Smart gearbox, which is the one that WILL be towable (1 Viewer)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I am looking to buy a Smart for 2, for my daughter to go to work, and am also wanting to know which is the towable one that will not grenade its gearbox. The early ones had the gearbox that is towable, but how do you tell or what date are they up to, are there special ways of locking the thing in a proper neutral so it doesn't do 10000rpm on the input shaft???????????? I think the late ones are dual clutch monsters that are permanently engaged to the rear wheels.

Last edited:

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
I've recently read that Daimler who make or badge the smarts still don't advise towing and to trailer them.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Depends if you're going to listen to Mercedes or the people on here who think they know better (y):whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Better going for a Toyota IQ, A lot nicer drive, feels like a big car in the front but has 2 rear seats also.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Latest Smarts that cannot be towed are dual clutch. They are instantly recognisable by the much changed shape or by the traditional PRND-marked gearshift. 2014-on. There is a manual version but I understand (unconfirmed) that it still cannot be towed because the gearbox uses pumped lubrication. Earlier versions can be towed because they are robotic manuals and a true Neutral exists. Wikipedia has a reasonable history of models. From a user point of view the dual-clutch transmission is by far the best of the bunch.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Depends if you're going to listen to Mercedes or the people on here who think they know better (y):whistle:
Or people on here who think they know better than the people on here who actually tow smart cars:rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Or people on here who think they know better than the people on here who actually tow smart cars:rolleyes:

You’ll forgive me if I continue to believe that the people who actually make the bloody car know what they’re talking about (y)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
No i won't' but i hope you will forgive me for pointing out what is staring you in the face
Note lack of profanity

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
No i won't' but i hope you will forgive me for pointing out what is staring you in the face
Note lack of profanity

Fine, whatever.

Mercedes are wrong.

You know best.

:rolleyes:

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I’ve researched this subject, with email correspondence with Mercedes help desk.
The 453 (the latest incarnation) cannot be flat towed according to mb.
However, the American version of the smartie, has been given Mercedes approval,
and the official drivers handbook explains how to do it, but ONLY ON THE AUTO SHIFT.
I believe merc eu are reluctant to approve in Europe due to the illegality of flat towing in their markets, along with other close neighbours.
The car are indentical in construction in both markets.
I have gone as far as finding the true neutral on the 453 auto, and the handbook is correct, easily done.
I trying to pluck up the courage:)
As at @tonyidle says, the 453 manual cannot be towed.

Hope this helps clear the air a bit.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Fine, whatever.

Mercedes are wrong.

You know best.

:rolleyes:
It appears I am
Sorry for the delay it took ages to fake this vid and of course after a trip down the road the Smart was scrap NOT
There's a pic of mine too five years of towing doesen't seem to have harmed mine either

20160423_123132.jpg

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
How do you make sure it is IN neutral and what does the key do . I understand the Dual clutch one should not be towed but it would be an old one nothing newish, but when was the change year?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
How do you make sure it is IN neutral and what does the key do . I understand the Dual clutch one should not be towed but it would be an old one nothing newish, but when was the change year?
2014 - ish. The robotic manual has a true Neutral - after all it is a normal gearbox with a normal clutch that is operated by servos rather than hands and feet. Neutral (N in the speedo display) is selected before turning off the engine. Once it's switched off gears cannot be engaged. If you are of a nervous disposition select Neutral, switch off, then try to push the car with the handbrake off. If it moves it's in Neutral. If you want a Funster-priced one I have a 2008 for sale.

Last edited:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The Early Smarts can be Flat towed, The Manufacturer does not recommend it, But then many manufacturers (and people) have this attitude as a way of arse covering. (Strange that the exact same spec model is OK for flat Towing according to Mercedes in the USA?)

The whole thing is a Mess and causes endless arguments because the Europeans are so stupid about flat towing. There is NOTHING unsafe about it. But it takes a Bureaucrat to make it illegal.

It was that sort of issue that was the final straw, when I started going to the USA and R-V`d and Flat towed there for over 5 years.

The only thing to remember is to MAKE SURE you have Neutral. WARNING. it is possible to get a false neutral. The early warning signs are not getting a neutral when stopped and failing to re-start. The cause is believed to be corrosion in the wiring loom causing signal loss.

I flat towed my Smart for hundreds of miles, before I had the failure, (false neutral) which cost me a new `Box and Engine!.

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
So what I've gathered over this thread then is...

You can flat tow a smart even though the manufacturers say you can't but this only applies to Europe. Is this due to the A frame rules in some European countries?
Also if there's any gearbox or engine failures due to flat towing and the manufacturers are able to find that it's been flat towed is this just an excuse to get out of the warranty if applicable.
@Geo
The op is looking at smarts but I believe you have just moved from a smart to a Toyota aygo (was it the aygo you had at old mo's)
Which one do you prefer pros and cons on both if you have time please as we maybe looking for little run around soon and both these and Citroën c1 fit the bill.
TIA
Paul

