Sat nav (1 Viewer)

peggy1957

Free Member
Jun 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
Peggysue57
hi. All we have hired a Motorhome to go to Newquay is there an app I can download sat; nav too avoid narrow country lanes
so one told me to get a bus and wagon one
also What would the cost be
thanks Andy

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
As far as I know, there are no free sat nav apps that have adjustable vehicle lengths, widths and heights. Google maps is easy and free. Avtex Tourer Two that we use is around £350. Definitely not worth buying for a hire.

John H.

Free Member
Apr 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
A long time
An expensive sat-nav might still take you the wrong way. A good old map could be better.

But to get to Newquay, the M5 and then the A38 will keep you on good roads.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
An expensive sat-nav might still take you the wrong way. A good old map could be better.

But to get to Newquay, the M5 and then the A38 will keep you on good roads.
Agreed, it can and sometimes does until my expert navigator says "you're not going down there are you?" with that edgy tone in her voice. Simple journeys, use a map or Google maps at worst.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Co pilot caravan can be downloaded for android or apple, i think you get 14 days free trial after that i think you have to pay monthly. You can put your motorhome dimensions and weight in and it should route you accordingly.

John H.

Free Member
Apr 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
A long time
Should is the important word in that statement. We have a built-in double-din sat nav, with dimensions set for a truck much biggger than our motorhome, but we have still been sent on some interesting cart tracks when we don't check the route with a paper map (or even google).

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
That's why i wrote should, i have co pilot caravan, most times it works well but it's not infallible. It's definitely a good idea to check your route against a truckers map if you can.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Road Lords is a free app for trucks, it is basically waze, but allows you to enter dimensions.
We used this last time out, but did find it diverted us off main roads onto small country lanes a couple of times.

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
I would suggest most satnavs can only be programmed with information such as physical or environmental restrictions such as traffic regulation orders, bridge heights/weights, restricted zones etc. They can be useful in urban areas, but in more rural locations not so much; to expect them to account for every narrow lane, tight bend and the like is an ask too far. I have many interesting journeys down tight country lanes delivering to remote places. When planning a new destination outside 'known' territory I look on Google Maps and do a 'virtual drive' on street view in areas where it looks a bit tricky, (before I set off). I have been yelled at by locals for taking such a big vehicle down 'their' roads with suggestions I turn round and use another route (obviously oblivious to the fact that my destination is at the end of 'their' narrow road and turning round something that is 42ft long and 8 1/2 wide is not a simple task either!) The joys of country living eh!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back