Temperamental side hab door on Ducato PVC (1 Viewer)

May 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymercar Yosemite
Exp
Since summer 2019
Hi all. The sliding side door on our Ducato PVC almost always needs a bit of an inward push from the outside when closing, otherwise it doesn't shut properly and won't lock. From the inside, this means that it needs a good sliding slam in order to close with us inside. Is this typical of the Ducato side door, or does our's need attention? I see that there is what looks like an adjustment 'thingy' visible from the outside when it is open, but I cannot find any mention of this online. Owner's manual makes no mention of it. Any comments appreciated. Thanks! Ian.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
It will need a tweak of adjustment by the sound of it. A builders van door is much lighter, with no window or upholstery. This can cause the door to drop a few mm over time and the runners to wear quicker

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi our van goes in for first service next week and one of the faults is the sliding door will not close from the inside handle ? We have to go outside then slam shut after jumping in .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sixty-nine Chevy
May 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymercar Yosemite
Exp
Since summer 2019
Hi our van goes in for first service next week and one of the faults is the sliding door will not close from the inside handle ? We have to go outside then slam shut after jumping in .
Sounds very much like our issue. Our van is still under warranty and so I would be very interested to hear how you get on. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
If it's under warranty, I'd leave it to the dealer, as it can be quite complex to realign. Just keeping the rollers and linkages lubricated can make a tremendous difference though. I use silicone spray grease.

Lubrication of the lower track rollers and mechanism is actually a service item, but I wonder how many dealers actually bother.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
It will shut if you leave a skylight open. Air pressure prevents it closing.
Phil
I was just about to say exactly what Phil has highlighted.

Our door has always required a 'good slam' to close it fully, but it makes a significant difference if a roof light, window or cab door is open. In which case it closes more easily.

Has always been the same from new.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Yup, the sliding door closes more easily if you leave a cab door open and the cab door closes more easily if you leave a rooflight open and the rooflight will close more easily if you leave the plug out of the sink.............
;)
(..............but I don't know why she swallowed a fly).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sixty-nine Chevy
May 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymercar Yosemite
Exp
Since summer 2019
Yup, the sliding door closes more easily if you leave a cab door open and the cab door closes more easily if you leave a rooflight open and the rooflight will close more easily if you leave the plug out of the sink.............
;)
(..............but I don't know why she swallowed a fly).
Thanks all for the air pressure comments. Yep, I thought of that and it does close a bit easier if a cab door is open but I would still expect it to be easier.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It is possible to fit a strap on the inside of the door, nearest the rear of the vehicle, which makes it much easier to pull it shut without slamming. Although I just grab the edge of the window and pull. The frame hasn't fallen off yet. :)

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Some converters are fitting a powered soft close mechanism. No slamming, just press the button to close or open

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
We have the soft close on our van
It works well but was a PITA to begin with until I sussed it out
As already mentioned plenty for lubrication on seals rollers and locating tongues

Upvote 0

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Like the idea of the auto closing system, but the box position wouldn’t work with our layout.

Upvote 0

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
My wife was having trouble closing the door from inside. I had a look at what I would call the “ privet point “. I established that if one could pull it closed from the centre back that would help.
I took off the bottom panel and worked out what position to pull from ( our V Line has a fly screen ) so I had to allow for this. I drilled a larger hole where the centre location screw is in the inner panel of the door, I put a penny washer to a 6mm bolt, approx 3cms long, pushed the bolt through the newly drilled hole, another penny washer and then tightened up with a 10mm nut ( the washers should spread the pulling load ) then opened up the corresponding screw hole in the covering panel, fit the panel over the extended 6mm bolt and then refit all the panel’s screws and decor caps. I put another penny washer on the bolt. I had already found a 4cms wide ( wife’s old belt ) nylon strap, I cut it to a comfortable length, the frayed ends I heated up to avoid loose strands, folded over and ran two holes through and pushed over the bolt, another penny washer and tightened up with a domed headed nut.
The door can now be quietly closed to about 9 - 10 inches, pull on the strap and with very little effort it closes. By only closing it from such a small area there is not so much air to displace as a full pull, this gets over having to open a roof vent or window.
I had prior to this spent quite a considerable amount of time adjusting the door to get a satisfactory fit, there are quite a few adjustment points and used a lithium oil on the rollers.
This has proved to be one of the successful mods I’v ever done.

BernieT

Upvote 0

BlackIce

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2020
York
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV40
Exp
I think it is just one of the Ducato features, our sliding door has needed a healthy pull shut from new and always fails to close properly if you attempt to close it gently (quietly). I clean and lubricate the rollers fairly regularly and have checked the alignment but nothing has improved things. I am going to fit a handle or strap when I get round to it, I'm surprised there isn't an aftermarket part available?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back