Stop advertisers tracking you across the internet. (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Interesting stuff.

I wonder how long before someone finds something sinister in elements of Tor being incorporated into mainstream Firefox. :whistle:

I'm getting into this kind of from the other side at the moment, getting Adwords and Analytics integrated into a new e-commerce website. The amount of data available from that is quite surprising once it's set up properly.

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
On a vaguely related note of organisations tracking you, I made an interesting discovery today.

I was looking at some photos of mine which are backed up in Google Photos. When I looked at the information attached to a photo it showed the usual stuff, f number, speed etc but it also showed the location on a little thumbnail map.

Now here's the interesting bit. The photographs were taken on my camera which doesn't have a built-in GPS. Curious.

How did they know where I was? The answer had to be in my pocket, my phone! Google tracks my phone, I know this 'cos they send me maps from time to time showing where I've been. I can only assume Google looked at the date stamp on the photograph and cross-referenced this with where it knew my phone, and by inference me, was. Spooky.

I'm happy with this, others may not be. I now have all my photos taken on a ten week trip geo-located. Except for a few taken on a mountain pass where there was no phone signal and Big Google Brother lost sight of me. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Interesting stuff.

I'm getting into this kind of from the other side at the moment, getting Adwords and Analytics integrated into a new e-commerce website. The amount of data available from that is quite surprising once it's set up properly.

Yup, and then google can follow your visitors around as well :p I will just point out that Google analytics is not very accurate as anyone (such as me) who blocks google analytics at source doesn't get tracked. A far better method of analyising traffic if you are serious are the access logs from your web server.

I use a combination of ublock origin, noscript and a custom hosts file to block adverts. So I basically don't get tracked that much. However the cross domain cookie drop was one thing I hadn't considered. I went all out on facebook when they were tracking me in too obvious a manner. They were tough to block without removing access for myself to keep in touch with family members.

This particular project I thought was pretty clever and very impressive.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
On a vaguely related note of organisations tracking you, I made an interesting discovery today.

I was looking at some photos of mine which are backed up in Google photos. When I looked at the information attached to a photo it showed the usual stuff, f number, speed etc but it also showed the location on a little thumbnail map.

Now here's the interesting bit. The photographs were taken on my camera which doesn't have a built-in GPS. Curious.

How did they know where I was? The answer had to be in my pocket, my phone! Google tracks my phone, I know this 'cos they send me maps from time to time showing where I've been. I can only assume Google looked at the date stamp on the photograph and cross-referenced this with where it knew my phone, and by inference me, was. Spooky.
I'm happy with this, others may not be. I now have all my photos taken on a ten week trip geo-located. Except for a few taken on a mountain passes where there was no phone signal and Big Google Brother lost sight of me. :)

Yup, that is why I have my phones GPS switched off unless I actually NEED it. which is very rare.

My view is, give them as little information as possible and always remember you are not the customer you are the product.

If you are not paying for the service, then they are selling your data to pay for it.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I can’t hide anything from my hubby. Whatever I have been looking up on google searches, appears as ads on his Facebook feed. Separate devices used so the only connection is our ISP address.
I don’t get the ads on my Facebook feed.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I can’t hide anything from my hubby. Whatever I have been looking up on google searches, appears as ads on his Facebook feed. Separate devices used so the only connection is our ISP address.
I don’t get the ads on my Facebook feed.
install. ublock origin, noscript and this
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm
and the plugin in the above article... :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I already run Ublock and after reading the article I've added FPI, interestingly the app download says number of users 13 , not very popular, or is it problematical and people have uninstalled it.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Apple supposedly supply this with their latest operating system upgrade.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Yup, and then google can follow your visitors around as well :p I will just point out that Google analytics is not very accurate as anyone (such as me) who blocks google analytics at source doesn't get tracked. A far better method of analyising traffic if you are serious are the access logs from your web server.

I'm not doing it for tracking. I think that would be of pretty limited use to me.

Adwords is pretty much the only way to get a high page listing now, old school SEO is more or less ignored by Google these days. We're looking a conversion based bid strategy which won't work unless some of the tracking elements are integrated into the website. Whatever Analytics data we get will be a bonus assuming anyone ever has the time to look at it.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
OK so how do you stop them tracking you:Eeek:
bill

The only sure fire way is to never use Google or any of it's subsidiaries.

Also don't use Facebook, Amazon or any other major web service.

Information harvesting and selling is massive business, it's how Google, Facebook and the rest make their money.

Reactions: DBK
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
@Gromett have you ever bothered playing around with Tor?

I know what the connotations are but most people say "dark web" without the slightest understanding of what it means.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Interesting stuff.

I wonder how long before someone finds something sinister in elements of Tor being incorporated into mainstream Firefox. :whistle:

I used Google analytics about eight years ago on a commercial website and was amazed then how much information it gathered. I suspect it has been developed a bit since then. :)

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
interestingly the app download says number of users 13
It is not very well known. ff haven't announced this feature and this is the first I heard about it and I look out for this kind of thing... word will get around though...

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I used Google analytics about eight years ago on a commercial website and was amazed then how much information it gathered. I suspect it has been developed a bit since then. :)

Massively.

roamingman

Banned
Mar 14, 2014
Angus
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
2012, tents, caravan. 1990
I do not have anything from Google on my tablet or phone (I just have a phone for texs from my family) no smartphone, just got another laptop and deleted anything Google.

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004

Thanks to Gromett for the heads up. Recently I photographed a friends wedding and during the past week or so I’ve been looking around on the internet for a company that produces Photo Books and even when I clicked on the link above on two occasions there was an advert sitting on the right of the screen from one of the photo book websites that I have visited recently, one was Bonus Print and its happening on other websites that I’m visiting.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back