• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

WANTED telescopic ladder (1 Viewer)

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I bought a £40, 3.1m on eBay, it's fine for occasional use when we away in the van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I must admit I have been toying with the idea of getting a telescopic ladder to put in the motorhome garage to keep the solar panels clean when we are away for any length of time. The thing that is stopping me is adding even more weight at the back of the motorhome when the load on my rear axle is already tight. So I am going to investigate a way of suspending it under the motorhome closer to the front. Has anybody done that?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I must admit I have been toying with the idea of getting a telescopic ladder to put in the motorhome garage to keep the solar panels clean when we are away for any length of time.
Last year in Portugal mine were covered in sandy dust, got the ladder out gave them a wipe got another 1 to 2 amps out of them. Doesn't sound a lot but when it's October and the sun is getting low every little helps.
The cheap 3.1 meter ones are only 9 kg, as we have 300kg spare on the rear axle didn't bother us. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: f6c

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I must admit I have been toying with the idea of getting a telescopic ladder to put in the motorhome garage to keep the solar panels clean when we are away for any length of time. The thing that is stopping me is adding even more weight at the back of the motorhome when the load on my rear axle is already tight. So I am going to investigate a way of suspending it under the motorhome closer to the front. Has anybody done that?
Fit them as bullbars to the front bumper! :whistle2:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Fit them as bullbars to the front bumper! :whistle2:
Saw a Carthago with the spare wheel between the Al-Ko chassis, had a length of Unistrut under the wheel held in place with a hooked roofing bolt through the chassis hole on each side. Something as light as the ladder you could make up a fixing that is quick release.

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
This is probably.a much better quality

I bought one of those last year and am very happy with it. There are various reviews on YouTube, including one chap who bought about 8 different ones from various manufacturers and tested them. The way some collapsed under strain was frightening. This was the only one that passed with flying colours and I was happy to pay the relatively small premium.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Saw a Carthago with the spare wheel between the Al-Ko chassis, had a length of Unistrut under the wheel held in place with a hooked roofing bolt through the chassis hole on each side. Something as light as the ladder you could make up a fixing that is quick release.
Ah, but that's nae use at clearing pesky pedestrians and cyclist oot the road!:imoutahere:

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
We have a a ZARGES 3.3m ladder in very good nick which came with our recently acquired E510. There are three new on ebay right now at £200+ . I don't intend to use it so make me an offer that I can't refuse. I could post/courier it but at what cost?

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I have noticed how many professional tools are for sale on our local sales site and gumtree. Might be that the pro’s are getting short of cash or just decided to give up being SE

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I bought this one last year from Tech turtle. Nice little ladder complete with carry hold-all.

Description
Unit price​
Qty​
Amount​
ZipAce 3.8m Telescopic ladder (Multi Height)
Item Number ZIPACE38
£79.99 GBP​
1​
£79.99 GBP​
Subtotal£79.99 GBP
Total£79.99 GBP

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I bought a 3/3.5mtr set a couple of years back, seem very robust, and come in neat carry case with shoulder strap, I guess that surveyors would use these a lot.
They seem quite heavy, but haven't weighed them, I was going to put them in the van garage, but It would seem that I only need a pair of Abru medium ali steps now, light as a feather, to clean the van while away, as its too much faff to get the folding ones out the case, erecting them, then collapsing back again.
NB: watch your fingers from getting pinched, there is of course a correct method of collapsing them, but as I hardy ever use them, its easy for me to forget, and learn the hard way:mad: Ouch! Fffffffffffff
LES

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
but It would seem that I only need a pair of Abru medium ali steps now, light as a feather, to clean the van while away, as its too much faff to get the folding ones out the case, erecting them, then collapsing back again.
How high are they? I hate standing on the top of step ladders and I need to be able to reach about 2ft into the roof to clean the solar panels. And it doesn't help that I am only a short arse 5' 8" tall.

RVFUN

Free Member
May 7, 2017
Chatham Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Champagne 694
Exp
Newbies to motorhoming - purchasedJune 2017
I was hoping to find a genuine ladder secondhand as apparently there are a lot out there with fake eu kite marks hence they collapse so wouldn’t be looking on eBay.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Thanks for all the links to new ones.. Loads out there but expensive. I am looking for a cheap 2nd hand set ....

We have a a ZARGES 3.3m ladder in very good nick which came with our recently acquired E510. There are three new on ebay right now at £200+ . I don't intend to use it so make me an offer that I can't refuse. I could post/courier it but at what cost?

Really appreciate the offer but I have a feeling as they are £200+ , even second hand value is more than I can reasonably afford, but as I said, do really appreciate the thought

As a matter of interest, shipping on them would be about £8

I was hoping to find a genuine ladder secondhand as apparently there are a lot out there with fake eu kite marks hence they collapse so wouldn’t be looking on eBay.

As to kite marks and stuff, I do not give a flying foofoo about such rubbish.. Spent years and years up and down ladders aerial rigging... I might think about such things when 40 ft up, but 10 or 12 ft....................... Nahhhhhh :)

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have one from a firm called Charles Bentley.It is soft close so you don’t trap your fingers. I had it for about 11 months and the bottom rung got stiff and wouldn’t come out. 1 phone call and they sent out a replacement,very good customer service

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for all the links to new ones.. Loads out there but expensive. I am looking for a cheap 2nd hand set ....

Really appreciate the offer but I have a feeling as they are £200+ , even second hand value is more than I can reasonably afford, but as I said, do really appreciate the thought

As a matter of interest, shipping on them would be about £8

As to kite marks and stuff, I do not give a flying foofoo about such rubbish.. Spent years and years up and down ladders aerial rigging... I might think about such things when 40 ft up, but 10 or 12 ft....................... Nahhhhhh :)

They came my way easily, so they can do someone a favour! Multi position and top of the range. Give them a wash and they will look like new.
Fifty quid plus postage and it's yours. :cheers:
John
20200411_150842[1].jpg

20200411_150730[1].jpg

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Our ladders are underneath...

View attachment 377410
Fastened with unistrut, M10 rod and R clips.

View attachment 377411
Thanks. Just been out with my tape and looked at our Hymer.

Yours looks like a Fiat low line chassis whereas I have the Alko Maxi chassis, which is much deeper. It is almost impossible to get to the middle bit even lying flat on the ground because of that. And what with belly storage lockers and belly lockers for the tanks I have not got enough room to fit them in the middle.

That leaves only the outer area between the chassis member and the skirt, and there is only one place it will fit length ways there. The problem there is that the gap is only 45cm, which is a bit too narrow. The skirt does curve outwards a bit so may be able to do it on the slope. But not sure how to hold it on the skirt side.

Has anybody done something like that with an Alko chassis please?

Sorry John Jaws for high jacking your thread. If it is any consolation I did see a new 3.2m long telescopic ladder on Amazon for £46 including delivery. Doubt you will get anything cheaper second hand.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back