Second home owners reprimanded? (1 Viewer)

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Yes, but the mathematical models don't assume 100% compliance. The stuff I read, granted two weeks ago, only assumed a certain percentage of compliance with whatever restrictions they modelled. That's not an excuse to go and strut your stuff, just an acknowledgement that some folk will not or cannot comply so best allow for that in predicting the potential outcome.

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
I live in a tourist area, people are being asked to stay away from the area because there are not the health facilities to even look after locals, not for any other reason. Half of the medical staff are in self isolation, carers are leaving because they have no PPE , the system is breaking down, locals are terrified, we had no cases until a few weeks ago, when it was busier than any bank holiday weekend, now unfortunately people are dying.

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
I live in a tourist area, people are being asked to stay away from the area because there are not the health facilities to even look after locals, not for any other reason. Half of the medical staff are in self isolation, carers are leaving because they have no PPE , the system is breaking down, locals are terrified, we had no cases until a few weeks ago, when it was busier than any bank holiday weekend, now unfortunately people are dying.

And that’s entirely reasonable. It’s the same concern we all share just now in small, relatively isolated communities with limited resources. However, there are some on here who seem to think that is a narrow minded view because apparently we’re greedy, should be grateful for 2nd home owners money and it’s therefore ok for them to do whatever they want because they pay a few hundred quid in Council Tax!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
And that’s entirely reasonable. It’s the same concern we all share just now in small, relatively isolated communities with limited resources. However, there are some on here who seem to think that is a narrow minded view because apparently we’re greedy, should be grateful for 2nd home owners money and it’s therefore ok for them to do whatever they want because they pay a few hundred quid in Council Tax!
Well some did sell out the youngsters birthrights, then moan like a stuck pig about it

Greedy!

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
Well some did sell out the youngsters birthrights, then moan like a stuck pig about it

Greedy!
Ridiculous tosh! Everybody sells their property at the market rate. How does that make people in some areas greedy compared to anywhere else?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ridiculous tosh! Everybody sells their property at the market rate. How does that make people in some areas greedy compared to anywhere else?
If someone really wanted a property to remain in the hands of a 'local' they sell it at a rate the local buyers can afford with a covenant/condition on it so that it cannot be sold to anyone in the future who isn't a local, that it can't be used as a holiday let or a residential let etc, that way it will stay in the hands of locals who won't try to cash in on it.

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
If someone really wanted a property to remain in the hands of a 'local' they sell it at a rate the local buyers can afford with a covenant/condition on it so that it cannot be sold to anyone in the future who isn't a local, that it can't be used as a holiday let or a residential let etc, that way it will stay in the hands of locals who won't try to cash in on it.
Yes, but that’s la la land.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
It doesn't, but locals sell for top Dolllar then drip that locals cant afford the prices

Don't blame the buyers

It takes two to tango

You may think its ridiculous tosh, your opinion, the same as it would be your decision to either sell to a local, or grab the money and exacerbate the situation.

The fact is that outsiders can't buy houses if the locals won't sell them

Simple concept

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
It doesn't, but locals sell for top Dolllar then drip that locals cant afford the prices

Don't blame the buyers

It takes two to tango

You may think its ridiculous tosh, your opinion, the same as it would be your decision to either sell to a local, or grab the money and exacerbate the situation.

The fact is that outsiders can't buy houses if the locals won't sell them

Simple concept

You’ve lost the plot a bit in this thread. The original debate was about whether it’s ok for 2nd home owners to impose themselves on local communities with limited resources to fight Coronavirus rather than stay wherever they mostly reside. Just because market forces favour those from the home counties with purchasing power does that extend to rights to compete (against official advice) with local residents who do not have the same privilege for life saving treatment? Simple concept.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
You’ve lost the plot a bit in this thread. The original debate was about whether it’s ok for 2nd home owners to impose themselves on local communities with limited resources to fight Coronavirus rather than stay wherever they mostly reside. Just because market forces favour those from the home counties with purchasing power does that extend to rights to compete (against official advice) with local residents who do not have the same privilege for life saving treatment? Simple concept.
Lost the plot? That is so funny (y)No I only joined in when people started bemoaning that they ( the community) had priced themselves out of their own area, by grabbing outsiders money.