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Paul
First you should know i have been in the motor trade as a vehicle repairer both mechnical and crash repairs owning a MoT testing station an worksop currently a DVSA Authorised Vehicle Examiner and MO T Tester.
Secondly you should know there is not a vehicle made or designed to be dragged around by its nose.
Small cars however lend themselves to being towed.
However big cars can and do get used also
biggest i have used was a pugeot 407 cabriolet. biggest ive converted for a funster was Brian and Suzy's Jeep Commander.
Americans use an add on kit to the newer smarts to enable towing of certain models that couldn't be towed otherwise.
we dont have those available here
I believe it was Mercedes aproval of that kit in the US without effecting warranties that led to it being interpreted as Mercedes aproval to flat tow.
To answer your question, I prefered and enjoyed the Smart Car It was as Pammies request we changed.
Reasons given were lack of leg space in passenger side to battery box and I carried a spare wheel behing her seat.
Pammy did not like driving the Smart due to its querky gear change sytems ie auto or paddle choices.
Room in boot for Dog or Shopping not both.
Aygo 1ltr solves all those issues plus 4 seater if required. although the 700cc Smart seemed nippier than the Aygo
from memory the Aygo is aprox 100 kg heavier.
C1 Pug or Toyota ?
a Toyota will hold price better than a pug, and a pug better than a citroen
based on personal car sales experiance and why I paid bit more to secure Toyota over its rivals many proberbly wont agree
its why we all drive different cars anyway.
If your choice ticks your boxs thats all that matters. go for it.
Buying car that is already set up with A Frame is by far the best value.
Make sure insurance fully covers cars value.
Most insurers simply say yes you are fully covered for towing
without fully explaining its covered under the trailer section with very low payout limits circa 2k even then you may be asked make of trailer Smart car or C 1 will not be found in their trailer tick box's
leading to more problems
A frames in Spain are not excepted because of Spains towing laws not beacause its an A Framel !
You cant tow in spain full stop. No ropes no straight tow bars not even a mates broken down car up the street
No towing in Spain period
Hope some of that makes it clearer for some
Geo

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Paul
First you should know i have been in the motor trade as a vehicle repairer both mechnical and crash repairs owning a MoT testing station an worksop currently a DVSA Authorised Vehicle Examiner and MO T Tester.
Secondly you should know there is not a vehicle made or designed to be dragged around by its nose.
Small cars however lend themselves to being towed.
However big cars can and do get used also
biggest i have used was a pugeot 407 cabriolet. biggest ive converted for a funster was Brian and Suzy's Jeep Commander.
Americans use an add on kit to the newer smarts to enable towing of certain models that couldn't be towed otherwise.
we dont have those available here
I believe it was Mercedes aproval of that kit in the US without effecting warranties that led to it being interpreted as Mercedes aproval to flat tow.
To answer your question, I prefered and enjoyed the Smart Car It was as Pammies request we changed.
Reasons given were lack of leg space in passenger side to battery box and I carried a spare wheel behing her seat.
Pammy did not like driving the Smart due to its querky gear change sytems ie auto or paddle choices.
Room in boot for Dog or Shopping not both.
Aygo 1ltr solves all those issues plus 4 seater if required. although the 700cc Smart seemed nippier than the Aygo
from memory the Aygo is aprox 100 kg heavier.
C1 Pug or Toyota ?
a Toyota will hold price better than a pug, and a pug better than a citroen
based on personal car sales experiance and why I paid bit more to secure Toyota over its rivals many proberbly wont agree
its why we all drive different cars anyway.
If your choice ticks your boxs thats all that matters. go for it.
Buying car that is already set up with A Frame is by far the best value.
Make sure insurance fully covers cars value.
Most insurers simply say yes you are fully covered for towing
without fully explaining its covered under the trailer section with very low payout limits circa 2k even then you may be asked make of trailer Smart car or C 1 will not be found in their trailer tick box's
leading to more problems
A frames in Spain are not excepted because of Spains towing laws not beacause its an A Framel !
You cant tow in spain full stop. No ropes no straight tow bars not even a mates broken down car up the street
No towing in Spain period
Hope some of that makes it clearer for some
Geo
Cheers @Geo
I like the iQ but it looks smaller than the smarts maybe a height thing.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
IQ nice car better(Normal) drive than the smart but not enough boot space (less than the Smart me thinks)

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We towed a 2007 smart for three years not a ounce of bother towing,
But there are much better cars to tow driving the Smart is a bit like being in a ball not a good drive/ride,

Some people love them then again some people love tattoos and piercings,

It is a bit of personal taste.

We also towed an IQ 2 years much better feels like a proper car but now settled for a VW hi up mainly because of the 4 doors.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I would love a Smart with Tattoos and Piercings:hi5:

09-car-wrapping-smart-ice-tattoo.jpg

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Have Mercedes A framed one for hundreds of thousands of miles like collective members here have done over the years.
Mercedes are going on their technical information, funster are going on their personal/practical experience.
I know who's word I would believe.

Last edited:

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Wrong answer but safest and easiest route is probably a trailer not vehicle specific and no A frame to fit to towing vehicle

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Wrong answer but safest and easiest route is probably a trailer not vehicle specific and no A frame to fit to towing vehicle[/QUOTE]
What strange comments
Trailers are very much vehicle specific You cant put a heavy car on a small trailer
Trailers jackknife for amusment & snake like there on speed Toads Dont
Trailers are a burden weight 10 times as much take up 10 times the space A frames Dont
Towing vehicles use tow bars and have never required an A frame Ever

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
All i meant was a small car trailer will carry different types and models of small cars without fitting specific towing aid to a vehicle so selling a car and buying another would be easier but there are pros and cons whatever way you do it

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I see where you are coming from however now i have swopped cars i have to swap my trailer too as the aygo wont fit as its longer so next trailer will have to be 12ft minimum to make your theory work that also means im entering the larger / heavier world of trailers
and yes i do need an A frame Uk. and a trailer too EU

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back