So 5G what do you know and will it be worth changing..... (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I see that the new Samsung S10 will be 5G ready. OK what is 5G and what else will I need to receive it. My phone contract is due later this year just in time for the phone launch of 5G. How different will it be from 4G and will it really be worth making the leap to G5 technology so soon. I remember the arrival of 4G and the early restrictions on a signal I guess 5G will be no deferent.
So 5G what do you know and will it be worth changing.....(y)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Here's one advantage for starters, home Broadband on 5G. Looks interesting...
Broken Link Removed

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
seeing as getting 4g is difficult throughout the uk, it will be a long wait for 5g equipment to be rolled out

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
seeing as getting 4g is difficult throughout the uk, it will be a long wait for 5g equipment to be rolled out
Thanks TB1 4G is everywhere up here and has been for some years. Hopefully 5G will become as user ready.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
We haven't got a decent landline yet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks TB1 4G is everywhere up here and has been for some years. Hopefully 5G will become as user ready.
most of the UK is not in the south east so does not see the same rapid investment. take a look at this map and put your town in, then check say christchurch in Dorset. Coverage for 2g and 3g is pathetic in most towns and there are plans to run out 4g
https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/mobile-phone-providers/article/mobile-phone-coverage-map

so long as you dont stray too far from London and enter the real world, 5g should be perfect. for everyone else its a waste of time and money as you will pay for a service you cant receive

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We're lucky if we can get 3g, never mind 4g or 5g! On my tablet the best I can usually get is H++ whatever that is!
Cold be they are keeping the signal strength down case it detonates that 1000 tonnes of explosive off
on the SS Richard Montgomery just off your coast.....;)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
most of the UK is not in the south east so does not see the same rapid investment. take a look at this map and put your town in, then check say christchurch in Dorset. Coverage for 2g and 3g is pathetic in most towns and there are plans to run out 4g
https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/mobile-phone-providers/article/mobile-phone-coverage-map

so long as you dont stray too far from London and enter the real world, 5g should be perfect. for everyone else its a waste of time and money as you will pay for a service you cant receive
I guess it provides for the masses of users inside the M25 but I travel around a bit and it is mainly coastal regens which have bad reception. M1 M6 A1 M4 M27 M3 etc routes have good 4G reception.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Cold be they are keeping the signal strength down case it detonates that 1000 tonnes of explosive off
on the SS Richard Montgomery just off your coast.....;)
not so much chance of that after all these years. we have a few wrecks with live ordinance on the south coast and every storm could of caused an explosion over the last 75 years.

truth is that you have to pick a mobile provider very carefully down here as some of them just have no masts locally

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
not so much chance of that after all these years. we have a few wrecks with live ordinance on the south coast and every storm could of caused an explosion over the last 75 years.
truth is that you have to pick a mobile provider very carefully down here as some of them just have no masts locally
I guess we are a bit spoilt here in the mist of the masses. To be honest I didn't even give coverage a thought when I posted this thread...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back