Thinking of buying 2005... advice (1 Viewer)

Camperfam

Free Member
May 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
Not yet
Hello,

we're considering buying a 2004 Hymer - the B654, and doing it up... we have our reservations about it being 17 years old and would like to know of other peoples experience of having this sort of age model. I had always been of the impression that Hymer's were considered really reliable and long lasting, but any advice would be very much appreciated.

thanks in advance...

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hymers of that age are really well built, just be aware of rust in the cab rea where some metal remains from the standard van. And any rot starting in the floor under the van behind the rear wheels

The mechanics of the vehicle were designed for builder/couriers vans that have a tough life and do 500k miles in a few short years. Motorhomes do a fraction of that, so have a very easy life. Just be aware rubbers and seals do harden and fail if left unused

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi and welcome.
I think the most important points on a van that old are potential underneath and chassis rust or repairs and damp damage to the habitation areas.
Good luck.
I am sure there will be members with that model who can give you more specific advice

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Hello,

we're considering buying a 2004 Hymer - the B654, and doing it up... we have our reservations about it being 17 years old and would like to know of other peoples experience of having this sort of age model. I had always been of the impression that Hymer's were considered really reliable and long lasting, but any advice would be very much appreciated.

thanks in advance...
In addition to the general state of the vehicle etc, you might want to think about the engine and where you can actually drive the moho without piling up emission charges. I'm guessing that at best it will have Euro4 status and more and more emission zones are looking at a minimum of Euro6. I'm also guessing that those standards will get tougher so navigation will be an interesting game of avoid the zone or pay up. It's an issue we have with our van and whilst (particularly in this country [UK]) it's not a biggie at the moment, the noose is tightening and with hindsight I might have chosen a van with a more up to date engine..

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I’ve never owned a Hymer,but their reputation is unlikely to have come about by accident.
I certainly wouldn’t worry about it’s age. My van is only 2 years younger and as solid as the day she was made. I think that was a period when build quality was pretty good generally.
As Phill D said,check underneath and also use a damp meter in all the cupboards......well,anywhere you can poke it. And as with any vehicle check the MOT history online and the service history.

Sep 4, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Hymer S630
Exp
Since 2018
Ours is a S630 from 2000. Other than usual vehicle checks underneath/engine etc it will be worth checking for water ingress from the roof seals. I bought ours knowing they needed changing (£600) but they last 10 years plus. Other than that general wear and tear items internally are fairly cheap to come by. Other than that they're solid as a rock and by far the best (in my opinion 😁)
Any issues that do come up will no doubt have been dealt with by people on here who can offer help and advice 👍

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Check that your licence covers the weight if its more than 3500kg.
How many travelling? Check useable payload.
Check its MOT history on the gov't website.

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
Our B654 is 2007 reg but 2006 build, so on the same chassis version you are looking to buy. The above posts tell you what to do. Condition is much more important than age. Buy a damp meter before you look. Note that these, well mine anyway, are rated at 3900kg. So you need a C1 on your licence.

We love the layout of the 654. Ours has no rear forward facing seats. Two inward facing sofas instead. Its suits us fine.

I think a poor van needing a lot of work will cost you much more in the long run than the price difference between good and poor when buying. So, head first, heart later.

Good luck.

OP
OP
C

Camperfam

Free Member
May 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
Not yet
thanks everyone all really helpful :)

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
We have a 2004 Hymer 614. We have had it over 10 years now. Check the roof seals as this is the only part we have had any trouble with. Great build quality and solid.

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
I have a Hymer 655 starline. Mercedes running gear. Great vans solid build quality the roof seals are the vent seals easy to fix and good for another 10 years. They are going for top dollar at the moment.

Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
We have a hymer 2003 5 birth, over cab kingsize mattress, dinette converts to good double with option to extend width, long side bench opposite, again option to widen, yes a compromise on the bathroom, but sink can swing over, so again you gain room, we have only had Zebedee for now coming into our 3rd year, minor issues like repairing clips, and new solenoid for ( just recently dripping toilet) we thankfully been very lucky and all suits our needs, good luck 🤞

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back