The End of Analogue Phone Lines (1 Viewer)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
What's that😆?? BUSBY.
220px-Catford_Strowger_Switch.gif
Télégraphie,_Systeme_Strowger.jpg

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Agree with you regarding 5G but of course satellite broadband will become a challenger and will possibly be quite a favourite of MoHo owners. The issue here of course is that all the money paid to the Satellite Broadband will probably go to the US rather than a UK Business which also places us at the whims of a foreign power.
I don't know much about satellite broadband but I'd have thought latency would be a problem for many applications.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Happy days working for gpo and then bt.
I,m sure gpo engineers will remember A operates B operates CD and the rest happens damn fast.
Well we thought it did until txe2 and crossbar exchanges turned up!
( First 3 relays to operate in later strowger switch were called A,B and CD )
I spent my first few years converting manual to auto (Windermere & Kendal) then the odd UAX12 to UAX 13, then 13s to SAX. In the '70s I was doing CoW on TXE and Crossbar stuff.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Possibly but I suspect there may be some on here who could confirm
Yes, left hand pic is a strowger exchange.

I spent my first few years converting manual to auto (Windermere & Kendal) then the odd UAX12 to UAX 13, then 13s to SAX. In the '70s I was doing CoW on TXE and Crossbar stuff.
My time started with extending strowger exchanges, also cow and extending txe2, then a lot of time converting analogue exchanges to digital. When that was done moved over to power maintenance till taking the money and running in 2002. Looking back they let me play with lots of toys, or interesting kit.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Yes, left hand pic is a strowger exchange.

My time started with extending strowger exchanges, also cow and extending txe2, then a lot of time converting analogue exchanges to digital. When that was done moved over to power maintenance till taking the money and running in 2002. Looking back they let me play with lots of toys, or interesting kit.
Right picture is a pre 2000 switch like those used in a UAX12.

Sounds a bit like me, started in 1965 and after three years YIT spent another twelve on exch construction UAX12, 13, 14, SAX, RND and TXE2 and some CoW duties. I left exch construction in 1980 to go onto the larger customer switching, PABX 1, 2, 3 & 4 followed by a couple of crossbar systems before Monarch, Regent, ISDX, & Meridian with a bit of campus blown fibre thrown in for good measure. 'Escaped' from the company in 2004 only to carry on with similar jobs dwindling to some Cat 5 cabling, still fibre installing & terminating even at this elevated age!

Apologies to those who don't know the abbreviations and system types.

Any ex-strowger folks on here may be interested in this Facebook Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/671388886988241/

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
quick question for you comms engineers, is it possible to use a splitter so 2 digital phones can be used on one office extension .
We have 16 extensions from our system, and it runs UC PLus software, but I cant fit any more lines to it and want to allow 2 office people in 1 office to share one extension(not at the same time) so they are not sharing the same handset (covid)
this is the type of phone

any adivce appreciated

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
quick question for you comms engineers, is it possible to use a splitter so 2 digital phones can be used on one office extension .
We have 16 extensions from our system, and it runs UC PLus software, but I cant fit any more lines to it and want to allow 2 office people in 1 office to share one extension(not at the same time) so they are not sharing the same handset (covid)

any adivce appreciated
Far to modern for me, I guess you cant hear the relays clicking or watch the dial go round...☺️

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977

any adivce appreciated

From what I can see your system uses VoIP handsets so the answer is NO.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Maybe if i were to read about this tech stuff i may learn something................but i just can't, mind numbing boring for this old dinosaur.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

any adivce appreciated
Check with your dealer, you may be able to use an Analogue Terminal Adapter (ATA) which replaces the IP handset, if so you could use something like a DECT handset x 2 or check to see if you can plug in two phones in to the ATA. (different system but that’s what we did)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)

any adivce appreciated

From what I can see your system uses VoIP handsets so the answer is NO.
I'm not certain if Tombola's system is VoIP or not (looks a bit doubtful to me), but simultaneous calls to multiple devices on one extension is very much a feature of VoIP.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Check with your dealer, you may be able to use an Analogue Terminal Adapter (ATA) which replaces the IP handset, if so you could use something like a DECT handset x 2 or check to see if you can plug in two phones in to the ATA. (different system but that’s what we did)
Anyone know of a decent ATA? I have got a Grandstream HT802 & I'm not over impressed. It needs frequent reboots to keep it working. Cisco seemed to have stopped making them. There are a few 'No name' brands on offer via Amazon, but nothing from anyone with a known reputation.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I'm not certain if Tombola's system is VoIP or not (looks a bit doubtful to me), but simultaneous calls to multiple devices on one extension is very much a feature of VoIP.
Yeah we are voip, as we had to increase bandwith to get a decent signal on the phone side.
Im was just stumped as to if we can share a line between 2 people.
What about dect voip maybe with 2 handsets on one base stataion ?

