Spare Bulbs (1 Viewer)

Apr 16, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mli570
Exp
Getting better
Is it a legal requirement to carry spare bulbs for the MH when travelling in France?
We are now planning our first ever MH trip to France at the beginning of June.
Although we live in Cornwall (and as the OH really can't do Ferries whether calm or not), we are going via the tunnel. I know 350 miles extra travel! But I'm sure it will be just part of this exciting venture.
Any and all advice about travel timings would also be welcomed.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Spare bulbs, Vehicle Docs, Hazard Triangle, A fluro vest for every occupant, AND! not sure about this one, they could have put the brakes on this one, 2 Breathalizers

Reactions: GBS
Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Breathalysers not required and haven't been for some years.
Technically they are required but no penalty for not having them and will never be required to use one.

Thanks for that Rr (y), I wasn't sure if they were required or not, seem to remember there was a lot of hoo haa about wether to carry them or not.

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Although we live in Cornwall (and as the OH really can't do Ferries whether calm or not), we are going via the tunnel. I know 350 miles extra travel! But I'm sure it will be just part of this exciting venture.

Road miles are always cheaper than ferry miles, especially if you stop overnight somewhere cheap like Canterbury P&R. The Tunnel's not a huge amount more than the ferry.

I think the reflective vests are supposed to be within easy reach of the wearer, ie not stashed in the boot. Breathalysers need to be RF approved and in date, should you choose to carry them.

Headlight beam deflector stickers should be fitted.

If your MH has a decent-sized boot, leave it easy to inspect on the way back, not overstuffed - ours was checked twice last week at Calais port, presumably for illegal passengers.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
For tunnel timings, I would suggest a late evening crossing and then plan to stay cite Europe overnight. There is a good video on here somewhere of the route to drive to get from tunnel exit to the aire. Then you have a relaxed next day to get on with your holiday.
Canterbury always seems a little out of the way when coming from south west but that would be one alternative if you wished to stay this side overnight.
Reverse coming home, stay near tunnel night before and then early crossing and have most of day to drive back home.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jimbo50
Apr 16, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mli570
Exp
Getting better
Thanks all for your help. As a side note ferry from Plymouth to Roscoff (our closest) on the days planned to travel costing £525. Tunnel with Riverbankannie's suggested timings Less than £200. So plenty of diesel and short holiday this side.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Enjoy the trip its a good idea having the spare bulbs anyway we got a transit specific set that come in a cheap cardboad box off ebay dead cheap forget the breathalysers no fine if you don't have themno-one bothers if you need the reflective vests screwfix do them fairly cheap or £4 at ikea ignore the AA and RAC ads they still try to say you need the breathalysers you do need the reflective triangl for breakdowns. We have a space under the passenger seat where the stuff lives all the time so we dont forget.

Upvote 0

Microchip

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
For tunnel timings, I would suggest a late evening crossing and then plan to stay cite Europe overnight. There is a good video on here somewhere of the route to drive to get from tunnel exit to the aire. Then you have a relaxed next day to get on with your holiday.
Canterbury always seems a little out of the way when coming from south west but that would be one alternative if you wished to stay this side overnight.
Reverse coming home, stay near tunnel night before and then early crossing and have most of day to drive back home.
Just what I was about to say....good advise...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I've carried the same set of spare bulbs in my car and m/home for years but whether I could fit them is another matter. Furthermore I doubt that a gendarme would know if they were the right ones or not. I certainly don't. On my car I'd have to jack it up, remove wheel and inner mudguard and have a triple jointed hand to fit the new bulb. If I had a bulb fail I'd probably take it to a garage anyway.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back