Mitchyd

Free Member
Jan 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano T725
Exp
Dont own yet
Well we have taken the plunge and put a deposit down on our first motorhome and joined the group but we are both very appreciative weather we are doing the right think or not.
Having been caravaning for 26 years I am a bit worried about the lack of freedom having a car brings so my question is did other people have the same concerns as we are having??

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
:hiya:
you are doing the right thing!
There is far more freedom to move around and stop in lovely places (especially over the channel) than there is with a caravan.
We’ve had both and would never go back !

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
:welcome4:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Welcome, You will probably find you will adapt to motorhome travel, just remember that you do not need to take loads of kit with you makes it easier to pack away to leave your site. We have canvas boxes from Original Factory shop which we just through things in to hold steady when we move.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Caravans are useful if you want to drive somewhere and stay there for a couple of weeks while you drive out to look at the sights. A motorhome is for touring around and stopping close to each site for a day or two. We have been known to drive 4 miles between stops

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
I have never owned a caravan so I am unable to comment but I doubt you will regret your decision having read lots of posts from previous caravan owners. Definitely over the Channel is THE place to drive.
A warm :welcomesign: to the club also.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am a bit worried about the lack of freedom having a car brings

It is a very real problem. Only rarely are campsites near where "the action" is. We solved it by using electric bikes, though it's only a partial solution depending on how far away "the action" is and the terrain. Last year is Germany I was really pissed off by a FUNster who carried a motorbike and every day enjoyed riding a wide radius in the sunshine whereas I was limited to a few miles which did not reach the nearest supermarket.

Some people tow a car or a bike.

Upvote 0
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
animated welcome group purple.gif

We carry a scooter on the back of ours.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
You will see more and visit places out of the way of urban world. Grab a couple of bikes and enjoy the freedom.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Depends what you want to do we like to go birdwatching and wild life spotting so we tow a car on a trailer it gives us so much more flexibility and range. There are Those that would say why don’t you tow a caravan? Well my answer to that is we can have the best of both as we can leave the car at home and just use the van if we want, you can’t do that with a caravan.?

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Try and get away from the mindset that a mh is a self propelled caravan. Of course you can use them in the same way but then you are missing the point.

Welcome to the forum.

Jon

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We wondered that! I guess it depends how mobile you are. I find I walk much further when we’re away in the van ... usually 10km a day ... and we’ve started taking bikes too. I rather like the fact our trips are more active. It balances the extra calories ...
You will enjoy the lack of set up time. Park and put the kettle on ... seemed to take an age in the caravan! And we usually only stay one or two nights ... you might find that rather than take the car to somewhere 5 or 10 miles away you stay there instead because it’s so easy.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The simple answer to the OP's question is YES but we argued that as we travelled with the caravan to cycle rather than drive to sightsee we would be OK doing the same with a motorhome, and it has been fine but we also carry a scooter as well now for jaunts further afield.

Martin

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mitchyd

Free Member
Jan 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano T725
Exp
Dont own yet
Thanks for your reply everyone, one thing we do enjoy is visiting national trust properties and the such so has anyone had problems parking at these locations? I know that some are have only small car parks but in general I'm talking about

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thanks for your reply everyone, one thing we do enjoy is visiting national trust properties and the such so has anyone had problems parking at these locations? I know that some are have only small car parks but in general I'm talking about
I make great use of google earth on phone or tablet. If the NT property is one of the smaller ones eg Agatha Christie house in Devon, I will always “finger walk” from the road to the carpark using street view on google earth. If there looks to be difficulties parking I will ring up and ask. This applies to other visitor attractions too. Most recently I rang Waddingtons Brewery in Devizes before our visit and they said “no problem just park straight on in against the big roller shutters”. As long as you ask in advance you will most often get a positive response.
It can be a good idea to visit very popular places later in the day and then you can often use the coach parking once they are leaving.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
€6 Peugeot Boxer van conv
Exp
50 years inc camping and caravanning (and I'm not much older than that)
We had our first 2 week holiday in ours, last year in France, we're a family of 4. A motorhome holiday is not the same as a caravan holiday. And if you're not going to tour or have multi-stop holidays, you might be best with a caravan.

Pros:
  • Driving distance. I never really liked tugging, it was a means to an end.
  • Set up. Our caravan used to take an hour or more to unpack, put up the awning and set everything up. It's great just pulling on the handbrake and swivelling the seats.
  • Arriving in bad weather. Setting up a caravan when it's peeing down isn't much fun, neither is packing up.
  • Touring. Easy to move on after a day or 2.
  • Self contained. We have on-board water, waste, LPG, toilet, etc. We also have good 12v systems and don't really need a hook-up.
  • Continental aires. Free accommodation, available exclusively to motorhomes, if that's your cup of tea.
  • Driving is more fun.
  • Manoeuvring. We've ended up in difficult spots with both caravans and the motorhome, manoeuvring the van (reversing or 3-point turns) is far easier.
  • Spontaneity. Easy to decide to go away, just jump in and go.
Cons (our experience with our van):
  • Less storage space, although this can be a good thing as you pack more precisely. We had a estate car with roof-box, and we filled the space up inside the caravan and unpacked when we arrived!
  • Less space for us, we travel as a family of 4. Our bed arrangements are a bit tight, and the kids travel seats are a bit small.
  • Might not be able to just 'nip to the shops', so we try to be more organised with food shopping.
  • Country lanes, after you've arrived. With our caravan, we'd breath a sigh of relief when we were all set up, then use our car (for 2 weeks?).
  • Expense. Purchase cost, depreciation, tax and insurance.

