Storage costs and insurance (and options in Surrey)

Damselfly

Free Member
Jul 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet!
Hi all,
Just joined, and looking for advice about storage. We haven't bought a camper yet.

We're looking to get a LWB Sprinter conversion, but our drive can only fit a 5m long vehicle, so considering storage somewhere so we're not limited in van size. I'm wondering what the impact will be on insurance; from some googling it seems like storage will cost about £150pcm, but I'm curious to know if secure storage will reduce the insurance costs on the motorhome, offsetting some of that cost. Is that a thing?

Also, we're near Guildford, and wondering if anyone has recommendations for campercan storage in that general area.

Thanks!
Mark

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class Diesel RV
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Mark,

I'd seriously consider moving to a house with a bigger drive. :D. If you have a local storage facility, it can be OK. Plenty do this, but it's not for me. You'll be amazed how much pottering you do in your van on the drive, and pre and post trip being able to pack and unpack over a couple of days is so convenient.

So you can talk to your estate agent, or if that is just not on, these guys will help https://www.cassoa.co.uk/. Best of luck and welcome to the fun (y)

May 7, 2016
Poole, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
My insurance company NFU said the cost depends on the post code of where it is stored. There was no extra charge as such for using storage. I believe some insurance companies insist on the storage being CASSOA rated.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
Damselfly

Damselfly

Free Member
Jul 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet!
The CASSOA site is useful. Looks like we have 3 within 20-30 miles of us (although the closest is full). And they're around £55pcm+VAT which is a lot cheaper than I was expecting. Thanks!