Small motorised satellite dish recommendations (1 Viewer)

Incarpaul

Free Member
Sep 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Boxer Campervan
Exp
Looking at fitting a motorised satellite dish to our van but have limited space of around 60cm x 47cm ish,
What's the best options available and do you use this system? Also places to buy from?

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
We had satellite on our first van, but have moved over to a Firestick & unlimited wifi with a Smarty SIM card at £16 per month. You could get 4 years worth of tv in the UK for the price of a cheap satellite system. We also spent a lot of time moving pitches to avoid trees, buildings etc, when we had the satellite dish, & found it to be rubbish in Europe. I know you would need a different sim for Europe, but if you are staying in the UK there are many unlimited plans out there! Just a thought!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
I

Incarpaul

Free Member
Sep 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Boxer Campervan
Exp
Don't think there's a lot of choice out there given your size limitations. Not got one of these (we've got a Snipe 2) but might be worth looking at (if it's for UK use only).
Amazon product ASIN B0716RR5CMGoogle for other suppliers \ fitters (if required).
Don't think there's a lot of choice out there given your size limitations. Not got one of these (we've got a Snipe 2) but might be worth looking at (if it's for UK use only).
Amazon product ASIN B0716RR5CMGoogle for other suppliers \ fitters (if required).
Been looking at the snipe you mentioned size quoted would fit the space if fitted sideways but not sure if this would cause issue’s when it’s rotating? Does the base swivel out much when it turns?

OP
OP
I

Incarpaul

Free Member
Sep 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Boxer Campervan
Exp
We had satellite on our first van, but have moved over to a Firestick & unlimited wifi with a Smarty SIM card at £16 per month. You could get 4 years worth of tv in the UK for the price of a cheap satellite system. We also spent a lot of time moving pitches to avoid trees, buildings etc, when we had the satellite dish, & found it to be rubbish in Europe. I know you would need a different sim for Europe, but if you are staying in the UK there are many unlimited plans out there! Just a thought!
Few places we go don’t have phone signal.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Been looking at the snipe you mentioned size quoted would fit the space if fitted sideways but not sure if this would cause issue’s when it’s rotating? Does the base swivel out much when it turns?
User manual for a Snipe 2 attached. Page 15 (in the pdf file) gives you the absolute minimal clearances required and the "parked" dimensions. Note the diameter clearance required (min) is 64cm which exceeds your stated space available in your initial post.

The base is fixed but the rectangular dish \ plate rotates and skews.

Few places we go don’t have phone signal.
That's the reason we have our Snipe (Northern Scotland is particularly poor for mobile signal).

Attachments

• Snipe 2 user manual (eng).pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
OP
OP
I

Incarpaul

Free Member
Sep 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Boxer Campervan
Exp
Thanks for the info and taking the time to get the pdf will check it tomorrow.

Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
We have a Snipe 3.... I was after a dish type but these get a decent write up, we also have a firestick too so we cover all bases....and yes we go to places with nil or very poor phone signal and also TV signal. As for satellite in the EU I'm told we can go down a fair way into France with the Snipe, some have reported near Lyon....... and to be honest if we ran out of signal on Astra 2 the European beam over there....I'd tune into Hotbird or Astra 19 to be fair..

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have a Snipe 2 received Astra 2 as far south as 40km North of Orange.
The Snipe should be mounted with the front facing the front of vehicle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back