I simply pointed out that had the locals not sold to outsiders, the outsiders would not have 2nd homes to travel to.

So only themselves to blame. Yet some, drip and moan as if it is the buyers fault.

Having grown up in a West Country Tourist resort, I find the animosity shown prior to the lock down two faced, given how desperate most tourist areas are to be “inundated“ after a long winter with no income

Pre lock down, if some one owns two or more houses, it is nothing to do with anywhere else where someone decides to weather the storm

I suspect that some of the vitriol aimed at “outsider” could come back and bite communities on the arse, and Cornwalls (for example) continued economic survival depends on tourism

Going back to the OP the reason the Police took no action is that no one has broken the law.

OP
OP
Paulypaul
Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
Lost the plot? That is so funny (y)No I only joined in when people started bemoaning that they ( the community) had priced themselves out of their own area, by grabbing outsiders money.

I simply pointed out that had the locals not sold to outsiders, the outsiders would not have 2nd homes to travel to.

So only themselves to blame. Yet some, drip and moan as if it is the buyers fault.

Having grown up in a West Country Tourist resort, I find the animosity shown prior to the lock down two faced, given how desperate most tourist areas are to be “inundated“ after a long winter with no income

Pre lock down, if some one owns two or more houses, it is nothing to do with anywhere else where someone decides to weather the storm

I suspect that some of the vitriol aimed at “outsider” could come back and bite communities on the arse, and Cornwalls (for example) continued economic survival depends on tourism

Going back to the OP the reason the Police took no action is that no one has broken the law.
Even the "Public Health Regulations 2020" legislation? New legislation brought out on March 26th to support the Covid-19 government guidelines? Questionable whether no law has been broken I think?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Even the "Public Health Regulations 2020" legislation? New legislation brought out on March 26th to support the Covid-19 government guidelines? Questionable whether no law has been broken I think?
Well it seemed that the Police didn’t seem to think so from your post.

if someone owns a house, it is their business if they live in it or not, and it’s no one else’s business.

Admittedly I think it’s irresponsible to, relocate from one property to another after the lockdown has been in place.

All this nonsense about “my respirator“ It is the National Health Service, Mr Smith at Number 16 has as much right to access the NHS as Mr Patel at Number 18, irrespective that Mr Patel also owns a house in Croydon

In the same way that Mr Smith would be given NHS treatment if needed it in Croydon

Frankly, it has to be the “National“ health service to give the kind of medical cover and services, enjoyed by some in more remote areas.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Your right about the travelling to their second home being irresponsible. As long as your not implying that having a second home is in someway wrong. Second home owners bring valuable cash and work to often deprived areas of the country that would end up even more run down than they currently are. I just detect you are equally upset about people having second homes. I do not have a second home (but I would like one).
Most of the dispute over Second homes. Is about afordability for the young(er) villagers who are being priced out of the place they grew up in. We have some new builds on the cards here, we have been pressuring to get some of the so called "starter homes" offered to local youngsters first before being offered generally. When I put this to one of the development team at a seminar thing at the village school recently we got very little assurance. The buggers just do not care!. THAT is the top and bottom of local resentment to "second homers".

Oh, and to add more fuel to this fire. I also asked?. Where the infrastructure to support this "new" development(s) where?. Ie increased primary school capacity, and a larger Surgery.? To which there was a lot of Errring and Umm, Yes, well?. but no answer.!

Last edited:

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
let he who is without sin .......

i try to stick to the guidance. i have been out twice in the last two weeks to take my wife shopping, not exactly in line with the guidance, although i did stay in the car.

posting on this site though is unlikely to reach any other sinners, if people feel strongly about someone elses actions then they need to work out another way to challenge their behaviour.

if i lived in London or West Midlands, where their seems to be a high incidence of cases and i had a second home somewhere (that i could safely isolate in), i would have no moral conflict whatsoever in moving my family to a property i own that i perceive to offer them greater protection.

