Sterilising the fresh water tank (2 Viewers)

Suesouthern

Free Member
Jul 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
I’m a newbie
Hi all, another daft newbie question. We currently empty our fresh water tank after every trip and then refill with fresh water. How often should we sterilise the fresh water tank ? What should we use and how do you actually do it ? Sorry for the layers of this question Sue

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi all, another daft newbie question. We currently empty our fresh water tank after every trip and then refill with fresh water. How often should we sterilise the fresh water tank ? What should we use and how do you actually do it ? Sorry for the layers of this question Sue
Of course it is not a daft question. We do not drink directly from our tank so I am not too precious about sterilizing it. However I fully drain it in the winter of course and then before first trip after that, I use Puriclean (available from Amazon) just dilute as directed and use about 15 - 20 litres in to fresh tank and pump it through the taps and pipes. Go for a drive around the ring road roundabouts, or drive to first campsite and drain. Flush through with some fresh water.
It’s worth getting the 400gm tub, I have a tub of granules but the link has brought up tablets. Some people carry the tablets and put one or two in the tank when filling up.

Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Second for Milton liquid. Plus we always carry Milton tablets when away so that if we pick up water that isn't to our liking we can empty - part fill - add tablets - drive a bit to swill it around - empty and refill from a different source. Remembering to have pumped some of the 'cleaning water' through the plumbing during the process.
We use Milton with the theory that if it's good for babies bottles etc. it's good enough for us!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Suesouthern

Free Member
Jul 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
I’m a newbie
Thanks everyone really helpful advice (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
If you drain after each trip it's probably not necessary to sterilise more than once a year. But water will still be present in the pipework, inbetween trips, unless you thoroughly flush it out.

I use Puriclean granules, as mentioned above (although tablets are probably more convenient). You really need to completely fill the freshwater tank with the appropriate dose of Puriclean as recommended by the manufacturer. Then pump the mixture through to the boiler and onwards to the taps. Close the taps once you get a consistent flow. Then top-up the freshwater tank with a bit more Puriclean (equivalent approx to a 20 litre dose). Leave for the recommended contact time, then drain the system. Refill the fresh water tank and flush the entire system...maybe twice if there is still a slight taint to the water.

I made the mistake of leaving water in the tank over the summer and the Puriclean sorted the horrible water taste after a couple of flushes.

Upvote 0
Aug 12, 2020
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Citroen romahome
Exp
Since 2016
There is nothing daft about seeking advice or knowledge Sue, I use Dr Johnsons sterilising fluid, £5-40 for two litres, from Amazon,it's highly concentrated so quite economical

Upvote 0

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
Screenshot_20200831-160509_Samsung Internet.jpg
From Truma website.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Milton not good for Alde boilers, they are SS and it creates crevice corrosion and subsequently pin hole leaks.
Not much better for Truma either. We used to use it in our previous motorhome until we finally traced a leak in our water system to pinholes in the main boiler casing. Cost over £500 to sort out eventually.

We clean, sterilise and decalcify once a year using food grade citric acid granules bought from Amazon.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We drink from our tank, empty after every trip. The only thing I do is descale the boiler and flush the system through with white wine vinegar once a year.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

I use Aquasol, the Puriclean that RiverbankAnni use is another good product, another no to Milton

Aquasol
Product Description
Complete water treatment that keeps water fresh and free from contamination. Works to eliminate: disease causing bacteria slimes, plastic producing phenols and other materials within a water system, that can create foul tastes and odours.
  • Destroys pathogenic bacteria, viruses, spores, algae, biofilm, fungi and cysts
  • Eliminates by oxidizing all tastes and odours caused by bacteria, metals, plastics and phenol leached into the water
  • Non-corrosive, will not harm water system components
Instructions
Disinfect and deodorise stored water
Add1 capful(10ml) to every 25Lt water when filling the tank/container
Deodorise New Tanks/Containers
Add 3 capsful (30ml) to every 25Lt water, soak for 12 hours Empty and rinse with fresh water
Washing Salads - fruit - Vegetables
Add 1/2 capful (5ml) to 2Lt water, soak for 5 minutes

Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Seeing as we were talking about drinking water any reference to the Truma is irrelevant as Truma's instructions say that water from the Truma Combi boilers should not be used for drinking.

