Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Well we had a long thread about the downsides, how about a thread about the benefits:Smile:

Here is a benefit. Fulltimers do not have to insulate loft space.

I spent most of yesterday in a dusty loft with that horrible fibreglass stuff, I'm still itching:cry:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
How about some or all of these benefits of fulltiming??

No Council tax!:thumb:

No Water Rates!:thumb:

No TV Licence?:thumb:

No Bad neighbours! (Well not for long anyway you just up and move away):thumb:

Regards Pat

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
No gardening to do.. ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
I thought you had to have a TV license (the fact you are moving around probably makes it difficult for them to find you but if they did surely the same applies as if you were in a house)
Water rates unless you steal or get the water for free you are indirectly paying for your water & this goes towards the rates.
Also the same for rates if you ae paying anywhere to stay.
I'll give you the no bad neighbours but have never suffered that problem.

So come on there must be some better real advantages to full timing :Eeek::Eeek: the ones you have given are at least bending the rules/laws if not breaking them

BTW forgot to add in Wales over 60's get hte loft insulated for free (at least the warm Wales did it for me)

I need something better to make me think of full timing.

Last edited:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
I need something better to make me think of full timing

No you don't Ed, if you really felt the urge to

1) feel the freedom of go anywhere anytime you felt like it,
2) pay one monthly sum to campsite owners and then let them deal with all the authorities
3) wake up to a changing landscape rather than the same one as you have for the past umpteen years and will for the next umpteen ones as well
4) put things like the daily postbox full of bills into your distant past
5) need a few hundred per month to live on rather than a few thousand
etc. etc.

then you would be doing it ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

stew

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I need something better to make me think of full timing

No you don't Ed, if you really felt the urge to

1) feel the freedom of go anywhere anytime you felt like it,
2) pay one monthly sum to campsite owners and then let them deal with all the authorities
3) wake up to a changing landscape rather than the same one as you have for the past umpteen years and will for the next umpteen ones as well
4) put things like the daily postbox full of bills into your distant past
5) need a few hundred per month to live on rather than a few thousand
etc. etc.

then you would be doing it ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

stew

You still fulltiming Stew as saw the bus up for sale?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I need something better to make me think of full timing.

People who climb mountains can never give a good reason why.. they just do it.. so it is for full timers, it's not about advantages/disadvantages, it's a way of life.. not quantifiable .. you either want it or not.. and my advice is... if in doubt don't .. it's NOT an easy option.. nor a long holiday.

Jim

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
You still fulltiming Stew as saw the bus up for sale? upgrading John, are you interested in buying her. If you are pm me as we do not want to go off topic

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
You still fulltiming Stew as saw the bus up for sale? upgrading John, are you interested in buying her. If you are pm me as we do not want to go off topic

No mate not looking to go backwards:winky:

Good luck with the upgrade:winky::thumb:

Last edited:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
How are you doing Marie. You could add escaping the UK cold winters ::bigsmile:

No mate not looking to go backwards well thats not very nice of you John. I see you are still wearing those rose tinted glasses :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
How are you doing Marie. You could add escaping the UK cold winters ::bigsmile:

More like swapping the UK cold winters for the Spanish cold winters at the moment!:cry::cry:
Still - mustn't grumble - it doesn't go below zero and we haven't got any snow!:ROFLMAO:

Other than that we're fine Stew! Still enjoying our freedom. :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
it doesn't go below zero we are lucky if it goes above zero here, Shona was saying its been the hardest winter for some years

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
How about some or all of these benefits of fulltiming??

No Council tax!:thumb:

No Water Rates!:thumb:

No TV Licence?:thumb:

No Bad neighbours! (Well not for long anyway you just up and move away):thumb:

Regards Pat
Regards the first two on your list i think you need to bear in mind costs of fees to site a m/h anywhere, whether it be for a couple of weeks or four or five months on a site (i know of at least one guy on here who is sited until March end 09). He cannot park up there for free.....it had to be paid for.

Site owners are not a charity....they are running a business, and that business like any other has to make profit or close down. When drawing up their site fees they are going to make sure that the charges not only cover amenities such as electricity, water, and local taxes, but will also return them a profit in order to live.

As for a TV licence, i doubt many bother about it but whats that? £140 a year?

Bad neighbours? I guess i've been fortunate judging from the stories i hear from one or two folk i work with. But they chose to live in areas with a reputation. I bought into a better area which meant higher initial costs, but then i don't have a plasma screen, Sky packages, or an expensive 4x4. Bad neighbours can easily be avoided if you set your priorities right and buy/rent in a decent area.

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
it doesn't go below zero we are lucky if it goes above zero here, Shona was saying its been the hardest winter for some years

We've been watching the UK weather on the TV - it's dreadful isn't it?:Sad:
It seems as though the whole of Europe is experiencing harsh weather at the moment! Even though it's bad here now I don't think we would be better anywhere else. At least we have some hope of it improving in the near future! :thumb:

You poor people stuck in UK for the winter must be really depressed.:Sad:

Hope things cheer up for you all for Christmas:thumb:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Well we had a long thread about the downsides, how about a thread about the benefits:Smile:

Here is a benefit. Fulltimers do not have to insulate loft space.
True......though i would imagine living fulltime in any kind of van through the colder months which isn't fully 'winterised' or properly insulated wouldn't be much fun.

The thread i started on the downsides to fulltiming attracted some very interesting posts. I was looking for views and comments from those with the experience who were able to take off the rose tinted glasses. :Smile:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
We've been watching the UK weather on the TV - it's dreadful isn't it?:Sad:

You poor people stuck in UK for the winter must be really depressed.:Sad:
It's currently showing 4.5c here. Not as cold as what it has been but the sky is a murky dull grey which makes it 'feel' colder....and of course it's continually damp.

