Rally Chat Shrewsbury New Year 2018/19 - The music and event thread (1 Viewer)

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi all.

Over the weekend we'll be having music, especially for the main event. If anyone attending wants a special track, or artist please let me know here so I can try to ensure I have a copy with me.

Also if anyone has any skill, or game they would like to offer to the group. please either post it here or message me so we can fit it in. It might be giving us a turn with a microphone or instrument, a craft, a game etc.

Many thanks ..... Robin

To:
2. @Ambilkate
3. @daveandsan
4. @Carol
5. @Beacons
6. @tonyandcarol
7. @gloworm
8. @Chocy boy
9. @bungy
10. @garjanco
11. @Tom A
12. @Anthea M
13. @toledo
14. @RedFrame
15. @Dizzy Izzy
16. @swanseajack13
17. @quickweh
18. @tonyl
19. @welshcake lady
20. @TrebleH
21. @raysalaugh
22. @macsontour
23. @Targetpaster
24. @Hils and Glenns
25. @Elaine brookin
26. @lunarman
27. @Detnor
28. @haganap
29. @The Dotties
30. @chocky
31. @Jacko's
32. @rosalan
33. @Calamity Kent
34. @meggie
35. @Silver-Fox
36. @Jandz
37. @Sparkly
38. @Junida
39. @Christine Short

Reserve list:
R1. @Athena Mattin - Offered awaiting confirmation

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
We have the normal bingo game Robin on iPad if anyone wants a bingo session . Have some bingo tickets left from previous meets. Could be an afternoon activity for those that want it.
A few laddies did a crochet knitting session at bonfire meet one afternoon.
we are there for five days at new-year so could always fit a session in if anyone is interested/ @Carol?
Games for the evenings havnt got anything myself as other funsters usually bring them along to play.
Play your cards right?
Roll a £1 coin to a bottle of wine/spirit closest wins @swanseajack13 is brilliant at this one

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Music for us Robin
1. nine times out of ten by Muriel day
2. Dance the night away by The Mavericks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
meanders

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I have had a little search and failed to discover what is happening in Shrewsbury. Is there anything we should know about, bring or wear?

OK. Here goes. Our thinking thus far:

Throughout the weekend: Tea and coffee will be available whenever the room is open. Bring your own mugs. Plus a paper plane challenge to build and decorate your own plane. Fly off will be sometime New Years Day, outside if the weather permits.

Friday 28th: Arrival of most people. Get-together in the evening with a craft challenge for everyone. It's called decorate your own badge. We would like everyone to wear a badge, certainly for the first few days, and as we have several newcomers to Fun who will not have Jim’s badges, we thought we'd make unique ones for this event that people decorate themselves. We have 100 badges with card inserts. Maybe a silly icebreaker activity if people are up for it but we want people to circulate, natter and meet everyone else in the room.

Sat 29th. Everyone else arrives. New arrivals get the craft challenge and hopefully the natter and chatter will continue. If enough people want it, we'll take Kate up on a game of bingo late afternoon or early evening. Fun and games in the evening and possibly a music-based quiz if time permits.

Sunday 30th. Late afternoon and on into the evening. Puzzle competition. We have identical jigsaw puzzles for each table so teams of up to ten. First team finished wins a valuable prize! :pinocchio:Well a prize anyway! We’ll have breaks when no-one can touch their puzzle so time to eat, not to cheat!

Monday 31st. Everyone will no doubt be prepping for the main event and putting their glad rags on. In previous years there has been little appetite for a theme night, but if that's what the majority want, that's fine, but please post here. There will be a Jacobs's table of food to share in the evening and then we party until the early hours. :dance2:

For those who have not been before, you bring a dish to share. Hot or cold, savoury or sweet. Hot food really needs to come in a slow cooker or similar, and we need to be very careful about the length of time food is out and not at the correct temperature. Hilary can advise if need be. Please bring only small portions as the aim is not to feed all 80 attendees. If cooking dishes yourselves, please bring a comprehensive ingredients list as at least one person has a food allergy and we don’t want to be calling any ambulances.

