Sky + Box in Motorhome (1 Viewer)

Jul 6, 2018
Funster No
Probably been covered lots of times but....

...just upgraded to Sky Q and Sky engineer said I could put old Sky+ box in motorhome and connect to satellite. Can get BBC, ITV, Channel 4 & 5 but eg Dave, Quest, Discovery etc. say need viewing card.

Is there any way round this? I thought these channels were free to view and should be obtainable. Don't expect (or want) Sky subscription channels

Any help greatly appreciated

Dave_E

Free Member
Sep 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Could you not use the sky go app for free.I'm looking at getting WiFi for the van and hoping I can stream this and other stuff but still researching it

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011

...just upgraded to Sky Q and Sky engineer said I could put old Sky+ box in motorhome and connect to satellite. Can get BBC, ITV, Channel 4 & 5 but eg Dave, Quest, Discovery etc. say need viewing card.

Is there any way round this? I thought these channels were free to view and should be obtainable. Don't expect (or want) Sky subscription channels

Exactly why I won’t upgrade to Q as you cannot use Q card in sky HD box. I believe there is an upgraded LNB to put on your dish but not cheap and I cannot comment on how effective it is as don’t have one.😊

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
I have Q in the house and a 4g network in the van, firestick and an old MacBook 💻 with sky go on it and I connect it up to tv hdmi and can watch all my sky channels and recording’s also.😷👍

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The Sky + box is a big old lump to use in a motorhome just for free channels plus needs a mains connection or via an inverter.

Much better to buy a 12v Freesat box.. (y)
Scrap the plus box, rip it open and there is a 500 or 1tb harddrive in there.. :hi5:

Here is the free channel list.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Much better to buy a 12v Freesat box.. (y)
Scrap the plus box, rip it open and there is a 500 or 1tb harddrive in there.. :hi5:

though you need to reformat the hard drive before using it - i have a couple ready to reformat when i get chance to sit down and play with them

another vote for a 12v 'box' of one sort or another ...

OP
OP
C
Jul 6, 2018
Funster No
looks like the Sky Box will be consigned to the "we may need it in the future" pile and a 12V box is needed.

Thanks all

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None

Dave (SD) and Quest (both SD and HD) are free to air on satellite, just like BBC, so no card required.
(free to air - no encryption, no subscription, no card, free to view - encryption, no subscription, card required)
Dave HD is a subscription channel.
So if you are trying to access Dave HD on Sky 111, then try the SD version on 811 until your box updates to reflect the fact you do not have an active viewing card.

The Discovery channels are all pay, although their Dmax and Quests channels are free to air.

Dave_E

Free Member
Sep 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Please advise.I'm new to all this malarkey and as I stated earlier I am looking to get the apps and stream to tablet/phone and TV if I get one.I am now reading about sat.dishes,sky boxes,freeview boxes and hard drives and all sorts of stuff.Bearing in mind all the good deals on data etc.that you can get am I missing something here and more importantly will I be able to watch the football when I'm in Europe.. Views please.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005

Amazon Firestick?

Phil 748

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Newark Notts
Funster No
MH
AS Nuevo ES 06
Exp
Hi Dave E, When we first got our MH it had Sat Dish which we got a Free View box from Agros for it. Then after a while as we are pay for Virgin TV in the house started to look to see if we could find away to have that in the MH, So got a FIRESTICK and good date package from Three unlimited £18 a month, and download Virgin TV to Go on it now can watch all our normal TV in the MH

Phil

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
does this have a hard drive to record things on - can't see that on the spec.
No, it's just a FreeSat receiver. Humax used to make recordable FreeSat receivers but think the are now made \ marketed by FreeSat themselves.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
No, it's just a FreeSat receiver. Humax used to make recordable FreeSat receivers but think the are now made \ marketed by FreeSat themselves.
Humax still do a freesat recorder we have one at home ( and just checked on line).
It would be neat to have a large but small hard drive recorder - can you have one in combination with a firestick I wonder?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Humax still do a freesat recorder we have one at home ( and just checked on line).
As far as I'm aware Humax FreeSat recorders production has ceased with only factory refurbished, and perhaps old retailer stock, still available. No new units being produced.
<Broken link removed>

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back