storing your photos (1 Viewer)

Adria 5

Free Member
Jul 23, 2007
Funster No
MH
adria caravan
Exp
hi how do you store your photos do you .. keep them on your harddrive on your pc/laptop. or a external hard drive / zip drive. / or do you put them on cdr discs . or do you print them all off?..

I was thinking the other day when i was tidying a cupboard how nice it is to come across
old photos off yourself and family years past !! it brings your memorys flooding back:wub::winky:
but with digital all you get is a disc or h/drive stick not the same has finding the envolope from boots with the pictures and negatives in !!!
With digitel you select the best to be printed also, has to not waste your ink in your printer:RollEyes: so some pictures will be lost to some degree!

just a thought !!! progress:frowny:

Ray

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
hi how do you store your photos do you .. keep them on your harddrive on your pc/laptop. or a external hard drive / or do you put them on cdr discs .

:Cool: Yep. All three. Sandy likes CD's so she can look at then anytime on here portable DVD/TV. :winky:

F

fordy

Deleted User
Hi all Ange got one of the digital photo frames that you put all your photos on a mem chip and it plays them round and round, a good bit of kit as she has scanned loads of old pic that never came out from a bag in the loft. i think its a 2gig card and she has around 200 pics on it at the moment, and room for a lot more i think this is the best thing i have Seen to keep your pics on and get to see them then the Cd's can be put away for safe keeping ..

FORDY:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Talking from experience .......Do not rely on any one backup because whatever media you use it will fail eventually Hard disks, CD's and Dvds all have a limited lifespan.

I keep my photos on a two external hard disks, I save the photos to one of them and the system backs up regularly with an image file of the whole disk to the second disk. Extra disks are fast, reliable and the cheapest cost per megabyte of storage. I also keep the photos on DVDs. Buying the very best quality DVDs that I can afford.

You are right there is nothing quite like a shoe box full of old photos to get the memories flooding back. I use index prints (contact sheets) for this, automated by photoshop. About 20 thumbnail pictures on an A4 page, and although small they do jog the memory and are great for finding old photos.

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
If you have absolutely loads of images, as my partner has, then investing in a good Digital Asset Management program is a really good idea.......it means that you can set up a cataloguing system and find your images when you need them, which is important for commercial / fine art photographers, but for enthusiatic family / amateur photographers, can be equally important as the numbers of pics mount up....

I'd second Jimjams disk image idea as well - we have a Firewire setup with 4 x 300GB disks to do that at present. Burn some to DVD if required (her files are huge - sometimes around 100MB or more).

RAID Arrays are quite cheap and easy to set up now, and well worth it to preserve precious, non-replaceable pics. Of course, you could also make use of off-site storage just in case your computer is swiped or involved in a fire :frowny: It happens - look no further than Sammclouis :frowny:

Laurie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I use a 300 gb Seagate external drive. I always create folders for my photos aptly named so I can locate a shot when needed. ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GeraldandAnnie

Free Member
Aug 6, 2007
Essex coast
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2006
Talking from experience .......Do not rely on any one backup because whatever media you use it will fail eventually Hard disks, CD's and Dvds all have a limited lifespan.
Absolutely. I have mine stored on our 'main' computer, and then archived to a USB hard disk, and also archived to a DVD which is kept off-site. AND then I upload some to a Photobucket account, which mean I can access then from websites and weblogs. Photos are so precious!

R

RockieRV

Deleted User
If you have absolutely loads of images, as my partner has, then investing in a good Digital Asset Management program is a really good idea.......it means that you can set up a cataloguing system and find your images when you need them, which is important for commercial / fine art photographers, but for enthusiatic family / amateur photographers, can be equally important as the numbers of pics mount up....

I'd second Jimjams disk image idea as well - we have a Firewire setup with 4 x 300GB disks to do that at present. Burn some to DVD if required (her files are huge - sometimes around 100MB or more).

RAID Arrays are quite cheap and easy to set up now, and well worth it to preserve precious, non-replaceable pics. Of course, you could also make use of off-site storage just in case your computer is swiped or involved in a fire :frowny: It happens - look no further than Sammclouis :frowny:

Laurie

Thanks Laurie!:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back