We try to plan any visits to places to be en-route, so that we don't try to visit places once we've set up on site. Likewise shopping, and we always prep the water, waste and toilet as we leave the last site. That way, we're good on the road and we don't have to move once parked.

Our kids are getting older, and I think with just the 2 of us, the balance would be far more in favour of the motorhome.

Upvote 0

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Welcome to FUN

I was unsure how we would cope with the change from tugger. We have travelled with a scooter but get much more out of the cycles and public transport.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We had our first 2 week holiday in ours, last year in France, we're a family of 4. A motorhome holiday is not the same as a caravan holiday. And if you're not going to tour or have multi-stop holidays, you might be best with a caravan.

Pros:
  • Driving distance. I never really liked tugging, it was a means to an end.
  • Set up. Our caravan used to take an hour or more to unpack, put up the awning and set everything up. It's great just pulling on the handbrake and swivelling the seats.
  • Arriving in bad weather. Setting up a caravan when it's peeing down isn't much fun, neither is packing up.
  • Touring. Easy to move on after a day or 2.
  • Self contained. We have on-board water, waste, LPG, toilet, etc. We also have good 12v systems and don't really need a hook-up.
  • Continental aires. Free accommodation, available exclusively to motorhomes, if that's your cup of tea.
  • Driving is more fun.
  • Manoeuvring. We've ended up in difficult spots with both caravans and the motorhome, manoeuvring the van (reversing or 3-point turns) is far easier.
  • Spontaneity. Easy to decide to go away, just jump in and go.
Cons (our experience with our van):
  • Less storage space, although this can be a good thing as you pack more precisely. We had a estate car with roof-box, and we filled the space up inside the caravan and unpacked when we arrived!
  • Less space for us, we travel as a family of 4. Our bed arrangements are a bit tight, and the kids travel seats are a bit small.
  • Might not be able to just 'nip to the shops', so we try to be more organised with food shopping.
  • Country lanes, after you've arrived. With our caravan, we'd breath a sigh of relief when we were all set up, then use our car (for 2 weeks?).
  • Expense. Purchase cost, depreciation, tax and insurance.

We try to plan any visits to places to be en-route, so that we don't try to visit places once we've set up on site. Likewise shopping, and we always prep the water, waste and toilet as we leave the last site. That way, we're good on the road and we don't have to move once parked.

Our kids are getting older, and I think with just the 2 of us, the balance would be far more in favour of the motorhome.
I agree with most of that, and especially the last bit. We had a caravan when the kids were younger and they loved staying in the same place for two weeks in France and making friends and playing with all the other kids on the site. We used to spend half our time trying to find them for meals once they were older.

We did not get the motorhome until well after they both fled the nest. And now we just go for a journey somewhere. When we are going over to the continent we never book anything except the crossing out. After that we decide where to go based upon the weather forecast and a whim. And we rarely stay more than 2 or 3 days in one place.

Last spring we were aiming to drive through France in 2 or 3 days to get to Spain and Portugal. But we realised that the weather was better in France than Spain so we ended up taking 2 weeks to get through France. And that included staying 4 nights in one place because it was so nice.

Not sure we would have got away with that sort of trip if we had two teens with us.

Edit: the one con with caravanning you forget to mention was the obligatory putting up the awning argument. Fun to watch from afar nowadays. By the time it is sorted we are often on our third drink.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 5, 2018
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Before I switched to a motorhome I bought an ebike to see how practical that was. It allegedly had a range of "up to 80 miles". My test run was from Brecon cmc site to Talybont reservoir. it was 33 miles and 2500 foot total climb and when I got back the battery was still half full. I was converted!!! It had solved the anxiety problem of being stranded on site.
Also there are often good local buses services that can get you around.
HTH

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mitchyd

Free Member
Jan 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano T725
Exp
Dont own yet
Well some very comprehensive answers there thanks very much and I agree with most of it and we are looking forward (I think) to our new adventure but I just cant shake these butterflies lol and I know that I have to stop thinking like a caravanner but it's quite hard, last night I went though my usual way we book our holidays doing temporary holiday sites with the c&c club but instead of looking for a rally and then days out I tried to find our days out then look for camping in that area??? I'm try honest, and we haven't even bought it yet. Once again thanks

Upvote 0

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
I am sure that a member here has developed a website giving information on the suitability of motorhome access to NT sites. Can anybody remember who?
ceejayt have produced the website:
I keep it bookmarked and found it very useful, its a great resource to have access to (y)

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We ve yet to find one we couldnt get in somewhere 7.5 metre A class, but once or twice we ve been in with the coaches. We have also had the odd overnight by asking nicely ( I send Sue in)

Upvote 0

Agzy

Free Member
Jan 6, 2020
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E410
Exp
I amin similar boat but in my case old age and associated ailments mean the list of setting up and packing up is just too much and need option for journey breaks sort of ad hoc. My problem is deciding which is layout etc is better for me personally as am a total dud at anything mechanical.

Upvote 0

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.