solar panels (1 Viewer)

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
i know there is a solar page but i prefer to post on here where is the best place to buy solar panels i have 2 90 amp batterys and a commpressor fridge what size out put would be ideal ,im not quite sure how much room i have on the roof as we have a sat dome that we inherited with the van which is in the middle off the roof panel size and type off solar regulator would be good and where is a good place to purchas TIA

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
How much are you planning to be off-grid? How often are you driving (so your alternator charges your batteries)? Are you planning to use the motorhome much for extended trips during October to March?

Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
Best off measuring the spare roof space first...then see what size panels can fit .

Bigger the better with compressor fridge .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
gpz

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
we wont be using between october and march, the boss dosent like the cold and we usually move every day or every other day i suppose measuring roof space is as good a plan as any ,what is the usual panel size and is there such a thing as a bespoke panel made to roof size ?

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
we wont be using between october and march, the boss dosent like the cold and we usually move every day or every other day i suppose measuring roof space is as good a plan as any ,what is the usual panel size and is there such a thing as a bespoke panel made to roof size ?
In that case, if October to March is out, then you need a minimum 300w solar to Harvest a min 300-350wh in april may and September. That will just be enough for the fridge. A best result will be with 500w solar to cover other consumptions. Tell us what space you got, and I can recommend what you can fit.
There is no custom panel I know of, but, there are alternatives to work round small spaces. A typical grid tie panel comes in 1m x 1,65m and best output is 380w, that’s the LG neon R. You could have a half cut cell panel 1m x 2m or 1m x1,8m with output of 400w plus.
Best panel for you, is down to space available and wallet.

OP
OP
gpz

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
thanks next time im at the van i will measure space

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I have 2x100 watt panels and a compressor fridge on an Autocruise PVC, in sunshine that's enough but a couple of days of bad weather and the batteries are getting low. 2x100AH AGM's

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
How far do you move? I was going to put up 400W of solar for my compressor fridge until I realised that a decent B2B charger would be a better investment, as I'm always driving somewhere and this would easily keep up with the fridge, even in winter.

I did have to sit still for 2 weeks a few weeks back. This is unusual for me. I bought a dirt cheap (£55) 100W polycrystaline solar panel which kept up despite using a nasty PWM regulator I found in the garage (this was in July, mind).

OP
OP
gpz

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
we do tend to move every day i think i will be limited for space it is a vw compass calypso and it has a b to b charger so i will see what room i have as some one not me put a sat system in the middle off the roof

OP
OP
gpz

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
well i finally got chance to measure the van roof i can get 2m long x 600mm wide at a pinch , how is the best way to fix to a fibre glass roof and are the flexy solar panels any good as i could maybe get a flexy panel on the roof at the front TIA

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
well i finally got chance to measure the van roof i can get 2m long x 600mm wide at a pinch , how is the best way to fix to a fibre glass roof and are the flexy solar panels any good as i could maybe get a flexy panel on the roof at the front TIA

Personally, I wouldn't touch flexible panels. They overheat and de-solder themselves.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Solar panels suffer from an effect which means the whole panel gets pulled down the voltage of the lowest cell on the panel. If you have a flexible panel going around a curve, as one cell will always be facing a bit away from the sun, the whole panel will always act like it. Less than ideal.

Solar panels also work less well when they get hot. Rigid panels are raised off the roof and allow a bit of air to move underneath, which give a bit more output in the peak of the day. I don't think you'll have any issues fixing a rigid panel to the roof with corner points or angle brackets.

2m x 0.6m is going to give you roughly 200w if you can fill all that space.

OP
OP
gpz

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
so how do i know which is a good solar panel and which isnt and what sort of solar regulator do i need and what size where is the best place to buy

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
That space is narrow, you are very unlucky with such a small roof space. Best to look at victron 50w panels, put 4 in paralel with a victron 75/15 solar charge controller.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back