Of course with the new Nightingale hospitals being opened up, that place of greater protection might actually be to stay in London, West Midlands etc etc where treatment is potentially more readily available.

Its a judgement call and if people are genuinely trying to protect their families, then i certainly wont be judging them harshly,

Last edited:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
1586676486826.png

Unless you are a Celebrity, the P-M`s dad, The owner of a second home.?

One law for us, One for them.

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
if i lived in London or West Midlands, where their seems to be a high incidence of cases and i had a second home somewhere (that i could safely isolate in), i would have no moral conflict whatsoever in moving my family to a property i own that i perceive to offer them greater protection.

Of course you would...and that makes you part of the problem because your actions could endanger others.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Of course you would...and that makes you part of the problem because your actions could endanger others.

and thats the moral dilemma, whether to (within the law) protect my own family or not ....

im not sure i am part of the problem that you seem to have .....

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Big picture.
More people moving around, more chance of contact and more chance of infection spreading.

Individual picture.

If i had a secound home. Been in lockdown for 3 weeks, what risk do i pose?
in car, move permently to second home , out of car , remain in lock down mode, any increase in risk?

Issue is of course the amount of local NHS resources available in any area, are they planned on the static population?

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
If they were there before the lockdown then its the safest option. Besides they pay the council tax in both houses plus their taxes. Sending them on an unnecessary journey home is not going to help anyone and causes more risk. Besides if the locksown came in while they were there then staying put surely is the safest thing to do.

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
Issue is of course the amount of local NHS resources available in any area, are they planned on the static population?

I assume NHS planning is static population based as are all or most public services? Locally we know what happens to those services particularly A&E when the population temporarily doubles every August.

john1953

Free Member
May 29, 2014
middlewich, cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion.
Exp
since 2007
Let’s face it , we all know the only way to get through this until we get a vaccine is to take the advice from the scientists and stay at home and isolate , only making journeys that are necessary, these do not include going off on holiday or travelling to a “second home” if you choose to interpret the advice to suit your own actions or just totally ignore the advice then you absolutely are going to increase the risk to the NHS and other front line staff, and risk is what this is all about and reducing it to its barest minimum. I have a second home, it stands on four wheels and is parked on the drive, would I consider taking it out in a misguided attempt to protect my family? No, of course not, we would all consider that an unnecessary journey, just the same as travelling to a second home. No difference.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Big picture.
More people moving around, more chance of contact and more chance of infection spreading.

Individual picture.

If i had a secound home. Been in lockdown for 3 weeks, what risk do i pose?
in car, move permently to second home , out of car , remain in lock down mode, any increase in risk?

Then go out shopping and infect the local community, good plan?

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Wondering how many people have second homes in D & C
1k 2 k?

How do the services cope on a normal summer with all the second home owners plus the holiday makers plus the day trippers ? If I had to use the services i would rather use it during lockdown than bank holidays

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
Most of the dispute over Second homes. Is about afordability for the young(er) villagers who are being priced out of the place they grew up in. We have some new builds on the cards here, we have been pressuring to get some of the so called "starter homes" offered to local youngsters first before being offered generally. When I put this to one of the development team at a seminar thing at the village school recently we got very little assurance. The buggers just do not care!. THAT is the top and bottom of local resentment to "second homers".

Oh, and to add more fuel to this fire. I also asked?. Where the infrastructure to support this "new" development(s) where?. Ie increased primary school capacity, and a larger Surgery.? To which there was a lot of Errring and Umm, Yes, well?. but no answer.!
Think to be fair....the issue of whether or not there is local infrastructure to support future housing is not the issue for the person who wishes to build properties but for the local authorities who have given the planning permission for the properties to be built. Local authorities have to consider these issues prior to granting consent? If granted I can only assume they were happy that sufficient resources were in place or planned for?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back