Tuesday 1st. We will not have access to the usual facilities for doing bacon roll’s, but thinking perhaps of a continental style breakfast/brunch. What are people’s views please?

For those staying on, there will be a get-together again in the evening. We have another quiz if people want it and usually there’s more than enough food from the previous day that’s safe to eat.

None of this is fixed in stone and we certainly don’t want to be too prescriptive, so please chip in with other ideas. Also please let us know of any special musical requests.

Many thanks ….. Hilary and Robin

tonyandcarol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2016
Spilsby Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Niesman bischoff Fla
Exp
since 2005
Music for me Robin 2 of my fav tracks
1. The Temptations Treat her like a lady
2. The Hollies Long Tall Woman In A Black Dress

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
We like to dress up for New Years evening, no theme, not sure what we will wear but unlikely to be evening dress onto which I would be sure to spill the steak tartar which I hope someone will be bringing in.

Simmoman

Free Member
Oct 11, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Tempo van conv
Exp
7 months
first time for us on Funster rally, hope its going to be fun. Motown music is good for us.

Aug 17, 2011
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
Exp
since 2005
It's our first funster rally also. Motown would be our choice, along with some Northern soul.

Reactions: XYL

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
If I want Glenn to get up dancing I always request Scissor Sisters I don't feel like dancing. Sure to get him up. (y)Also Love Shack B52s. So if you have them can you play those please, otherwise I will be a wallflower. :D

Odyssey

Free Member
Sep 26, 2018
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Motorhome
Exp
May 2018
Hi
Can the above list be updated please as we are not on it and we are payed and booked xx
Any country music
line dancers lol

OP
OP
meanders

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi
Can the above list be updated please as we are not on it and we are payed and booked xx
For some odd reason, the forum software will not let me edit the first post in this thread, so posting the current list here.

Hopefully you are all watching this thread? :xThumb:
@Ambilkate
@daveandsan
@Carol
@Beacons
@tonyandcarol
@gloworm
@Chocy boy
@Odyssey
@garjanco
@Tom A
@Simmoman
@toledo
@RedFrame
@Dizzy Izzy
@swanseajack13
@quickweh
@tonyl
@welshcake lady
@TrebleH
@raysalaugh
@macsontour
@Targetpaster
@Hils and Glenns
@Elaine brookin
@lunarman
@Detnor
@haganap
@The Dotties
@chocky
@Jacko's
@rosalan
@Calamity Kent
@meggie
@Silver-Fox
@Jandz
@Sparkly
@Junida
@Christine Short
@franknjan

Reserves:
@Red Dragon
@TinaL

OP
OP
meanders

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi
Any country music
line dancers lol
Does that mean you would be happy to teach anyone else that's interested during one of the days? Not saying anyone will be, but they might like the opportunity.

I have this album
Link Removed plus of course Achy Breaky Heart.

OP
OP
meanders

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We like to dress up for New Years evening, no theme, not sure what we will wear but unlikely to be evening dress onto which I would be sure to spill the steak tartar which I hope someone will be bringing in.
Happy you dress however you want and are most comfortable. Don't remember anyone in Black Tie, but if that's what grabs you, go right ahead. Most ladies seam to wear 'partyear' rather than evening dress.

Simmoman

Free Member
Oct 11, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Exp
7 months
Although Jan and I are going to this rally I cannot remember seeing details of address and costs. I assume there is EHU and usual decent site facilities. Where do I get the info please?

OP
OP
meanders

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi.

Hopefully you've now resolved everything to do with booking but please post back if not.

The venue is a showground and not a camp-site so facilities are limited. There is water and an Elsan point and some 'basic' toilets and showers. Last year the showers had already frozen and pipes burst so were out of action. There is no heating in the showers unless its been added this year.

There are further toilets in the main building that will be available whenever its open. The ladies is quite reasonable, but the gents again are functional but basic (and too cold to spend long pondering the meaning of life!)

The main room we can warm up very quickly, and no-one has ever told me they have been cold in the room.