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Yeah we are voip, as we had to increase bandwith to get a decent signal on the phone side.
Is there a log in required? If yes, create a user called Admin Office or something like that, and see if you can log in concurrently on more than one device.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
A DECT base station with two handsets would do what you asked in your first post - one extension off the main phone system capable of being answered in two locations. It would be limited to one call at a time. I don't know enough about your phone system to know whether you would need to put an ATA between the DECT base & the rest of your system or whether your system has a built in ATA - but an ATA is needed somewhere to link a DECT phone to a VoIP system.

If your main system is VoIP, then it should be possible to have more than one VoIP device connected to a single extension & still have both people use it at the same time, unless the system artificially blocks simultaneous calls.

Example: A garage with a VoIP phone system.
There is one extension called Workshop.
In the workshop there are two VoIP phones, both registered to the Workshop extension.
A customer calls & is put through to the workshop by the receptionist. Both phones ring. The workshop foreman picks up one phone & talks to the customer.
Meanwhile, a mechanic needs some parts from a motor factor for a job. We'll assume he has the authority to order them himself, so he picks up the other workshop phone & makes an outbound call while the foreman is still speaking to the customer on the other phone on the same extension.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Im wondering if this would do with 2 handsets

Yes, but overkill if your underlying system is already true VoIP. Those phones can be connected to both VoIP & non- VoIP systems. Very nice, versatile, but expensive.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Yes, but overkill if your underlying system is already true VoIP. Those phones can be connected to both VoIP & non- VoIP systems. Very nice, versatile, but expensive.
so just std cordless would do then? they would suffice tbh if they work, in this one office it is just so they can call out from diff handsets.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
so just std cordless would do then? they would suffice tbh if they work, in this one office it is just so they can call out from diff handsets.
Depends what you mean by 'std cordless'! A standard VoIP phone x 2, assuming they are registered to the same VoIP extension is all that is needed. Do they also need to be cordless?

I'm still wondering if your system is end-to-end VoIP, or whether it is VoIP to the outside world, but internally the extensions are still effectively POTS. Do your phones plug into the same network as your computers, or do they plug into traditional phone sockets on the walls?

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Depends what you mean by 'std cordless'! A standard VoIP phone x 2, assuming they are registered to the same VoIP extension is all that is needed. Do they also need to be cordless?

I'm still wondering if your system is end-to-end VoIP, or whether it is VoIP to the outside world, but internally the extensions are still effectively POTS. Do your phones plug into the same network as your computers, or do they plug into traditional phone sockets on the wall
No , they dont need to be cordless, I was just thinking 1 base station into 1 phone extension with 2 handsets.

The phones themselves plug into normal wall telephone sockets that are routed back to "the telephone" box thingy in the server room. That then is plugged into the bt apparatus.
On our computers we have a small programme that runs that sees what you dial etc called UC+ (plus)
Im not there at the moment and one of my chaps called the company TELESIS and got sparse information.

Its not life or death, but Id like them to have 2 phones just for covid really

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Its not life or death, but Id like them to have 2 phones just for covid really
A good enough reason, given that really could be life or death.

I am leaning more & more towards your system being a hybrid VoIP/traditional system. In that case something like the twin handset version of the Gigaset phone might be quite a good idea, because they would do what you originally asked when plugged into your current system - two phones, one extension, one call at a time, but they will transfer directly to any replacement fully VoIP system you may get later.

What I'm not certain of is whether they would ever handle 2 calls simultaneously, which two separate VoIP phones registered to the same extension would do on a fully VoIP system. That's because I suspect the base unit may only handle one call at a time, VoIP or not. The site you linked to doesn't make this clear either way.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Ill get the model numbers and find out tomorrow exactly what we have
thanks for the input