Storage costs and insurance (and options in Surrey) (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Deleted member 82723
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 82723

Deleted User
Hi all,
Just joined, and looking for advice about storage. We haven't bought a camper yet.

We're looking to get a LWB Sprinter conversion, but our drive can only fit a 5m long vehicle, so considering storage somewhere so we're not limited in van size. I'm wondering what the impact will be on insurance; from some googling it seems like storage will cost about £150pcm, but I'm curious to know if secure storage will reduce the insurance costs on the motorhome, offsetting some of that cost. Is that a thing?

Also, we're near Guildford, and wondering if anyone has recommendations for campercan storage in that general area.

Thanks!
Mark

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Mark,

I'd seriously consider moving to a house with a bigger drive. :D. If you have a local storage facility, it can be OK. Plenty do this, but it's not for me. You'll be amazed how much pottering you do in your van on the drive, and pre and post trip being able to pack and unpack over a couple of days is so convenient.

So you can talk to your estate agent, or if that is just not on, these guys will help https://www.cassoa.co.uk/. Best of luck and welcome to the fun (y)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
My insurance company NFU said the cost depends on the post code of where it is stored. There was no extra charge as such for using storage. I believe some insurance companies insist on the storage being CASSOA rated.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 82723

Deleted User
The CASSOA site is useful. Looks like we have 3 within 20-30 miles of us (although the closest is full). And they're around £55pcm+VAT which is a lot cheaper than I was expecting. Thanks!

Jul 7, 2021
Alcester, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Symbol
Exp
Since 2009
As someone who is actively looking at this myself, my observation is that few storage sites actually have any space available. I am on a waiting list and living in hope. 🤞

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Hi all,
Just joined, and looking for advice about storage. We haven't bought a camper yet.

We're looking to get a LWB Sprinter conversion, but our drive can only fit a 5m long vehicle, so considering storage somewhere so we're not limited in van size. I'm wondering what the impact will be on insurance; from some googling it seems like storage will cost about £150pcm, but I'm curious to know if secure storage will reduce the insurance costs on the motorhome, offsetting some of that cost. Is that a thing?

Also, we're near Guildford, and wondering if anyone has recommendations for campercan storage in that general area.

Thanks!
Mark
Our Ayres rock is only 4.5 metres and would fit perfectly in your drive. It’s one reason we have one, not that we want to park on your drive but fits neatly on ours.

Jul 7, 2021
Alcester, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Symbol
Exp
Since 2009
Our Ayres rock is only 4.5 metres and would fit perfectly in your drive. It’s one reason we have one, not that we want to park on your drive but fits neatly on ours.
4.5metres? Sounds awfully short. 5.5 sounds more likely

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
4.5metres? Sounds awfully short. 5.5 sounds more likely
Yup you are correct 5.4 meters long according to the manufacture. My excuse is that it was late and transposed the numbers ! a guess is that if the crumple zones were used it could be shrunk down by an extra metre or two ;)

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Hi all,

Thanks!
Mark
We pay £60 per month and is a Cassoa Gold (insurance stipulation plus wouldn’t want to be tempted to fiddle around with it) location a hour south of you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back