Sevel (Ducato/Boxer) high level brake lamp removal - help! (1 Viewer)

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Hi All,

I had a twin reversing camera fitted just above the 3rd brake lamp with 90 and 120 degree views, and after a small test (when lined up at the same level to show the same view!) discovered that the 90degree was pointing down for reversing and the 120 degree one was pointing back as a driving mirror. Doh!

I did this test as I couldn't see very far back when reversing and everything in the rear view was a bit small when driving. Anyway switching the camera angles was easy and all done, but now I need to switch the lead sockets themselves, which I think may be bundled just behind the rear 3rd brake lamp. I've removed the screws (Philips 3) but it still seems to be clipped in, any ideas how it's supposed to come out?

Thanks in advance!

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
No idea, on yours, but with mine the plastic end caps came off to expose two screws, don’t think mine is standard Fiat though.

But if struggling could you swap at the monitor end?

OP
OP
GPW

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
No idea, on yours, but with mine the plastic end caps came off to expose two screws, don’t think mine is standard Fiat though.

But if struggling could you swap at the monitor end?

I thought of that but there's a single 'everything' wire going into the monitor (It's a rear view mirror), I suspect the magic of the switchover and reversing lamp connection all happens at the back and a single (cheaper!) wire goes to the front.

Also on advert pics of the camera (the usual white twin lens one) the leads from the camera are quite short. There's no access from the lining inside so I'm thinking it must all be coiled behind the lamp.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Don’t think that will help you much, you really need to look inside the van at high level as the connections could be well away from the rear light.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Is it not easier to just switch the connections on the back of the monitor in the cab?

I know my dual camera only has a single combined lead, so I'd have to swap at the cab end regardless.

OP
OP
GPW

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Is it not easier to just switch the connections on the back of the monitor in the cab?

I know my dual camera only has a single combined lead, so I'd have to swap at the cab end regardless.

Interestingly I can switch between monitors from the display, but the 'I'm in reverse' signal cannot be flipped so the switch to the correct camera doesn't happen if I select the right one to view.

As a short term 'fix' until I ask the dealer to fix it with the wires it could work though.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Mine has three connections at the rear (one is power supply), but are a fair size, then cable to the front. Three more connections, but these connections go onto a cable that then go to a third connection, a very small connector that attaches to the monitor connector. This is also the point where the power supply enters the system (suppling both live, neg, and reverse gear identification) to monitor, and cameras. Could yours be similar? So you wouldn’t be looking directly next to monitor?

OP
OP
GPW

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Do you think it would be possible to swap the camera feeds over at this forward small connector? I'm guessing that would be behind the courtesy lamps in the cab.

Both are clearly always energized, but the reverse trigger always switches in an unalterable AV1/AV2 manner.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
That is where I swapped mine after installing. So the bigger connection point, just before the small connection to monitor. Mine is in my B post in the van if that helps. Can you find where the power enters the system?

OP
OP
GPW

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Well I got the lamp off! It has two plastic clips each side so I eased one side out with my fingers and all was well. Here the wires are spliced together into one wire and whizz off to the LHS somewhere. So they ran them behind the cabinets I think as they are not on the chassis.

How does one get the cockpit light cluster off where the door-open lamps are? This appears to be my next place to look having drawn a blank so far..

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
If you look up at it you will see small cutouts where clear plastic meet grey surrounding plastic lever out clear bit and it will show you

OP
OP
GPW

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
If you look up at it you will see small cutouts where clear plastic meet grey surrounding plastic lever out clear bit and it will show you

Ok, I used some plastic trim tools to ease it open, it is the same module as used in the Fiat 500! Nothing behind there, but I could see the monitor wire runs off to the RHS top of the screen where I lost it!. I suppose the junction could be in the dash or in the B pillar, probably in the dash as that's where it probably gets the power and 'reverse' signal.

Having exhausted the obvious places I think I'll just use the AV select button for a while until I pop by SMC to get some other teething issues done, life's too short for me to be hunting around, at least I now have the wider angle facing down and the narrower angle facing back!

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
My aftermarket one has a single lead in to monitor but hidden behind dash is separate connectors from each camera.
Worth Tracing the wire behind the dash?

Reactions: GPW
OP
OP
GPW

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
If I was more confident at getting into the dash it would help, I need to find some youtube demo of someone popping out the vents and taking off the drinks holder...

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
In 6 months I reckon I have had my lower dash off at least 10 times for different jobs and rectifying problems or adding upgrades.

OP
OP
GPW

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Any tips on how to get in? I know the vents pop out but don't know where the clips are, I do have a set of plastic trim levers though.

I could also do with accessing the radio wires too as the domestic/vehicle power mix currently needs some of my input!

OP
OP
GPW

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
2019. They all look the same but I think there was a change in 2007.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Mine is Allen bolt under side dash vent near window. Two screws seen with glovebox open. Two low screws at either end of left hand dash piece. And there are a couple of higher up.locating pins that click in and out. You then reach up under extreme left of dash to undo a screw that holds first mentioned side vent to vent pipe inside - or snap it off like I did

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back