The Autotrail AVAT090 will soon be history, hopefully... (1 Viewer)

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
I have suffered the AVAT090 single DIN media unit in my 2009 Cheyenne long enough. Apart from the ridiculously small screen for the rear-view camera, it has an annoying habit of the sound clicking and breaking up if anywhere near a listenable volume and the TV audio playback via the DVB-T receiver has only ever come out of the right-side speakers.

On the way is its replacement, a double DIN unit. The vendors have assured me it will provide all the existing functions....? It should have arrived today, but once again DPD and Chronopost have conspired to suggest my address doesn't exist, despite having had the odd successful delivery over the past 15 years, so it's a trip to the nearest post office tomorrow, assuming their driver can find it.....:cautious:

Anyway, a question about the wiring for the auto-electricians or anyone who has replaced the unit themselves, please. Both the existing and new units have a 'parking' wire which inhibits the use of the DVD/TV when the vehicle is in motion. On cars (and in the installation instructions with the Sony) these seem to be normally connected to the parking brake, which ensures that the picture is cut out until the brake is applied. On my Cheyenne, however, the 'parking' lead from the unit is run to a relay, which is fed from the switched (ACC) 12v supply. Presumably, this achieves the same purpose?

Between the ISO standard plug on the loom from the Ducato chassis and the radio is a short extension adaptor with ISO socket and plug at each end. The feed to the 'parking' relay is piggy-backed onto a bullet connector on the 12v switched supply wire on the extension lead. The question is, when I connect the new unit, can I continue to use this extension lead and relay arrangement? I really don't want to release the magic smoke the first time I switch it on....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back