STAMPS GO UP TOMORROW - Beware of shops trying to charge you more! (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I subscribe to a site which is similar to the MoneySavingExpert one and there is one thing that I have just read on the newsletter which is interesting so I thought I would share it so you don't get 'ripped off'.

The corner shop stamp rip-off | Be Clever With Your Cash

Most of us are probably aware that from tomorrow stamps etc go up BUT you have to be careful where/who you purchase them from so that you are not charged more than their actual value.

It is depending on where the seller got them from as to what they can legally charge.

• If you buy them from a seller who got them directly from the Royal Mail/Post Office then they cannot charge more than the actual price set by the Royal Mail
BUT
  • If you buy them from a seller who got them from anywhere else such as re-seller (ie not Royal Mail/Post Office) they can charge whatever they want!

So always CHECK what the cost of the stamps should be before you get them from other than 'official' Royal Mail outlets.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
FYI

Royal Mail have announced that from the start of the new year, a 1st class stamp will go up 9p to 85p and a second class one up 1p to 66p

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
I subscribe to a site which is similar to the MoneySavingExpert one and there is one thing that I have just read on the newsletter which is interesting so I thought I would share it so you don't get 'ripped off'.

The corner shop stamp rip-off | Be Clever With Your Cash

Most of us are probably aware that from tomorrow stamps etc go up BUT you have to be careful where/who you purchase them from so that you are not charged more than their actual value.

It is depending on where the seller got them from as to what they can legally charge.

• If you buy them from a seller who got them directly from the Royal Mail/Post Office then they cannot charge more than the actual price set by the Royal Mail
BUT
  • If you buy them from a seller who got them from anywhere else such as re-seller (ie not Royal Mail/Post Office) they can charge whatever they want!

So always CHECK what the cost of the stamps should be before you get them from other than 'official' Royal Mail outlets.
Which may be the legal situation, but how is the customer going to know?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Which may be the legal situation, but how is the customer going to know?
You'll only know by the price you are asked to pay, hence why you need to check what it should be before buying them.

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
You'll only know by the price you are asked to pay, hence why you need to check what it should be before buying them.
If you go to buy them at the end of next week the shop could have bought them from RM during the week paying the latest price.

When you buy a book of stamps you won't know if its the ones they have just bought or the ones before the price increase.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
When we ran our business we used to buy a few months worth before the price increase it was very good guaranteed short term interest.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If you go to buy them at the end of next week the shop could have bought them from RM during the week paying the latest price.

When you buy a book of stamps you won't know if its the ones they have just bought or the ones before the price increase.
That is true BUT I'm talking about them being sold over the Royal Mail price which is current at the time.

Eg if buying direct from RM/PO a stamp costs 65p but you are charged 90p for it then that seller is marking up the price way above what you should pay, ie profiteering.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If you challenge the shop on price and about where they bought them how do they prove it was not the Royal Mail?
There's nothing wrong with them buying them elsewhere but if they bought them direct from the Royal Mail the RM T&Cs specifically ban a price hike for items bought directly from them.

If they are selling them over the RM current price then you are being ripped off IMV ...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back