Solar/battery set up? (1 Viewer)

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
As my L/B"s are 5 yrs old and don't seem to be holding charge like they used to-I am looking into a diofferent set up.My needs are Propex htr/gas fridge /LED lights /small Cello 12v TV /gas hob+grille /and a bit of radio.I have split charge /80 amp solar panel and cheap 2 battery charge controller.At present I have 2x 110 lead/acid sealed batteries and wonder if its best to have one "high discharge "(AGM )?) 130ah battery instead.I know its been discussed before but seems a bit misleading.Any ideas ?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Never tried AGM but a lot of people don't speak highly of them, If you want to give them a try make sure that your charging devices are OK with AGM, I think a better option would be good lead acid or if you want to push the budget Gel again check your charger for Gel setting. You dont sound like a big user 20 2x80ah Gel or 2x100 or 110 lead acid should be loads.

Martin

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Your problem is that your current batteries don't hold charge any more. The capacity you replace them with will depend on your usage and the length of time you are without solar input. As funflair says, your demand appears modest so you may not need greater capacity. I'd replace like-for-like and then everything you currently have should be compatible.
If it ain't broke, don't mend it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My personal choice... A pair of 110ah lead acids.

AGMs are going out of favour plus you need a different charger if yours doesn't have the AGM selection option

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back