LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
My UK bak issues a small keypad into which I have to enter my PIN to generate a unique code to enter for my account and each transaction.

Can that be hacked whatever connection I use? I usually use latop tethered to phone.

Geoff

Try connecting to my free internet public WiFi hotspot and enter your PIN and lets see. I'm joking of course but if you do use a public WiFi how do you know that the site you are connecting to is really your bank? If you use a public WiFi then you could be served a spoof site which pretends to be your bank and you might give out enough information to be compromised in other ways.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My UK bak issues a small keypad into which I have to enter my PIN to generate a unique code to enter for my account and each transaction.

Can that be hacked whatever connection I use? I usually use latop tethered to phone.

Geoff
I guess almost anything can be hacked if someone points enough computing power at the task but if you use a device issued by your bank and follow their guidance you should be safe, in the sense if you lost money the bank would compensate you. I have one of those devices but now uses the bank's app on my phone which includes the same code generating functionality.

What has been criticised recently are the banks sending a code by SMS message. The argument is SMS was never designed to be secure and they should use something else, but a few banks are still using it.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
If you have a smart phone then download the app for your bank and set that up. that's about as secure as it gets for the end user. Most banks have them and saves messing with that stupid keykard / keypad thing I used to have with HSBC.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
I guess almost anything can be hacked if someone points enough computing power at the task but if you use a device issued by your bank and follow their guidance you should be safe, in the sense if you lost money the bank would compensate you. I have one of those devices but now uses the bank's app on my phone which includes the same code generating functionality.

What has been criticised recently are the banks sending a code by SMS message. The argument is SMS was never designed to be secure and they should use something else, but a few banks are still using it.
Also they insist on sending me a SMS message even though I tell them I don't get a mobile signal were I live so have to drive to the next village and by the time I get back the message has expired. Doh!

Reactions: DBK
Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004
I use the TunnelBear VPN on the few occasions I might want to pay for a ferry or check bank a/c etc. 500Mb on the free version is more than plenty whilst on holiday.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back