LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I use a lot of Autosmart products and am very impressed with their quality. However I would not recommend using TFR on a fabric roof.
Autoglym would be suitable for any fabric roof, to get the best results requires a lot of elbow grease

As above

TFR isn't ph neutral too much acid in it

This is what the muppets at the cheap Eastern European car wash places use

Stay well clear of it

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No, not vinyl at all, it is cloth so what ever I use I will then have to reseal it but that is the easy bit ! Got lots of experience with waterproofing all sorts of materials over the years thanks to being a soggy biker !! :xrofl:
Could I 'pick' your brain please Jaws ... I've bought a couple of inflatable canoes which I want to spray, they are obviously waterproof but don't have much solar protection so was thinking of using something like "Nikwax Tent & Gear SolarProof" to do the job, of course this would also help protect them too.

http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/productdetail.php?productid=498&itemid=-1&fabricid=-1

What do you think?

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Could I 'pick' your brain please Jaws ... I've bought a couple of inflatable canoes which I want to spray, they are obviously waterproof but don't have much solar protection so was thinking of using something like "Nikwax Tent & Gear SolarProof" to do the job, of course this would also help protect them too.

http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/productdetail.php?productid=498&itemid=-1&fabricid=-1

What do you think?
Absolutely mate..
In fact I am lucky enough to have had the full NikWax tour so to speak.. I was given all their products to test out for a few months about 6 years ago.
Not ONE product they supplied failed to do exactly what it said it would..
It aint the cheapest stuff around but is good for a whole season at the very least and does not wash off like a good many other products do :xwink:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Absolutely mate..
In fact I am lucky enough to have had the full NikWax tour so to speak.. I was given all their products to test out for a few months about 6 years ago.
Not ONE product they supplied failed to do exactly what it said it would..
It aint the cheapest stuff around but is good for a whole season at the very least and does not wash off like a good many other products do :xwink:
Ta chuck ... can't beat a recommendation from someone who knows what they're talking about!

PS: I'm a girlie .... :*

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi, as it is fabric, don't use bleach or pressure washer.
Deffo gentle elbow grease else you will damage the hood.
have fun!

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
The saab gets johnsons baby shampoo, elbow grease then finished off with fabsil. £20 for the lifetime of the car

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
I remembered this thread this morning while I was cleaning the hood on my Z3.
There have been some small but very persistent patches of moss-like algae in some of the crevices around the edge of the hood. I have always been a big fan of Auto Glym so I tried their Cabriolet Fabric Hood cleaning kit. Just dampen the hood, apply the cleaner, agitate it with the sponge provided, and finish off by applying the liquid protector.
The result is incredible; total outlay about £20 (seems to be enough for several more treatments) and half an hours easy work.

Incidentally, if anyone fancies a really tidy Z3 2.8 she is for sale. Steel Grey metallic with black hood and black leather. Shed-loads of spec, un-marked cross-spoke alloys, service history and bills. Just 42,000 miles. PM if interested for pictures or further details.
Stef.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I ended up just using water ! No detergent or chemicals at all..
I made no special effort other than to clean the whole car a little more often than my previous regime demanded ( I now clean it about once a month instead of once a year ! LOL !! )

Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
My thoughts as an ex-detailer...I write now for a few forums and something I wrote for the TT Forum.

Not sure if you can view the forum without being logged in so a copy and paste. If you can view, there is a "show and shine" section that might be useful for those with cleaning questions.

<First of all I really don't rate any of the "off the shelf" products, they're expensive and not very effective.
So, here's what I use...easy and cheap.

"Fabsil" is your friend. Buy it from camping/outdoor type shops, 2.5lts for around £13.00. Apply to a DRY hood with a 2" paintbrush, avoid splashing on paintwork (it won't damage paint - just messy!)And it does have a "restorative" effect deepening colour and giving it a new(er) look.

To clean your hood:
*Bucket, warm water and some Johnsons Baby Bath.
*Brush hood with hand brush to remove loose dirt (or vacuum)
*Soak hood with water and baby bath - work in solution using handbrush.
*Rinse with a free flow of water from a hose - no nozzle
*Allow to dry and re-proof with Fabsil. One coat is usually sufficient, though a second coat won't hurt 24hrs later.

Green mould? Use Milton baby bottle sterilising tablets and a soft toothbrush. The fluid will kill any mould spores. Mix as directed and apply solution with a nail brush and gently scrub. Leave for 5 mins and rinse off.

Bird Sh*t on roof? Carry a bottle of carbonated water and some kitchen towel, wipe off what you an with paper towel and trickle fizzy water over affected area... the bubbles will lift cr*p out of hood fabric.>

In the seven years since posting, no one has said I was talking out of my back end! Renovo, Autoglym etc really don't cut it for hoods...reproofing with Fabsil (after proper cleaning) will leave your hood looking as new:)

David

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back