Spruced up my headlights (1 Viewer)

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
The van is more than ten years old now. It's not really a shock that the plastic lenses on the headlamps are yellowing and going foggy. A couple of years ago I attacked them with a cheap kit that was just polish, it didn't do much. This time I got an AutoGlym kit which basically a buffing pad to attach to a drill, a few sanding discs and polish. I also got some ceramic coating that's supposedly a resealer and provides UV protection. We'll see...

Anyway, it's easy to pop the lights out and I figured I'd be less likely to damage the paintwork. I didn't realise how huge they were!
20190127_102836.jpg

(Only in the kitchen sink for a soap down. Should have washed them in the sink in the garage, but it was bloody cold.... Sssshhh, don't tell the wife!)

Anyway, a couple of hours and a few drill batteries later...
20190127_144000.jpg

Yes, paintwork needs a lot of love... But at least my lights aren't losing half their photons before they even get past the bumper.

Tip: the AutoGlym sanding discs clog very quickly... except if you ignore the instructions and realise they are wet sand paper. A quick spritz of water and they last for ages.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Hiya
Great write up... Thank you...
I need to do the headlights on my old Merc, but have been putting it off as I wasn't sure which sealer to use.
Could you confirm which one you used please?
Cheers
Steve

OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Could you confirm which one you used please?
I've got some "9H Mr Fix" ceramic coating from Amazon. I've seen a couple of YouTube'ers using it, although the price of the stuff seems to vary wildly, so I've no idea whether the stuff I've got is real. It acts and smells like it's just a solvent. Wipe on a thin smear and it evaporates in a few seconds. Whether it is any more than just a strong smell and then whether it lasts more than a shower, we'll see...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
And the one in the sink is the opposite side. :whistle:
:p:p:p

20190127_115157.jpg

Did this one first. Not quite as good final finish as the right side, but the right was also in a worse state to begin with with big marks from an old beam bender that had been scratched off. This one I didn't realise the sandpaper could be used wet and only buffed until the polish was a haze rather than all the way off.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back