Starting probs (1 Viewer)

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I have put this here so more people can see this but my van hasnt started as good as normal after this http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/master-3-0dci-fuel-filter.141550/

As you can see I had fuel filter and Glow plugs changed now since then it hasnt started with the snap and instant response it had before even with 1 glow plug faulty. A couple of times I have started it and it stops then wont start takes a good cranking to get it fired up.

So I get thinking air leak something not primed properly ? I also notice as I turn ignition on I can hear a pump possibly whirring away and some squelching noises. Fuel being pushed up possibly I never noticed the pump noise before the work as it started really good.

It is going back to garage and they didnt appear over worried and did say it could be a fuel filter problem. So has anyone got any ideas what could be up ? the reason I didnt change the filter myself is because I couldnt see how to prime the fuel after replacing filter or find any info on the internet how to do it. Which is the only thing I dont like about my van is the lack of info the 3.0 Renault master isnt about in big numbers so info is hard to come by.

OP
OP
PORKSTER
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Its an 06 40,000 miles I think the low fuel coincedence and wishful thinking on my part. I havnt noticed any smoke and when it starts it runs really well.
I get my fuel form same couple of places that all my vehicles go to which are very busy and I dont really want to get into this debate.
This engine I am lead to believe is a nissan and same as Navaro or similar Thanks for answering

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sounds like an air leak on the filter to me.. Or the non return valve is sticking and it is taking a while for the fuel to get back up to the filter etc after it has stood for a while

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PORKSTER
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Sounds like an air leak on the filter to me.. Or the non return valve is sticking and it is taking a while for the fuel to get back up to the filter etc after it has stood for a while

I am far from an expert but but thats what I am hoping garage didnt seem concerned but they wouldnt it wont cost them lol

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I am far from an expert but but thats what I am hoping garage didnt seem concerned but they wouldnt it wont cost them lol
Well if the garage messed it up you sure as heck will not have to pay thats for sure ! :)

OP
OP
PORKSTER
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Well if the garage messed it up you sure as heck will not have to pay thats for sure ! :)

Lets see taking it to them tuesday eve so they have it first thing wednesday morn

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if its the same as mine you do have a hand pump next to the filter pumping it up before you try starting will at least confirm its likley to be a fuel problem its a rubber bulb next to the filter that you squeeze a few times till it feels solid

OP
OP
PORKSTER
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Thanks guys for your reply's I cant find a priming Bulb this is why I didnt replace the filter myself. wouldnt the same light come on that came on last time if i had a glow plug Fault

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
My 3 litre went through a spell of doing exactly the same thing, including the 'whirring' noise. Sometimes if I jumped in and switched the ignition straight to start (even when warm) it wouldn't start, I had to cycle the ignition through off to on 2 or 3 times, each time letting the pump prime (whirring noise ?) then it would start. In fact, I'd forgotten it did this as when I get in now, I switch the ignition on and wait a couple of seconds before turning it to start and it's been fine.
Don't think there's a priming bulb on the 3 litre unit as when we ran out of fuel on a French motorway, I had to disconnect the supply pipe from the filter and suck the fuel through, probably overkill, but I didn't want to flatten the battery cranking it over to get the fuel through, which has just made me think what is the whirring noise if it's not a priming pump ?

OP
OP
PORKSTER
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
My 3 litre went through a spell of doing exactly the same thing, including the 'whirring' noise. Sometimes if I jumped in and switched the ignition straight to start (even when warm) it wouldn't start, I had to cycle the ignition through off to on 2 or 3 times, each time letting the pump prime (whirring noise ?) then it would start. In fact, I'd forgotten it did this as when I get in now, I switch the ignition on and wait a couple of seconds before turning it to start and it's been fine.
Don't think there's a priming bulb on the 3 litre unit as when we ran out of fuel on a French motorway, I had to disconnect the supply pipe from the filter and suck the fuel through, probably overkill, but I didn't want to flatten the battery cranking it over to get the fuel through, which has just made me think what is the whirring noise if it's not a priming pump ?

Sounds like mine

Now I have just been outside there is no visable priming bulb as I thought so I tried a few experiments Listened for the squelching noise sounded like it was from fuel tank. I then looked at fuel lines ones black ones kinda clear now this line had air in it so switch it back on and it fills I assume this is line from tank. I then search for squelching noise and I thought I wonder if i can here it from the filler with cap removed. well its now stopped that noise put cap back on Still no noise so I am going to let it settle down and try it in a while.

Just a thought could the filter be put in wrong way round ? the lines only go on one way by looks of things as I removed and refitted them

dartslf2000

Free Member
Sep 14, 2009
Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1999
It could be that the original filter had a non return built into it and the aftermarket replacement does not, especially if it was purchased based on cost instead of quality. I have only experienced this on heavy commercial vehicles but it's not to say it isn't possible in your case.

OP
OP
PORKSTER
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Garage fitted filter they suggested genuine and I agreed it was about £18 so not cheap

dartslf2000

Free Member
Sep 14, 2009
Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1999
Hopefully that's one less thing in the equation then, sometimes it's the simplest thing! Volvo bus spent many thousands of pounds diagnosing starting problems on a big fleet service buses only to find the customer had been buying cheap filters that were a 'rationalised' part. Expensive and embarrassing mistake and so easily done at the parts counter.

rupert

Funster
Nov 23, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
caravaning on and off 10 years
I've had similar prob with a sprinter base m/h 2004. after lots of trial & error over a few weeks i fitted a short piece of transparent fuel pipe on either side of fuel filter, this confirmed an air leak within the recently 'cheap' fuel filter, fitted by dealer. i replaced with M/B part. job sorted
hope this helps alan

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Most rotary pumps are self bleed nowadays.. which is why I plumbed for air leak or flow back valve not behaving..

dartslf2000

Free Member
Sep 14, 2009
Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1999
I've had similar prob with a sprinter base m/h 2004. after lots of trial & error over a few weeks i fitted a short piece of transparent fuel pipe on either side of fuel filter, this confirmed an air leak within the recently 'cheap' fuel filter, fitted by dealer. i replaced with M/B part. job sorted
hope this helps alan
I've seen a lot of cdi sprinter minibuses with an added piece of clear pipe and a priming bulb added, seems a common mod on those gen 2 sprinters

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back