Satellite Internet (1 Viewer)

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
I am fed up of being ripped off by BT, we have a very slow connection and the prices are on the up.
Does anyone have satellite Internet and use it at home, via WiFi from the motorhome. I have no idea if it is possible, but it sounds like a good idea to me. It would also mean we could use it at the house in France as well.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Many of our customers use their Oyster Internet systems in their homes

A couple that I know of park close enough that they can log onto the motorhome system wirelessly (We install the system with a 12 volt wireless router)

I know of one man that plugs an ethernet lead straight into the Oyster router drapes it out of the window, straight into his house router

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
According to the BroadbandEverywhere website you can also fit a second dish to your house and simply move the router from the motorhome and back again as required. You are stuck withe 10gb limit instead of the 20gb you can get with a fixed dish set-up in your house.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
We live out in the sticks with a download of 2mb so researched satellite phone/internet. Very limited download before you go into extra charges. Has been explained to us as "works well" when there is no other choice but can be very expensive. Ensure you know your download/upload requirements.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
Forgot to warm you non French speakers, be aware Megabits as in down load speeds. Talking to my French friend, moaning actually about our very disappointing 2 Megabit download, as she started giggling. I ignored her and continued to explain a friend lives near a large town and can easily get 100 Megabits. That was it, she just into fits of laughter. Nearly five minutes till she could talk again to explain. Mega (large-huge) bit (willy). Ah well another new lesson in French.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
We bought a dish from Tooway. Very expensive and my son could use a months supply of mega thingies in an afternoon. They then would throttle your speed down to next to nothing for the rest of the month.
We now use a local system called Beeline broadband that works really well with no download limits.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Have you tried a mifi? We have fibre but the 4g mifi competes very effectively - as we found when we were having openreach hassles.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
Because of our horrendous internet service here and the fact that we are personally on Orange and if we offer wifi via our box anyone who also has an Orange account can access our account emial @orange.fr info. Crazy system Orange offer, anyroad, we have a MiFi thingy for guests, we top up the first 10 euros then after that they top up themselves. We bought it for the guests and for us when out and about in Lilly (mh) prices again rather steep, I believe 10 euros per mb, ok for emails etc but that' about it. Curious, with these new cars on the market that have fitted hotspots what rules/limites exist for them?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back