Talbot Talisman what faults to look for please (1 Viewer)

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Hi everyone

We are still on the long journey of finding something that isnt full of rot or rust or damp at a reasonable price!!!!! I know seems to be asking too much. Have now looked at over 200 motorhomes within our price range and so many are wrongly advertised.

Have travelled up to 5 hours each way to look at some and we are getting so sick of it.

Going to look at a talisman for the first time. Any tips on faults, what to look out for etc would be much appreciated.

Many thanks for all you help folks.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi,

You dont specify the Age of the motorhome guys or the Motor?

Spares should be reasonably well available.There are owners clubs out there willing to help with advice and sourcing parts.

Check any paperwork against mileage.Past MOT/Advisory sheets come in handy, in spotting potential problem areas.

Look for signs of damp in cupboard areas and roof.

Do a visual on roof it you can get up there.

Check all plumbing and toilet works and for leaks........

Move cushions, mattresses Soft furnishings if you can.

Body rust.Be prepared (with overalls) to get under the Motorhome looking for Rust areas, Exhaust integrity, newly replaced parts bring reassurance it's been serviced well.Look for corroded Brake pipes, oil leaks, wiring problems/bodges.

Wetness around shock absorbers or brake discs/drums indicate failing pistons/cylinders.

State of tread on all tyres including spare.

Check operation of all gas and electrical appliances including battery charger and state of both Main and leisure batteries.

All lights and controls work.

Look at oil in engine for signs of water/condensation indicating possible cylinder head problems.

Check engine comes up to temp.It seems common practice to leave the engine thermostat out to let the engine run cooler under load.

Also masks other problems.

Rad and cooling system pressurises ok amd rad gets hot.

Check water, while still cold, in rad for signs of oil etc.

Needs to be reasonably clean.

Engine check for any strange mechanical noise remembering the older diesels are inherently a little "knockey" when cold.

Check all belts to alternator/water pump etc are tighe and in good condition.

Check vehicle is charging ok even with all lights on.

Indicators and horn work.

Vehicle tracks/drives reasonably straight without pulling.

Front tyres for abnormal wear indicating tracking probs ot worn steering components.

I guess most of these you know but worth checking.

Check the VIN Coresponds with the vehicle owner doc and mot's.

Check for body repairs.Newly undersealed areas MAY conceal problems.Also for the dreaded Fibreglass repair.

Body straightness.

Tend to rust around front near headlamps.

Gearbox... does it shift into all gears ok?

Driveshafts for knock/play.

Steve.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
M

mikeandbev

Deleted User
Talisman Talbot

Hi

We bought a 1987 Talbot Express Talisman 2 years ago, we absolutley love it, we went to France for 3 weeks last year in it, and it never sits at the door, we are always away somewhere, we have found it easy to get any wee parts needed and it is easy enough to fix, when we bought ours we didnt know what to look for and when we got it home we realised that the fan opening in the roof was leaking and the floor soaking wet, my hubby took it all apart and sorted it, there is not even a trance of damp, and the van runs a treat, ours was about £5000 when we got it, dont know if that is dear or if I have been of help but with a van this age yes you will get rust and all will not look factory built but if it is in good condition saftey thats what you need, I hope if you buy it you will have as many hours of enjoyment as my hubby and I have

Bev and Mike

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
found it easy to get any wee parts needed and it is easy enough to fix, I hope if you buy it you will have as many hours of enjoyment as my hubby and I have
Bev and Mike

I think you've hit it on the head there Guys.
It is so much easier to do the work yourselves on older motors.
No sealed "boxes" of engine management etc. requiring computer diagnostics.

So glad it's working for you.The aim is, after all, to enjoy the lifestyle.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
You are the greatest and so helpful thanks

Many many thanks, your help and information supplied has been invaluable.

xxxxxxxx:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back