Security / Tracker question from a newbie (1 Viewer)

syelad

Free Member
May 23, 2021
Leeds, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4i
Exp
I’m a newbie - since 2021
Hi All,

We are picking up a new Bailey Motorhome in a couple of weeks. Does anyone know if we have to have a tracker fitted? Would it depend on the insurance company? Is it something people recommend or is a visible security device a better option? Or both!?

Thank you!

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Up to the insurance company. You can sometimes get a discount by telling them you have one if they haven’t asked for it.
It’s a good idea if nothing else

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Depends on the insurer.
I would prefer to have a decent alarm fitted to stop the van being stolen rather than get a damaged van back afterwards.
By a decent alarm I mean an alarm specifically designed for a motorhome and not a modified car alarm.

Richard.

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
From reading a few posts on the subject, it would appear that the insurance discount often is less than the cost of the tracker. Also, not all trackers are totally up to the job.
Your choice at the end of the day.

Geoff

Upvote 0
Jun 13, 2020
Garden of England
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML T570
My experience was such that the value was the thing that seemed to determine whether a monitored tracker was required. £75,000 & £80,000 and above were the figures quoted.
If by choice I would by far prefer to have a good alarm fitted, and if not specifically stipulated by insurance company, coupled with a commercial grade tracker personally added, appx cost £150, with location credits, which switches on say every hour or so, then switches off thereby giving location status but not so easily scanned.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
I would hope your new van will be fitted with an alarm if not ask the dealer to fit one before you do the handover, I have an imobaliser , alarm and a tracker unit the tracker unit I think is great you can see battery voltage and where the van is on a phone app whenever you start the van up it sends you a message , also I just fitted a new cab battery and seconds after I disconnected the battery I got a call from the tracker folks saying the vans power had been disconnected ( sometimes when trying to steal a van the crooks think if you disconnect the power the tracker shuts down ) wouldn't be without the tracker unit .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
syelad

syelad

Free Member
May 23, 2021
Leeds, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4i
Exp
I’m a newbie - since 2021
Thank you so much everyone, really useful info. Sounds like a tracker of some sort is a good idea along with a really good alarm. We will probably go with a Clutch Claw too for a visual deterrent.

Upvote 0

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
syelad ................. Your better of with one of these =

<Broken link removed>

That way a potential thief can see it...

"Clutch claw"... The damage has been done trying to gain entry to your vehicle before they realise one is fitted.. :frowny:

Upvote 0

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Agree with old mo as well a steering wheel lock is a great deterrent that they can see , if your interested in looking at trackers the one I have in my van is a Phantom tracker make .

Upvote 0

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Vanbitz Vanbitz Vanbitz get the best i have the Strike back alarm, Shadow tracker, and Non starter, plus when parked at home a Milenco wheel clamp , and disklock steering wheel lock plus patriot lock for when you turn the drivers seat round, the tea leafs can't drive facing the wrong way round , good luck with your new van.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back