Show us your plate and dish racks (1 Viewer)

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
While watching happy campers or whatever it was called the other day, I noticed that one of the motorhomes had a very nice insert in a draw for the plates etc.

I have some 5mm ply to make one the right shape for glasses and plates in the draw but was wondering, what have others done?

Show us yer plates? :)

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Didn’t realise there were different options apart from metal ones. Every day is a school day.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
bloomin heck that is expensive, think I will stick to wrapping them up in a t.towel. We had racks in our escape, they were a bit of a pain, struggled to find decent sized mugs to fit, seemed to be made for melamine and swifts own mugs think I have one left somewhere.

I2C

Feb 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2000
This is what we made for our cupboard, something to hold the plates etc. and a shelf for coffee, tea, and sugar. Has worked a treat for the last 5 years.

cupboard.jpg

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
This is what we made for our cupboard, something to hold the plates etc. and a shelf for coffee, tea, and sugar. Has worked a treat for the last 5 years.

View attachment 476092

From the avatar I can guess that that was cribbed from boat experience as that sort of double shelf arrangement is how most boats do it. Does take up a lot of lateral space for just a few items.

For our plates I found a wooden vertical plate rack and cut it down to size for one cupboard, and for the glasses and mugs bought a roll of non-slip material and lined the bottom of the shelves - they don't move, not like a boat in a
Force 7.

Geoff

I2C

Feb 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2000
I can’t take the credit for the design, Mrs I2C came up with that and did most of the prep work on the holes, I just fitted it. The shelf just seemed sensible to use up the space, I didn’t like all that empty space. Can all be removed if we ever sell and we can put back in the stupid metal rack Swift put in there.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Good idea, light as well so will take a look.

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Self build - I cut holes in my plywood shelf. Stemless wine glasses feel right but take up less space.

cups.jpg

Also added one of these arms to stop the plates moving and totally eliminated rattle. I had to cut it short with my grinder. Bowls don't rattle with the aid of a tea towel until I work something better out.

plate.jpg

Personally I don't like the idea of foam things. I like to be able to have a wipe clean surface which is why I painted all the insides of my cupboards in white gloss (low VOC) paint.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.

'Show us your plate and dish racks'.​

I just don't know how I'd get through each day without the excitement of the Fun forums as there's been such a gap in my life since soap dishes went out of fashion.
;)

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
I’m glad you started this thread. Watching with interest for ideas for when we finish building the van. We haven’t even got a kitchen cupboard yet :rofl:

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Bought two packs of four cloth tea towels in Home Bargains.

Wonder-Dryer-Tea-Towels-700-x-700.jpg

Ran them through the washing machine.

Took seven of them to a sewing shop.

Laid them out stacked on top of each other.

The machinist sewed them together along both sides of the long edges.

Slide one plate into each slot and on side plate into each of the opposite end slot.

Fold it in half and you have twelve plates packed and rattle free.

More or less towels can be used depending on how many plates you carry!

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Bought two packs of four cloth tea towels in Home Bargains.

Ran them through the washing machine.

Took seven of them to a sewing shop.

Laid them out stacked on top of each other.

The machinist sewed them together along both sides of the long edges.

Slide one plate into each slot and on side plate into each of the opposite end slot.

Fold it in half and you have twelve plates packed and rattle free.

More or less towels can be used depending on how many plates you carry!

I might do that for my bowls. I'm not great with a sewing machine but I bet I could do that. I have been known to knock up cloth bags for my old cane fishing rods too. :roflmto:

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
I have this, but with an elastic strap that goes infront of the plates and another over the mugs.

1616512578555.png

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I might do that for my bowls. I'm not great with a sewing machine but I bet I could do that. I have been known to knock up cloth bags for my old cane fishing rods too. :roflmto:
I made a blokey type bag from half an old pair of jeans for my camping chair to replace the flimsy one that seemed to be made from Bri-Nylon nightie fabric.

(Folk do laugh at my Jake the Peg impression after a few glasses of St Emilion).
2018-03-11 Jeans bags 004.JPG

2018-03-11 Jeans bags 003.JPG

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years

It's an easy sew, I only took it to a clothes repairer because my machine couldn't cope with the thickness.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
One of these for plates etc

Had one in our Kon-Tiki 679 and SWMBO requested similar in our Rapido 8096 so found one on ebay (I think it was) now fitted using command strips so can be removed if necessary.

Guess it depends on how much space you have and if an issue. Whilst it's quite a tidy arrangement its not best use of a tight space.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back