Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
I feel bad because I should watch, but cant be arsed with the 2 day format .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nonose

Free Member
Mar 13, 2019
Gloucester.
Funster No
MH
Cl Riviera 121 (Vandora)
Exp
1previous van. Not had one for 3 years.
Alvaro is on fire, fair play. Odd that superbike pilots don't seem to fair so well in Moto gp ( Cal being the exception.)

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Alvaro is on fire, fair play. Odd that superbike pilots don't seem to fair so well in Moto gp ( Cal being the exception.)

But they rarely go in on a top bike, Toseland was on the front row in his first MotoGP , but slid back as their bike lacked development. To be fair to the WSB boys, how hard is it for Bautista to drop a level and win on the best bike. Same applies to Redding in BSB. Its the least I would expect in all honesty.

Nonose

Free Member
Mar 13, 2019
Gloucester.
Funster No
MH
Cl Riviera 121 (Vandora)
Exp
But they rarely go in on a top bike, Toseland was on the front row in his first MotoGP , but slid back as their bike lacked development. To be fair to the WSB boys, how hard is it for Bautista to drop a level and win on the best bike. Same applies to Redding in BSB. Its the least I would expect in all honesty.

I agree with you there Phil. And of course for the Spanish riders, the money, infrastructure and culture are more geared to mgp. That said, Scott Redding came up through the Spanish system straight into mgp. I'm looking forward to seeing how he goes in BSB (on, as you say, the best bike.) Didn't Toseland drop the bike on the first few laps of mgp at Donnington pre 2009? I was so disappointed for him.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
I agree with you there Phil. And of course for the Spanish riders, the money, infrastructure and culture are more geared to mgp. That said, Scott Redding came up through the Spanish system straight into mgp. I'm looking forward to seeing how he goes in BSB (on, as you say, the best bike.) Didn't Toseland drop the bike on the first few laps of mgp at Donnington pre 2009? I was so disappointed for him.
Yeah maybe as a wild card. I know he was very good in Qatar , and almost put it on pole, but never managed to fulfil his potential, because a MotoGP chassis is a big leap from WSB. by the time you know what to do ,lts too late.

Nonose

Free Member
Mar 13, 2019
Gloucester.
Funster No
MH
Cl Riviera 121 (Vandora)
Exp
Yeah maybe as a wild card. I know he was very good in Qatar , and almost put it on pole, but never managed to fulfil his potential, because a MotoGP chassis is a big leap from WSB. by the time you know what to do ,lts too late.

Indeed. So little flex in those hybrids. They'll spit you off in no time at all if you get it wrong. In defence of Scott Redding tho. Honda served him up two shite bikes with the MarkVds and Go & Fun mgp bikes. Those bikes had reverse gear, cup holder and an ashtray.

OP
OP
TheTwoOfUs
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I see the Rea fans are calling for the Duke to be stripped and inspected as, in their opinion, nobody can be that much better than him. So if it's just down to the bike, why isn't Davies up there with him? And why is Lowes so close to Rea? I think the Kwacker has been the best bike for years and now it's not.

Nonose

Free Member
Mar 13, 2019
Gloucester.
Funster No
MH
Cl Riviera 121 (Vandora)
Exp
I see the Rea fans are calling for the Duke to be stripped and inspected as, in their opinion, nobody can be that much better than him. So if it's just down to the bike, why isn't Davies up there with him? And why is Lowes so close to Rea? I think the Kwacker has been the best bike for years and now it's not.

Good point TTOU. These things do go in cycles, regardless of the sport. It does smack of frustration from Rea though. He needs to speak with his mechanic/team, not the race officials. Then again, I'm only a mortal so what do I know eh. :)

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Its the age old thing, a bike thats 5mph faster than everything else is great when you are on it, when someone else is , they are cheating.
I have always thought that the greats of the past were always flattered by the equipment they were on, or the tyres they got that nobody else could get. You had to have the talent to get there, but for a long time there were bikes that were so much better than the rest that it wasnt even a race.

Nonose

Free Member
Mar 13, 2019
Gloucester.
Funster No
MH
Cl Riviera 121 (Vandora)
Exp
Fair point to which I would add that a well financed rider can buy a seat, sometimes on equipment that he may not necessarily be entitled too. A less talented rider on a good bike is just that. Whereas, a naturally gifted rider on a not so good ride will push on and ride the wheels off it..
Its the age old thing, a bike thats 5mph faster than everything else is great when you are on it, when someone else is , they are cheating.
I have always thought that the greats of the past were always flattered by the equipment they were on, or the tyres they got that nobody else could get. You had to have the talent to get there, but for a long time there were bikes that were so much better than the rest that it wasnt even a race.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Fair point to which I would add that a well financed rider can buy a seat, sometimes on equipment that he may not necessarily be entitled too. A less talented rider on a good bike is just that. Whereas, a naturally gifted rider on a not so good ride will push on and ride the wheels off it..

Money can only get you so far, and these days , riders with money keep the thing going. What i have seen , is that its easier for a rider to attract a sponsor that he takes with him on the journey, from team to team, than it is to find a fully funded ride, most teams will be a mix of the two. Personally i think Bautista is MotoGP quality, but unless guys move out, the new talent doesnt get in. 4 wheel sport has always been money over talent.

Nonose

Free Member
Mar 13, 2019
Gloucester.
Funster No
MH
Cl Riviera 121 (Vandora)
Exp
Bautista certainly is mgp standard. But I guess where mgp is at a disadvantage compared with WSB or BSB is the existence of Moto 2 and 3 with all those youngsters knocking on the big bike door and constantly in the eye of the factory teams. I'm not up to date with the latest regs, but wasn't it the case that a rider coming up from M2 couldn't ride a factory bike for the first year, he'd have to go with a satellite team? Mind you, even then the rules were quickly forgotten when Honda put M. Marquez straight into the factory team. Money and influence rule.
Money can only get you so far, and these days , riders with money keep the thing going. What i have seen , is that its easier for a rider to attract a sponsor that he takes with him on the journey, from team to team, than it is to find a fully funded ride, most teams will be a mix of the two. Personally i think Bautista is MotoGP quality, but unless guys move out, the new talent doesnt get in. 4 wheel sport has always been money over talent.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back