The Trollstiggen Route to Geiranger (1 Viewer)

Feb 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Globestar 640dk
Hi folks. Planning trip to Norway atm. My Garmin route planner seems to be telling me campervans are banned from this route 63. It has a red circle with red line through for vans. Does anyone know if this is actially true or not?
We also want to go kayaking up north around Lofoten etc.
The Norwegians seem to be complaining about being overrun with campervans and are starting to introduce lots of limiting measures and extra charges. Any recent info appreciated.

May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
It’s 9 years since I went over that road, however, plenty of vans there at the time. The road will be closed to most vehicles at the moment due to snow so if your Garmin has real time updates it may be reflecting this

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
Last year it was still closed in May.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
I am also looking at Norway for this Spring and doing the Trollstigen. This part of the route has a limit of vehicle length of 13.3m I couldn't find any further restrictions tho. (Other than winter closure and opening anytime between mid May and Mid June)

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We went over that road , it is closed for winter as Dolmen has already pointed out.

It’s a big route for coach trips from the cruise ships , I would suggest trying to time your travel to earlier in the day before all the coaches set off.

6AF070CF-A58C-4BD8-AA92-56B567CE9BDA.jpeg

There is a lovely visitor centre up there
CC13F851-3AFE-4900-8FFE-531B18A3E145.jpeg

Last edited:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I assume you're thinking the Fv63 south to Geiranger? We went to the visitors centre in June 6 years ago and the barrier was open so, as said, it's a winter thing but we did the northerly circular route as we had a date in Andalsnes. Whichever way you'll also get the benefit of the Ornevegen, Eagle's Road approaching Geiranger.

1711447829461.png

OP
OP
J
Feb 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Globestar 640dk
It’s 9 years since I went over that road, however, plenty of vans there at the time. The road will be closed to most vehicles at the moment due to snow so if your Garmin has real time updates it may be reflecting this
Ah, didn't think of that possibility.

OP
OP
J
Feb 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Globestar 640dk
I assume you're thinking the Fv63 south to Geiranger? We went to the visitors centre in June 6 years ago and the barrier was open so, as said, it's a winter thing but we did the northerly circular route as we had a date in Andalsnes. Whichever way you'll also get the benefit of the Ornevegen, Eagle's Road approaching Geiranger.

View attachment 879670
Ah well then, can't wait!😊

View attachment 879670
Ah, can't wait to see it then. Hopefully we will get some good weather!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We did that route last year, no problem and were amazed at the number of coaches at the top. However the Visitor Centre was closed for big renovations. The adjacent gift shop/cafe was doing a roaring trade though

Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
Oh really? I thought it was Southport with those dunes 🤔

Hi folks. Planning trip to Norway atm. My Garmin route planner seems to be telling me campervans are banned from this route 63. It has a red circle with red line through for vans. Does anyone know if this is actially true or not?
We also want to go kayaking up north around Lofoten etc.
The Norwegians seem to be complaining about being overrun with campervans and are starting to introduce lots of limiting measures and extra charges. Any recent info appreciated.
Went last year and we were amazed how many vans were there. A Swiss couple we spoke to had just come back to the mainland from the Lofoten Islands and said it was "absolutely packed with motorhomes" which meant reduced parking places with less wild camping. We did visit Lofoten later on our trip and it was less busy. The Norwegians love motorhomes and they like them large!! Hymers, Kabe, Concorde etc.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We‘re planned to be there in July, 3-4wks and yes any SAT NAV will show closed roads at present. I‘ve been planning my cycling routes and the Trollstiggen is one I’ve planned plus plenty of others👍🏻

I think we‘ll do quite a bit of our driving very early AM to avoid most of the traffic, hit the road at 5am and get moving as I’m expecting some busy roads in July😳

OP
OP
J
Feb 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Globestar 640dk
Went last year and we were amazed how many vans were there. A Swiss couple we spoke to had just come back to the mainland from the Lofoten Islands and said it was "absolutely packed with motorhomes" which meant reduced parking places with less wild camping. We did visit Lofoten later on our trip and it was less busy. The Norwegians love motorhomes and they like them large!! Hymers, Kabe, Concorde etc.
Interesting!

OP
OP
J
Feb 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Globestar 640dk
We‘re planned to be there in July, 3-4wks and yes any SAT NAV will show closed roads at present. I‘ve been planning my cycling routes and the Trollstiggen is one I’ve planned plus plenty of others👍🏻

I think we‘ll do quite a bit of our driving very early AM to avoid most of the traffic, hit the road at 5am and get moving as I’m expecting some busy roads in July😳
Good to know. How do you find the cycle routes or trails or are you just choosing roads?

OP
OP
J
Feb 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Globestar 640dk
When exactly were the Swiss couple in Lofoten?

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Good to know. How do you find the cycle routes or trails or are you just choosing roads?

Just googling cycling routes in Norway and the planning the exact ones i want to do, at least having a few prepared is always good. Also using Strava segments is quite useful.

Jun 12, 2018
Funster No
One tip is to get there early. We started up the pass at 06:00 and met one car on the pass. We stopped where we wanted and took lots of pics. Once I got to the top I drove down it, to see the view looking down, and then drove up again non stop. 🤣 We met only three cars over the three drives and then walked around the visitors centre with no one around.

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004

I cycled it over 40 years ago with friends. It was unsurfaced then, as were many of the higher passes. That was in late May/ early June.

Dec 6, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
54 days in Norway in 2022, all the way up to Nordkapp.

Trip details, including where we paddled on here for anyone who is interested.

Would love to do a trip like that especially the Kajford bit ,was there in the early seventies on a joint military and civvy expedition to find one of the X craft subs that were sent to sink the Tirpitz. Had the honour to fit the lifting bag when we recovered the remains of the X seven, they must have been very brave men.

Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Would love to do a trip like that especially the Kajford bit ,was there in the early seventies on a joint military and civvy expedition to find one of the X craft subs that were sent to sink the Tirpitz. Had the honour to fit the lifting bag when we recovered the remains of the X seven, they must have been very brave men.
In the 60s-90s, my dad worked in a factory that made at least one the midget subs. This book about them tells the amazing matter of fact story of blokes climbing into these small tubes before being towed across the North Sea, knowing they'd likely not make it back.

Dec 6, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
In the 60s-90s, my dad worked in a factory that made at least one the midget subs. This book about them tells the amazing matter of fact story of blokes climbing into these small tubes before being towed across the North Sea, knowing they'd likely not make it back.
Thanks for that , book sounds good will order it when we get back from Edinborough.After we got the remains of the X7 ashore it was cleared of all the m
ud then carted off on a truck, the next time I saw it was at RAF Duxford museum, Interestingly it was alongside a fully kitted model built in the fifties I believe well worth a look as you can get inside to have a look you might find that of interest. The remains of the X7 look pitiful alongside it as it was broken in half in the German attempts to recover it after it had laid it's 2 ton saddle charge under the Tirpitz and badly damaged the ship.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back