Solar connection, will this work? (1 Viewer)

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
I now have a single solar panel and 10amp controller. All working well charging leisure and supplying a roof fan on Load terminals. Have been offered a second panel for £30! so may add another in parallel but would probably need a larger controller....but on to my real question.

I would like some of the energy to go to my engine battery when in storage without adding much more wiring etc....

If I connected my Load terminals to a car cig plug and plugged this into the dash socket when MH is in storage is this a simple and viable solution?

Being an old 1999 Fiat the 12v cig socket is always live (at least in mine anyway).

Thoughts?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
The load output of a solar controller is not designed to be used as a battery charger.

Two simple solutions to consider;
Buy a solar controller which has two battery outputs.

Fit a battery maintainer (or similar) which will help keep your engine battery charged if your leisure battery is being charged by solar. It’s easy to connect one simply by bridging your split charge relay, or you could connect directly to both batteries if you prefer

I fitted two of these on my van - I chose them as they have a 3a charging rate

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
It would depend on what load your terminal was capable of sustaining , if the vehicle battery was discharged there could be a surge , putting a fuse say 5 amp or 10amp inline would provide a safety ( the cig would most likely be fused anyway ) . I am not fully knowledgeable on configuration of the voltage stability on the load terminal of your controller . It might be that the feed would be capable of preventing the battery from going flat , but not enable a full charging regime . JMHO Trying it would provide a real world (cheap) answer

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Just fit a solar controller that has TWO battery outlets. They are available and work. You can select how much charge goes to each battery and when its full all the charge goes to the other one. Have a look at Photonic Universe.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'm a strong supporter of the KISS principle. Fit a battery master - just 2 simple connections plus an earth then forget about it. Been serving me well for years.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I don't think the load terminal voltage will be high enough to charge the battery. You need a dual battery solar controller.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
I have an Iveco 4 berth box motorcaravan that I am trying to sell with a Maplins 20W small solar panel in the windscreen, connected to a solar charge controller, connected to the engine battery. I also have a Big plastic key under the bonnet to isolate the engine battery. Engine battery is always fully charged.

OP
OP
Jev88
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
I have an Iveco 4 berth box motorcaravan that I am trying to sell with a Maplins 20W small solar panel in the windscreen, connected to a solar charge controller, connected to the engine battery. I also have a Big plastic key under the bonnet to isolate the engine battery. Engine battery is always fully charged.
Battery isolation switch for long term storage sounds good but doesn't it annoy you losing radio settings etc?

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
On a Previous van without the charge controller the battery goes up to 18V and pops fuses when you turn the ignition on.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Battery isolation switch for long term storage sounds good but doesn't it annoy you losing radio settings etc?
Iveco Motorcaravan is just up for sale, parked on the driveway with a fresh MOT not being used so radio not being used either. Iveco drove 50 miles since last MOT.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back