Selling 'Rejected' Motorhomes (1 Viewer)

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I've just read a post on a different forum whereby a guy has rejected his new Autotrail MoHo and after a few days of going through the relevant rejection process it was collected yesterday by the dealer (not disclosed)

None of the faults have been fixed and yet it's already back on the dealer's forecourt for £69,995.

I wonder if the dealer will fix it or just sell it on to some poor unsuspecting soul.

One other lady rejected her new van, same brand, and it too went back on the forecourt the next day with none of the leaks and issues fixed. The dealer did however say to a prospective buyer that the previous new owner had fallen on hard times and had to return it immediately after collection - I suppose that's one good cover story.

Would you guys ever buy a 20-day old van with a few miles on the clock. Some do!

What should happen to rejected motorhomes - I've always wondered since the act of rejection seems to be more prevalent these days? Are the dealer's obliged to repair them or just get them up for sale again.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Maybe they buy in a used van warranty and then claim on that :unsure:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Would you guys ever buy a 20-day old van with a few miles on the clock. Some do!
The sight of a brief previous owner on the V5 would make me suspicious.

Many sales people don't have a clue about what they're selling.
Long story short...............
When I was about to retire I parked my leased company car at a large national dealer with rows and rows of cars for sale to buy a used personal replacement.
After turning down a couple and whilst walking back to my car the salesman suggested that I looked at a low mileage, one owner, immaculate Audi A4 with full service history that had just come in. I declined, thanked him for his time, unlocked it and drove back home.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
They shouldn't be allowed to sell them unless they have been fully rectified and independently inspected.
We rejected ours Lenny as it had a serious problem, they promised they wouldn’t sell it until it was fixed, and then on the Salespersons day off another salesman sold it to someone a few miles away, I felt dreadful, they did get in touch and told me they had to have it repaired. We live in North Wales and we bought in Preston, so they were quite worried when they realised it was almost on my doorstep

Aug 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
What should happen to rejected motorhomes
Just my two pen'orth: A bit like an MOT failure, a new vehicle ordered/purchased/inspected/rejected.......should have the rejection reason/s and/or rectification available to be viewed (on request?) you know for transparency ;)

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
Personally I'm not sure which is more loathsome an estate agent or a car/motorhome salesman both just leech on vulnerable and at the moment desperate people

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
A couple of written questions to any dealer about any vehicle that you intend to buy. Q 1 has this vehicle been rejected as not fit for purpose under the consumer rights act. Seek the answer in written formate. Then you agree to buy. If it is found that the dealer has lied you you to obtain the sale he commits an offence under section 2 Fraud act. Fraud by false representation. You will see them swerving then

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
There are pro's and con's from buying a motorhome from anywhere, new or used.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I could be so wrong, however it may be that vehicles are being rushed through manufacturing as the demand is high, in a few years time on here I suspect a question will be asked, "Is that a 2021 reg Motorhome"
Might elicit some interesting responses, like well that was an unfortunate time or the like!

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
A couple of written questions to any dealer about any vehicle that you intend to buy. Q 1 has this vehicle been rejected as not fit for purpose under the consumer rights act. Seek the answer in written formate. Then you agree to buy. If it is found that the dealer has lied you you to obtain the sale he commits an offence under section 2 Fraud act. Fraud by false representation. You will see them swerving then
Or probably not replying in writing because the next person through the door won't be bothered

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
Our Autotrail Delaware was 6 months old and had done 1600 miles when we bought it from Brownhills. We had looked at the new ones at the NEC and thought they were beyond our budget. David (one of their sales team) suggested we kept an eye on their web site. We went home, looked on-line and bought this the next day. It originally came from Essex and the warranty document was incorrect, giving the lesser protection from the previous year. This was one of the very few things that took a great deal of pushing on our part to sort out. I often wonder why the previous owner sold it; was there something wrong with it, or was 7.9 metres just too much to handle - it could have been part-exed?
We could have bought ourselves a whole heap of trouble, as earlier posters have suggested, and we weren’t new to motorhomes, having bought two before, so would only have ourselves to blame. Five years later, after happy travels and four habitat services from John’s Cross, we are convinced we were lucky.
I never asked why it was sold to them as I felt I may not get the truth - they were not under any obligation to tell us. David was very fair with us and we trusted him, and in our dealings with Brownhills we have kept in touch and have had no reason to alter our initial opinion.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I've seen people on here rejecting vans because they considered that the remaining weight allowance was insufficient and the van not fit for purpose. Regardless of whether the point is fair or not the fact remains that there is very little that the dealer could do about that.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've seen people on here rejecting vans because they considered that the remaining weight allowance was insufficient and the van not fit for purpose. Regardless of whether the point is fair or not the fact remains that there is very little that the dealer could do about that.
Shouldn't be offering vans for sale that are usable.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
If the MH was rejected because it has one or more serious defects, such as leaks, the resale by the dealer to an unsuspecting buyer automatically involves similar breaches of implied terms of contract applicable to sales to a consumer. Rinse and repeat. Not rectifying the defects before the second sale seems rather pointless. Instead of one unhappy customer out there telling all and sundry that they had a bad experience, now you have two unhappy customers damaging your reputation.

Are these dealers thinking the market is so crazy such things don't matter, and eventually another mug will take it off their hands without complaining?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Are these dealers thinking the market is so crazy such things don't matter
I suspect most dealers would rectify the problem to avoid a repeat if the problem was serious. But there are cowboys out there who will chance it unfortunately.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

I doubt if the buyer could reject for low payload alone unless he was given misleading information (misrepresentation).

If that were the case then the dealer could do something about it - tell the bloody truth next time!

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I could be so wrong, however it may be that vehicles are being rushed through manufacturing as the demand is high, in a few years time on here I suspect a question will be asked, "Is that a 2021 reg Motorhome"
Might elicit some interesting responses, like well that was an unfortunate time or the like!

We were just chatting about the same the other day!

One Brit manufacturer has recently let a proportion of its staff go but it now finds itself in a position where more staff are needed to cope with the increased demand.

I did hear of one unskilled guy that was working in a restaurant on the Friday and by the following week he was fitting underslung water tanks to motorhomes.

On one particular forum I can already see the various build quality problems emerging from the recently built vans.

It's a great point you made BTW :)

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
I once rejected a MH after making a deal at the NEC, when I discovered the payload was only 240kg. We travel light, but even that would have been pushing it.

Oct 19, 2019
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Swift
Exp
Since 2012
In 2016 I rejected a motorhome less than 6 months old that had 60 plus faults with it. Most were rectified when I handed it back and it was resold within a week., One year later this M H was on sale in a different dealers and upon looking around it some of the faults I had reported were still not sorted so buyer beware.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I did hear of one unskilled guy that was working in a restaurant on the Friday and by the following week he was fitting underslung water tanks to motorhomes.
Last year a pal's brother took early retirement as a BA cabin steward and now works for a m/h dealer doing habitation repairs and fitting optional extras - awnings, reversing cameras, solar panels etc.
I guess it's all down to being given good training, supervision and quality controls whilst gaining experience. After all many of us 'non-professionals' add and repair stuff on our own m/h's.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Some good points by you guys :cool:

If I were to buy a motorhome in the future then perhaps my first question to the dealer would be:

"Was it built during the 2020 and 2021 Covid era".

Enough said.

Sep 22, 2020
Shropshire UK
Funster No
MH
VW California Ocean
Exp
4th MH/Campervan - Getting progressively smaller!
But surely as the vans./châssis are in short supply they may be building them as fast as they can but in reality no faster than normal. We have been told that they will build ours as soon as they have the van from fiat but that van supplies are much slower than normal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back