The not-so-simple task of changing the Thetford cassette seal. (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Clean ours a couple of times a year use a litre of white wine vinegar & hot water soak it for an hour turning it upside down regularly.

richard wright

Free Member
Oct 20, 2016
suffolk
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
Since 2016
Ive just overhauled an old C200 cassette that i found on FB market place for £30. What a bargain. 'just needs a clean' he said when i collected it. OMG, encrusted in white and faded by sunlight which i hadn't noticed in the dark. The grey top slider was broken and all seals needed replacing. I left it soaking with elsan tank fresh in the garden for 3 weeks and then dried it in the sun for another three weeks. Banging it on the lawn loosened and dislodged most of the now bone dry white crust and the rest i scraped out with a bank card. So then i replaced the air valve, the breather valve, the blade seal and handle, the top sliding flap and the main lip seal. By the time Id finished, it worked and smelt like new and looked great. Probably nearly as much to buy and then overall as a brand new refresh kit but hey, I learned how they work and how to replace all the bits that wear so worth every penny.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Ive just overhauled an old C200 cassette that i found on FB market place for £30. What a bargain. 'just needs a clean' he said when i collected it. OMG, encrusted in white and faded by sunlight which i hadn't noticed in the dark. The grey top slider was broken and all seals needed replacing. I left it soaking with elsan tank fresh in the garden for 3 weeks and then dried it in the sun for another three weeks. Banging it on the lawn loosened and dislodged most of the now bone dry white crust and the rest i scraped out with a bank card. So then i replaced the air valve, the breather valve, the blade seal and handle, the top sliding flap and the main lip seal. By the time Id finished, it worked and smelt like new and looked great. Probably nearly as much to buy and then overall as a brand new refresh kit but hey, I learned how they work and how to replace all the bits that wear so worth every penny.
And then you gave Mrs W her bank card back 😉

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back