, so I think I had better call it a day for tonight

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
We also have Italy in mind for the summer, mid July onwards, down the right, Siciliy, then up the left. I thought August for Norway was a tad to late ......... Norkapp around mid summers day ?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997

What is so bad about it?

I worked in high school for thirty years and thoroughly enjoyed the European holidays we took in July and August because we didn't know any different. Ignore all the doom mongers and nay sayers and retirees - just apply some common sense when visiting places that are likely to get busy at certain times of the day. Arriving in good time is half the battle won in Mediterranean climes.

I can assure you that September in Italy is not hugely different to August - fewer kids yes, but hordes of Americans.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I visited Bolzano in August in the late 1960's. We stayed for one night in a campsite so crowded the guy ropes from tents crossed over each other. There was a small swimming pool so busy when someone jumped in another body was ejected from the other side of the pool. :)

It will be busy. But ten million Italians can't all be wrong. :)

Enjoy. Just go.

You will grow old eventually and be able to go off season. But I don't recommend it. :)

Frenchie71

Free Member
Mar 4, 2017
Ramsey
Funster No
MH
Carioca 707
Exp
Since 2015
Wow - I joined the forum to ask exactly the same question. Always been to France in the few years we have had a Motorhome, but have 2 weeks this summer (rather than 1) so thought we would go further afield.

Heading for South of France (Riviera) for second week, so a few days in northern Italy - possibly to see the lakes - sounded a good idea.

Having read the above comments I'm not so sure now. As per the original post - some of us HAVE to go during school holidays.

Are there any positive words of advice out there? Looked at sites around Lake Como - accept that they are cramped in the summer - seems to be the Italian way - but there must be some good points and suggestions??

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Head hurts..... (n)

Maybe best to leave Italy this time?????:(:(

I want a holiday to rest and relax not be stressed and squished.:confused::confused:

We would like heat, things to see and do, but most of all rest and we have 4 weeks this time rather than our usual 2 weeks to get there and back via hull Rotterdam.

Back to the drawing board I think...... But where o_Oo_O
We have been to Italy twice recently (never having been before). We love it but agree we would never drive there, even in a car let alone a motorhome. Just to watch some of the driving antics is entertainment in itself. And to see police try to direct traffic which totally ignores them does make you ponder. :eek:

Wyn.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Wow - I joined the forum to ask exactly the same question. Always been to France in the few years we have had a Motorhome, but have 2 weeks this summer (rather than 1) so thought we would go further afield.

Heading for South of France (Riviera) for second week, so a few days in northern Italy - possibly to see the lakes - sounded a good idea.

Having read the above comments I'm not so sure now. As per the original post - some of us HAVE to go during school holidays.

Are there any positive words of advice out there? Looked at sites around Lake Como - accept that they are cramped in the summer - seems to be the Italian way - but there must be some good points and suggestions??
The lakes are beautiful. We stopped for a night at Como on our way home in April last year, and even in that short time we could appreciate its beauty.

I think most people are saying that if you have to go in high season then you will need to book, as you will on the Riviera. And the prices will be very expensive when compared with the low season prices. You are not likely to find spare spaces at campsites, and the same will apply to Aires (or Sostas in Italy) unless you are very lucky, arrive early or go well off the beaten track. And everywhere will be packed, including the sites and their facilities.

We are lucky in that we can go when we like, so we steer well clear of the school holidays. For us the idea of actually having to book for every night we are away is an anathema. We had enough of that when the kids were young and we had a caravan. To us the whole point of motorhoming is to follow our instincts and the weather, not a timetable.

Personally I would not want to try to do Italy and the Riviera in 2 weeks, that would be just too much driving each day. Why not aim for one this year and the other next year?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We used to go in the school holidays some years ago now, Garda is horrendously busy but a great atmosphere I would not want to go now with campsites at £50 a night and crawling up the road on the west side at 2mph.
The less popular lakes are much quieter, cheaper and just as spectacular. The eastern end of Lake Lugano (western end is in Switzerland) or Lake Maggiore the western side is the quiet side are great places to visit.

Frenchie71

Free Member
Mar 4, 2017
Ramsey
Funster No
MH
Carioca 707
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for the information - very useful.

Peter - not considering touring Italy this year - just simply taking a slightly different route to the South of France via either Lake Como or Maggiore (for a couple of nights). We usually get down to the South of France via the Alps and have often looked as the road branches east to Turin. Thought heading down through Western Switzerland and just having a couple of days by one of the lakes would make a change.

Lenny - thanks for the tip of the other lakes - started to look at those last night when the ones around Como started coming back to me wanting a minimum 5 night stay! Looks like Lugano / Maggiore on way in from Switzerland could be a good shout.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for the information - very useful.

Peter - not considering touring Italy this year - just simply taking a slightly different route to the South of France via either Lake Como or Maggiore (for a couple of nights). We usually get down to the South of France via the Alps and have often looked as the road branches east to Turin. Thought heading down through Western Switzerland and just having a couple of days by one of the lakes would make a change.
In that case I suggest you head East from the channel ports towards Metz, either through France or Belgium and Luxembourg. After Metz head towards Mulhouse either via Strasbourg or follow the Moselle via Nancy and Epinal. The latter is prettier and more direct and the roads are OK. Then cross into Switzerland at Basel, pick up your vignettes or pass (depends what weight the motorhome is) and then go via the Gottard tunnel towards Como. Lake Maggiore is on the right and Lake Como is on the left.

We used Aires all the way, but I am not sure whether or not they will be full in August. Switzerland is VERY expensive for everything so fill up with fuel and food before you cross. I am told that campsites are also expensive there, but I crossed in a day and got South of Milan before I stopped.

Frenchie71

Free Member
Mar 4, 2017
Ramsey
Funster No
MH
Carioca 707
Exp
Since 2015
In that case I suggest you head East from the channel ports towards Metz, either through France or Belgium and Luxembourg. After Metz head towards Mulhouse either via Strasbourg or follow the Moselle via Nancy and Epinal. The latter is prettier and more direct and the roads are OK. Then cross into Switzerland at Basel, pick up your vignettes or pass (depends what weight the motorhome is) and then go via the Gottard tunnel towards Como. Lake Maggiore is on the right and Lake Como is on the left.

We used Aires all the way, but I am not sure whether or not they will be full in August. Switzerland is VERY expensive for everything so fill up with fuel and food before you cross. I am told that campsites are also expensive there, but I crossed in a day and got South of Milan before I stopped.

Perfect - echoes my initial thoughts. Thank you very much!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back