Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Why can't some clever person invent a sat nav where you just point with say a pen on to a map where you would like to go, rather then punching in coordinates etc. Or draw a preferred route avoiding tolls etc.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
My Garmin Zumo 660 has these features...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ivory55

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Do you just point something on the screen and it joins the dots together ?

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Our Tom Tom can do a route for you from "here" to any other place you tap on the map, including or excluding tolls. Almost instant.

Also the free maps.me app on our mobile phones can now do the same, and can even route for cycling or walking as well as for driving. And that's anywhere across all of Europe between any 2 tapped in points, in a few seconds.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Suggest you look at the Garmin website and also there are also tutorial videos on the web, just do a search. There are no dots to join you just select the destinations with your finger then navigate to it.

OP
OP
Ivory55

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Suggest you look at the Garmin website and also there are also tutorial videos on the web, just do a search. There are no dots to join you just select the destinations with your finger then navigate to it.
Think I m beyond tutorial, haha. Technology not my thing. Will have a look thanks

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
The other excellent 'feature' with Garmin is their free OFF LINE mapping programs, create your own route then download to your device.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I have been searching for just such a navigation app without success. I managed to get my required route drawn on google "my maps" but it wouldn't give en route navigation.
I searched online and there are lots of people using motorbikes and cycles who want such an app.
I had drawn up a route for our classic car from Bristol to Goodwood using B toads in the main but certainly avoiding motorways, A34 and A303. We managed to follow the route from written down instructions but could not find an app to use that wouldn't always divert to its best route between any 2 points.
I should add we were both driving separate vehicles on our own so using a paper map, nor even our written instructions in open top car, was very easy!
If anyone knows of such an app would be grateful.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@Riverbankannie

We have Sygic on our tablet ... easy peezy lemon squeezey to do on that!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
My iGo app allows you to do that. You can point on a map and then select the route from various ones suggested - if you know of an even better route you can put in a waypoint to force the machine to route you that way :)

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
I have been searching for just such a navigation app without success. I managed to get my required route drawn on google "my maps" but it wouldn't give en route navigation.
I searched online and there are lots of people using motorbikes and cycles who want such an app.
I had drawn up a route for our classic car from Bristol to Goodwood using B toads in the main but certainly avoiding motorways, A34 and A303. We managed to follow the route from written down instructions but could not find an app to use that wouldn't always divert to its best route between any 2 points.
I should add we were both driving separate vehicles on our own so using a paper map, nor even our written instructions in open top car, was very easy!
If anyone knows of such an app would be grateful.
Co Pilot creates a route that you can then 'drag' to your preferred roads.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
@Riverbankannie

My iGo app allows you to do that. You can point on a map and then select the route from various ones suggested - if you know of an even better route you can put in a waypoint to force the machine to route you that way :)

Co Pilot creates a route that you can then 'drag' to your preferred roads.

Thanks. I will test them out once home , using my Goodwood route as a benchmark.

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
I love my gadgets. But stopped using the sat nav last year. I love looking at maps so back to them for me. If we go wrong we find somewhere to turn round and try again. I do use the map function on the iPad as well as the hard map to look at the route I want to take but then just use the hard map on the route with a few road number prompts on a postit.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I love my gadgets. But stopped using the sat nav last year. I love looking at maps so back to them for me. If we go wrong we find somewhere to turn round and try again. I do use the map function on the iPad as well as the hard map to look at the route I want to take but then just use the hard map on the route with a few road number prompts on a postit.
I admire that way of doing it, as you probably get more of it and the journey. But I think I'm too lazy and the sat nag is just too quick and easy:)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I don’t fancy tying to negotiate large towns and multiple motorway junctions with a map. My co piloted would be feeling nauseous trying to read it and direct me at the same time. I would miss the correct turn off and there would be stress and argument. I woulnt get warnings of speed limit changes or nearby dangers like schools, sharp bends, etc etc and I would not always now which lane to be in. Finding locations like petrol stations, aires, stellplatz and supermarkets would be guesswork. I remember Lyon and Paris as well as other towns before we used sat nav. It was a nightmare. Now it’s relaxed and easy for most of the time. Less stress and more enjoyable certainly for me and most definitely for her.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

I admire that way of doing it, as you probably get more of it and the journey. But I think I'm too lazy and the sat nag is just too quick and easy:)

I use both at the same time - the satnag with sound off. EXCEPT in towns when we rely on the satnag (Nigel) after having checked he really does know where he is going.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
@Riverbankannie

I have got around to looking at Sygic. I have dwnloaded the user manual and tried to see if I could do my route. I haven't yet downloaded the paid for app though but willing to do something if it will do the job. From reading the instructions, I am not sure that what I want can be done but would be grateful if you could do a test with my route.

Route to Goodwood

B4465 to Tormarton

B4040 Tormarton to Acton Turville

B4039 Acton Turville to junction with A420

A4 through Chippenham

A342 to Devizes

A342 to Upavon

A342 to junction with A338

A338 junction with B3084

B3084 to Grateley

Turn left onto Old Stockbridge Road

Staggered junction onto Kentsboro Road to A30 into Stockbridge

B3049 to Winchester

A272 to Petersfield

B2146 to South Harding

B2141 to junction with A286

Turn off onto unknown road to Goodwood, follow signs.

Alternative to Devizes

From Tormarton to A46 to Bath

A4 to Box

A365 through Melksham

And on to join A361 into Devizes and then pick up A342

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
That looks like route that would be generated by Garmin on shortest route setting faster route setting would most likely be via Bath on A36 and M27 JMHO

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
As already said .. IGO Primo does it without any problems.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
That looks like route that would be generated by Garmin on shortest route setting faster route setting would most likely be via Bath on A36 and M27 JMHO
No I tried the shortest route setting on iPhone maps, Garmin satnav and tom tom satnav. I wanted that exact route. I was able to plot it on google my maps but not transfer that into real time driving directions.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
With garmin you start with putting in destination , then you put in what places you want to go thru in reverse order and it will add them as waypoints and adjust the route accordingly HTSH

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
With garmin you start with putting in destination , then you put in what places you want to go thru in reverse order and it will add them as waypoints and adjust the route accordingly HTSH
Yes, I do understand what you are saying and it does help a bit to turn off motorways which is how I used it but it will still try to take quickest or shortest route between any two points which is not necessarily what I want. It is difficult to put in road junctions as waypoints.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
As already said .. IGO Primo does it without any problems.
I've had a look and read through the user manual. It looks like it should do the job as you can select unlimited waypoints by selecting a point on the map. At least that is my understanding.
However, when I looked at the app in AppStore the reviews are terrible! That one is on hold for the moment.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back