My son is in Val d'Isere for two months and he phoned me last night. Weather temps there are between -9c to -14c with wind chill temps as low as -22c......but the sky is brilliant blue with not a cloud in sight which makes a big difference. :thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
No mate not looking to go backwards well thats not very nice of you John. I see you are still wearing those rose tinted glasses :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sorry but dont need rose tinted glasses just using common sense:winky:::bigsmile:

Only mentioned yours was for sale and saw you were including the toad so thought you might be having second thoughts:whistle:

Last edited:

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
:Smile:How about not having to get up at 5am and scrape ice off the car windscreen to go to a job you hate?
:Smile:Not paying income tax because you gave up your job and the PAYE treadmill.
:Smile:Having all the time in the world to explore new places when they're not crowded.
:Smile:Having the option to do inside jobs on rainy days and enjoy the great outdoors when the weather is kinder.
:Smile:All the lovely new friends you make when you meet other fulltimers.
Jan

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
:Smile:How about not having to get up at 5am and scrape ice off the car windscreen to go to a job you hate?
:Smile:Not paying income tax because you gave up your job and the PAYE treadmill.
:Smile:Having all the time in the world to explore new places when they're not crowded.
:Smile:Having the option to do inside jobs on rainy days and enjoy the great outdoors when the weather is kinder.
Jan
All the above mentioned is called.......retirement!

But if Government in this country (any Government) has it's way, cradle to grave employment will mean literally that and retirement will become financially impossible for many.

derek h

Free Member
May 29, 2008
Funster No
Jan

4 years 5 months 14 days and an early breakfast.
Or a lottery win.

Derek

Baldy

Free Member
May 8, 2008
The open road
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
officially since 22 feb 2010
As with any lifestyle, there are upsides and downsides, Fulltiming, for my wife and I, tends to have more upsides, It's not a lifestyle I am in any hurry to change anytime soon.

Those who do not full time, clearly do not understand the love of it.

Merry Christmas to all

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Reading some of the posts I would have to agree it is more of a personal choice than any great advantage. Being retired living in a house with a motorhome on the drive we can take off at any time & come back when we feel the need. We did consider renting the house out for a few years & doing the full timing bit but after a few trips we came to the decision that a few 3 month trips with the odd weekends suits us. Looking at the way things are going though with the economy renting the house out & full timing might be the way for us to survive :RollEyes:

What we have found suprising on our travels are the number of people who have sold up & gone full timing without much experience of going away for extended periods.

To all those who do full time I say all the best if it's what suits you, we will stay as part (full)timers :winky:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Reading some of the posts I would have to agree it is more of a personal choice than any great advantage. Being retired living in a house with a motorhome on the drive we can take off at any time & come back when we feel the need.

What we have found suprising on our travels are the number of people who have sold up & gone full timing without much experience of going away for extended periods.
The current economic climate coupled with the disastrous property market certainly does make you think long and hard. Affording the 'best of both worlds'.....motorhome suitable for long term living in and keeping a privately owned property is not always an option open to everyone.

Something i am sure of though. If i sell my house, i won't ever buy private again....i'd rent.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
All the above mentioned is called.......retirement!

But if Government in this country (any Government) has it's way, cradle to grave employment will mean literally that and retirement will become financially impossible for many.

Agreed, thats the way its headed. I'm not a fulltimer and I dont think I ever will be. I would miss my home, children and granchildren too much and all of the memories that are tied up in my head.

That said, I have always been a rover and there is something in me that says "just let me get outa here"

Jim:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I would miss my home, children and grandchildren too much and all of the memories that are tied up in my head.

That said, I have always been a rover and there is something in me that says "just let me get outa here"

Jim:Smile:

Hi Jim

These are hard ties to break and there is no doubt in my mind that you wouldn't be happy leaving them all behind..

I think there is a 'rover' in all of us, but roving can be a lonely place without loved ones.. you can enjoy roving without going full time..

As I said before, full timing is not about benefits or drawbacks.. it's an ALTERNATIVE lifestyle ... not suited to everyone..

Jim

M

Mark&Sue

Deleted User
Sue and I have been doing the Full time thing for 3 Months now and to be honest, although partially forced to do it, we love it. I have 2 teenaged children that live with their mum but although restricted to time away, we still have to work for a living and have ties locally for work until we find something different. If we find work elsewhere we will do our best to ensure that we still get plenty of time with the kids. If you work at it and look for the solution to a problem with an open mind there really isn't much you can't achieve. I look at houses as I pass them now and think "How sad, stuck in that life". Can life get better, of course but happiness is all I require to keep going and boy am I happy.

::bigsmile:

Andrew and Shirley

Free Member
Nov 1, 2008
Alfaz Del Pi Spain
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Many
We are f/t wef March so I am glad to see there are not any negative comments.

House up for rent and is being decorated, cleaned up, items sold and of course our is cat getting worrried, although we plan to take him with us.

We are really getting so exited at this change of lifestyle.

C U all on the road!!!

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Just a question, how long do you have to park on a site for, to be declared that you are living in a mobile home rather than a fultimer, as i find it very diffecult to differenciate, as they appear to be very similar, I have a narrowboat and a motorhome and a bungalow and i try when possible to split my time between all 3 and that could mean that for the biggest part of the year i live in a mobile type home would i be classed as fultiming

be interested in your views

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi,

Just a question, how long do you have to park on a site for, to be declared that you are living in a mobile home rather than a fultimer, as i find it very diffecult to differenciate, as they appear to be very similar, I have a narrowboat and a motorhome and a bungalow and i try when possible to split my time between all 3 and that could mean that for the biggest part of the year i live in a mobile type home would i be classed as fultiming

be interested in your views

Hi Braunston

My view is that you have too much money :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Cheers Jim :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread