SW corner of France (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Looking for ideas of sites and places to visit in next fortnight ... ideally with cycling and/or public transport to Perpignan which looks worth a visit.
Like to be by river/lake/canal not necessarily on coast.
Thanks

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
One of our favourite places was Agde with campsites at the side of the river, all will be closed now though.

Jun 18, 2012
Preston
Funster No
MH
Grandad's Camper-CPC
Exp
Since 2012
Perpignan is a long trip, even by train, from the South West corner of France. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Right deffo , not by train : Here in Toulouse, just on the other side of the road leading to where I live is City Of Space! 2 days visit they say! So, depending on the dates, you have either an aire right inside city of space that you will find on Park4night and/OR my place, free but with electric (except kettle lol , it switches off the whole house (remember lesleyjean )
I go away from 18 to 23rd of october so no way for you to get into the stadium when I'm not at home.
Just let me know if you are interested. In any case, enjoy..; South West is just full of places to see. Tarbes, Foix, Mirepoix, Rocamadour, Cordes sur Ciel, to name but a few.

Have you ever seen the video I put on here about the area? If not I'll put it on ... again lol

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Right deffo , not by train : Here in Toulouse, just on the other side of the road leading to where I live is City Of Space! 2 days visit they say! So, depending on the dates, you have either an aire right inside city of space that you will find on Park4night and/OR my place, free but with electric (except kettle lol , it switches off the whole house (remember lesleyjean )
I go away from 18 to 23rd of october so no way for you to get into the stadium when I'm not at home.
Just let me know if you are interested. In any case, enjoy..; South West is just full of places to see. Tarbes, Foix, Mirepoix, Rocamadour, Cordes sur Ciel, to name but a few.

Have you ever seen the video I put on here about the area? If not I'll put it on ... again lol
Hi Frankie

Yes I do remember. (Sorry about that) lol xx

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
The problelm may be finding sites that are open. This site, Link Removed, is close to Perpignan and is open until 31st October and it has bus stops close by. Ive not been there so cannot give a reccomendation one way or the other.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Perpignan ? Are‘nt talking about South East of France??
Threw me as well, so are we talking sw France or Perpignan, if the latter there is an excellent park at canet plage right on the beach free
IMG_20190918_184511292.jpg

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
thats south east
id done my calcs and was going to say that south west is surfer beaches and not a lot else on that coast

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Perpignan ? Are‘nt talking about South East of France?

From what I understood, it looks like the van is staying South West France, but they want places to go by train. Perpignan is really far away, and so is Toulouse even though nearer to SW, and not really easy to go from place to place once there, certainly not in one day any way.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I think that the OP is confused like Me with understanding where is SW France?

I always understood that places like St Tropez are in the "south " of France. Now Perpignan is West and south of St Tropez so is surely in South West France. However it seems its in South Eastern France. No wonder im confused.

Perhaps yodeli can give us a geography lesson

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I think that the OP is confused like Me with understanding where is SW France?

I always understood that places like St Tropez are in the "south " of France. Now Perpignan is West and south of St Tropez so is surely in South West France. However it seems its in South Eastern France. No wonder im confused.

Perhaps yodeli can give us a geography lesson
South West France is on the Atlantic not the Med..BUSBY?

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
No I’m not confused - I know exactly where I want to go - though my description of it may have confused you. So apologies.
I mean the extreme west of the south coast as opposed to the south of the west coast.
Weather looking best in that most western part of the south coast ?.
Perpignan looks nice but don’t want to stay in a city. I’d like somewhere nice that I can travel into Perpignan either by bike or by train.

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018

Thanks, been to Cordes and Rocamadour years ago but the other places you mention are all adventures waiting to happen ?. Cycled through Carcassonne on way to Narbonne a few years ago and would like to revisit. I’ve not seen video but interested if you can put link on please. I’ll let you know if we’re around when you’re not away as,again I’ve cycled through Toulouse along the Midi but not actually visited the city. Really appreciate the offer ?.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
I mean the extreme west of the south coast as opposed to the south of the west coast.

Oh gosh , it's a bit complicated.
SO : South is from Bordeaux to Nice
Now South West is about from Bordeaux to Toulouse .... roughly...! Then Down South you have Narbonne, Foix Perpignan.
Then South EST is Nice Toulon Marseilles Montpelliers .

Perpignan is only South of France (Very often confused with Montpellier)

EDIT: ALso from Toulouse to Nice is what we , French, call Le Midi!
And this is determined by a very special accent. We say it is a "singing accent". We tend to call iarritz, Bordeaux and the towns along the atlantic coast "L'Atlantique" or La Côte Atlantique"
You don't need to say mediterraneen coast , you just say.. Oh .... je vais dans le Midi ! And that's it. I'll try to fin a viseo where they speak with that accent!

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Funny one, typical Midi accent mostly spoken in Marseilles, ... but then ... Marseilles tends to be everywhere in the South. People from Midi, are pointed out for their "lazyness" ... in fact it goes so hot that they have a siesta! This man makes you hear the difference between Paris accent (poshy ... and deeply annoying) and Marseilles accent. You don't need to understand... just listen and look

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We stayed at Les Criques de Porteils campsite last week, which is between Argelès-sur-Mer and Collioure, not far from the Spanish border.

It is on the coast, but is a top-notch 5-star site with stunning panoramic sea views stretching through more than 180 degrees. The aerial pictures on the website give an indication. We paid just €22 per night with ACSI (€20 + €1 each in taxes). Thought the place had an air of quality and the staff were lovely. The site is open until 26 October.

It is just a couple of miles or so from the not-to-be-missed historic and beautiful seaside town of Collioure. Reception got a cab for us to go there and we loved it.

The young family with pre-school age children staying next to us caught the train to Perpignan and enjoyed it.

I'll try to add some pics in a mo...
IMG_20190930_130944.jpg

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Ah thanks for the geography lesson yodeli ?. If the weather would just play ball I’d love to head up to the ‘real’ SW and cycle through the Landes pine forests. Not looking good this trip though.

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We stayed at Les Criques de Porteils campsite last week, which is between Argelès-sur-Mer and Collioure, not far from the Spanish border.

It is on the coast, but is a top-notch 5-star site with stunning panoramic sea views stretching through more than 180 degrees. The aerial pictures on the website give an indication. We paid just €22 per night with ACSI (€20 + €1 each in taxes). Thought the place had an air of quality and the staff were lovely. The site is open until 26 October.

It is just a couple of miles or so from the not-to-be-missed historic and beautiful seaside town of Collioure. Reception got a cab for us to go there and we loved it.

The young family with pre-school age children staying next to us caught the train to Perpignan and enjoyed it.

I'll try to add some pics in a mo...View attachment 338466
Perfect! Do I need to book?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
D
chaser .... thanks, any coordinates ... looking for it on park4night and Searchforsites. ? thanks
Don't know, it's not in any guide I have seen , just Head for the beach at canet, follow the front till you get to it and just draw in.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back