If the ground is very wet such as two years ago, we will all be parking on the roads. In that scenario, getting EHU to everyone will be a challenge and you are likely to be sharing so will not have 16Amps available. As far as I remember, we've always been able to get some power to everyone. We suggest that you make sure you have enough gas on-board for heating. If anyone has spare leads please bring them. I have some 3-way 16A Ceeform splitters, and a couple of spare leads.

Also strongly recommend you bring welly boots, grip mats, wet and cold weather gear etc.

But the fun and friendship we have should keep you warm. :xgrin:

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Now to begin commissioning the van again. This should be difficult with the inevitable headache and metre of snow but fortunately with a house full of festive celebrators it will give me a chance to escape.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Just catching up with this thread, OK we are not on the Fun attendees list BUT we are having a little gathering of N+B owners in the downstairs room, Robin @meanders has promised to turn up the music that loud that we can all join in:xThumb: but the downstairs room will still be a bit quieter and anybody who wants a bit of "chill out time" are most welcome to come and join us, unless of course we have gate crashed your party which is quite possible, so then you can "chill" on your own.

So to help Robin out and in the spirit of having a good time I have volunteered that the N+B club will put on the bacon buns on New Years morning, OK they don't know that yet so I will wait till they have all had a drink and then tell them so it should be OK, if anybody else wants to help which I know they will just show up sober on the Tuesday morning:xdoh: or make you intentions known to me the day before, If you want to join in with the cooking bring along your Cadac or whatever is you chosen weapon and we will set up outside downstairs where we have a bit of cover if it rains, use propane gas as the blue stuff freezes and if you use the small canisters bring spare as they freeze as well and need swapping out and warming up every now and then.

So all you need to worry about is getting up and bringing a mug along as there will be tea and coffee, oh and of course your money £1.00 a bun. We will of course aim to cover our cost with a bit left over which will go to a charity to be decided.

If anybody still wants to be really healthy and go with the continental theme that's great, jay bring something along and join in.

Martin

OP
OP
meanders

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi all.

I've been getting a few queries from those who have never been before, some I think it will be their first ever Fun rally. I thought it might be helpful to give everyone the same information.

First things first. This is your rally, not mine. Nothing we have organised will be forced upon you. If you'd rather spend time in your own van with a book, TV, game or simply doing nothing, that's entirely your choice. You may get a knock on the door to check you are OK, but there is no obligation or arm twisting to join in. We hope you will participate and enjoy, but we are all different, and have different needs.

Alcohol. Funsters vary a lot in their views and intake of alcohol. Apart for a bit of bubbly at midnight, please bring your own drink. If you have something unusual for a taster, that's great, but please don't feel you've got to supply drinks for everyone. Please respect those Funsters who choose not to drink. We'll have some alcohol free bubbly available for those.

Jacobs table. This always just works. Bring enough of any dish that you might conceivably eat if nothing else was available. You are not feeding the whole room of 80+ people. Please bring your own plates and cultlery although we will have a supply of both in disposable form.

We plan to open the room during the day and the urn will stay on. Please bring your own mugs.

There are no shops or restaurants close by. It's about a 15-20 minute pleasant stroll into the historic town centre where just about anything can be bought. It's not level though and the footpath route has a few steps so mobility scooters and wheelchairs will need to stick to the roads. There are plenty of places to eat in the town including a Wetherspoons.

Any other queries, please post here, and we'll attempt to answer you. :xThumb:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Just to add to the post by @meanders about EHU. When we were there for the fireworks rally some of the hook ups were supplied from 13A sockets, this needs an adaptor so if you have one bring it with you.

Simmoman

Free Member
Oct 11, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Exp
7 months
tks for advice, they never said when I questioned them about the EHU. Have an adaptor we use at home. Cheers lunarman.

OP
OP
meanders

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Good advice @lunarman . I didn't think to mention it as I always carry a short 13A to 16A as well as the continental plug to 16A.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
yes, do not panic if we are not there for Saturday, it is highly likely we will be coming on Sunday instead and dog free.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back