OK so many say that Milton should not be used but it has always been my choice for well over 40 years and never caused any problems.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Seeing as we were talking about drinking water any reference to the Truma is irrelevant as Truma's instructions say that water from the Truma Combi boilers should not be used for drinking.

OK so many say that Milton should not be used but it has always been my choice for well over 40 years and never caused any problems.
I used Milton in my VW Camper but that did not have the Truma in it, given that a MoHo fresh water supply provides water to both the cold and hot water system then I would suggest as previously highlighted you would not want to place Milton in the fresh water Tank.

Upvote 0

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Alluded to above, if you’re filling up in the UK & holidaying in the UK the chlorinated water works well in your scenario were your not letting water sit around for days in the clean water tank.
Then you’ve just an annual puriclean or similar task.

Upvote 0

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
IDK how the Truma Combi works, but the “do not use for drinking water” is usually for the hot water route.
Water tank to kettle/cup via the cold tap route is OK, right?
In most homes you wouldn’t drink water from the hot tap 🤔

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Puriclean for sterilising the tank and pipe work, outlets etc. Then a drop of Elsil water purifier every other tank.

Upvote 0

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp

The title of the thread relates to fresh water tank. Where do you think the water comes from that the hot water system uses? 🧐 That could be a tricky question for some but I am sure you know that the hot and cold water systems coexist with water from the same tank. Therefore whatever you introduce into the tank will be available to both services and inevitably enter any boiler tank. As to a smart response of drinking from the hot water tap🥱

Upvote 0

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I use White Vinegar (mixed up from crystals) to clean and sterilise my water system. Anything with High levels of chlorine will attack some grades of Stainless steel. IF you have a heater it will be served by water from the tank. Unless you have a shut off valve to prevent the water from entering your heater, then the contents of the tank will be likely to enter the Heater. The low levels of chlorine in potable tap water will not seriously affect the heater, draining down when not in use will mitigate that even further.

As for not drinking water from the tank, that is a personal thing. In my case I have consumed water from Aqua rolls and tanks for the last 50 years. As a Marine Engineer, we had "potable" water tanks separate to the ships FW (washing) supply. Before the advent of vacuum distillers once the "washing" fresh water was gone, it was put on to Sea water. In later ships we had vacuum plants capable of making many tons of fresh per day from sea water, using the heat from the main engines.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Never do anything. We drain down after each trip then when we come to refill for the next we let the first couple of gallons of refill go straight out before closing the drain cock. We use ours for tea, coffee, etc. I reckon water from a house supply has enough purification chemicals in it without adding more.

Upvote 0
Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
I use Aquasol, the Puriclean that RiverbankAnni use is another good product, another no to Milton

Aquasol
Product Description
Complete water treatment that keeps water fresh and free from contamination. Works to eliminate: disease causing bacteria slimes, plastic producing phenols and other materials within a water system, that can create foul tastes and odours.
  • Destroys pathogenic bacteria, viruses, spores, algae, biofilm, fungi and cysts
  • Eliminates by oxidizing all tastes and odours caused by bacteria, metals, plastics and phenol leached into the water
  • Non-corrosive, will not harm water system components
Instructions
Disinfect and deodorise stored water
Add1 capful(10ml) to every 25Lt water when filling the tank/container
Deodorise New Tanks/Containers
Add 3 capsful (30ml) to every 25Lt water, soak for 12 hours Empty and rinse with fresh water
Washing Salads - fruit - Vegetables
Add 1/2 capful (5ml) to 2Lt water, soak for 5 minutes
We use Aquasol, and drink out of the system. No taste and no deli belly!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back