Starter battery link (1 Viewer)

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I remember seeing a post some time ago explaining how to connect the starter battery to the hab batteries using a cable and a removable fuse. Anyone happen to know which post this was by any chance?
I have a battery maintainer but the voltage needs to rise to 13.3v before it opens and it's not getting high enough in this weather. I'm thinking I can just bypass the maintainer with a little fused link for the winter?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
That is why I prefer to use a "Battery Master" as it is not reliant on the leisure batteries hitting that magic 13.? whatever, ours is working in a shed with no solar at all and the lithiums sitting at just over 13v.

To answer your question directly no I don't know which thread it was but I have read it before as well, the fuse stops it trying to pull a big load from the leisure batteries when the starter battery volts drop on starting, you obviously have the relevant connections there from fitting the battery maintainer.

OP
OP
Itsmcb
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Is it just as simple as fitting a little link with a 5?amp fuse across the two supply cables at the maintainer? Seems too easy 🤨

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Itsmcb
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Job done, took 15 mins. Starter battery slowly charging now 👍. Much better than slowly discharging 😳

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
remember not to start the van with the link in place when i used this system i tied a ribbon on the steering wheel to remind me

OP
OP
Itsmcb
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
remember not to start the van with the link in place when i used this system i tied a ribbon on the steering wheel to remind me
What's the worst will happen, blow the fuse? I've only fitted a 5amp fuse

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back