Free Member
Apr 25, 2017
Clevedon, N Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 510
Exp
4 years
Today's Daily Mail describes a British pensioner who thought he set his Sat Nav for Rome (from Newcastle) instead, he had it tapped in as "Rom", which is in Germany, near Cologne. he's 81 and drove a Jag. No motorhomer would be this daft, would they? Should have taken the other 'arf.

I have a little Satnav, it sits there in my car.
A Satnav is a driver's friend it tells you where you are
I have a little Satnav, I've had it all my life.
It's better than the normal ones,
My Satnav is my wife.
It gives me full instructions, especially how to drive
"It's sixty miles an hour", it says, "You're doing sixty five".
It tells me when to stop and start,
and when to use the brake
And tells me that it's never ever, safe to overtake.
It tells me when a light is red, and when it goes to green
It seems to know instinctively,
just when to intervene.
It lists the vehicles just in front, and all those to the rear.
And taking this into account, it specifies my gear.
I'm sure no other driver, has so helpful a device.
For when we leave and lock the MH, it still gives its advice.
It fills me up with counselling, each journey's pretty fraught.
So why don't I exchange it, and get a quieter sort?
Despite all these advantages, and my tendency to scoff,
I only wish that now and then, I could simply turn it off.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
May be ... we had an elderly chap here last year who'd set off from Blackpool I think and got totally lost, he was heading for Bridlington I think but ended up driving most of the night ending up all over the place, in the end his son had to come and get him as he was very, very confused ... we think he had some dementia and shouldn't really have been driving anyway.

Story that the OP is talking about here:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...driver-81-heading-Rome-Pope-ends-GERMANY.html

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Quick quick

I have one of those too.

Unfortunately it must be a LHD one as it cannot correctly distinguish 'Left' from 'Right'. That must have been tricky when she was working as a Driving Instructor.

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Quick Quick

Quick Quick

Free Member
Apr 25, 2017
Clevedon, N Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 510
Exp
4 years
We have to stop being impressed by the SAT NAV technology, and find the solution that will stop this. Full marks to the "pensioner" at 81, who thought that putting in Rome, whilst in Newcastle, and saying to himself, Rome....here I come.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
A few years ago , I was travelling home on the Isle of Wight ferry from my day at work & as we were all getting off the boat at Yarmouth , this elderly lady asked the staff at the port the way to a particular hotel , which turned out didn't exist on the island , on further checking she had booked a hotel at Great Yarmouth , not I.o.W. and had just got a return train ticket to the Isle of Wight all the way from Wales.
Not sure being Welsh had anything to do with it or her age.
so not down to just Sat Nav's !!

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
I have a little tip for sat nav users after a recent trip through europe visiting lots of places and staying on mostly free aires. I say this because my sat nav has taken me to some very exotic places, probably due to me not putting in the correct lat long co ordinates.

I use the all the aires books to find stops for the night and sometimes... well, you can guess! So what I always do now after putting in the co ordinates is to use the check destination function on the sat nav that shows you a little map of where you will end up!

I never used to do this !! ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Quick Quick

Quick Quick

Free Member
Apr 25, 2017
Clevedon, N Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 510
Exp
4 years
I have a little tip for sat nav users after a recent trip through europe visiting lots of places and staying on mostly free aires. I say this because my sat nav has taken me to some very exotic places, probably due to me not putting in the correct lat long co ordinates.

I use the all the aires books to find stops for the night and sometimes... well, you can guess! So what I always do now after putting in the co ordinates is to use the check destination function on the sat nav that shows you a little map of where you will end up!

I never used to do this !! ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
Longitude and Latitude co-ordinates? Never used them, preferring to put in the place name and trust to luck. I did cheat by looking at a 'map book' (see attached picture of one) to get a rough idea of where I was heading for.

OP
OP
Quick Quick

Quick Quick

Free Member
Apr 25, 2017
Clevedon, N Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 510
Exp
4 years
May be ... we had an elderly chap here last year who'd set off from Blackpool I think and got totally lost, he was heading for Bridlington I think but ended up driving most of the night ending up all over the place, in the end his son had to come and get him as he was very, very confused ... we think he had some dementia and shouldn't really have been driving anyway.

Story that the OP is talking about here:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...driver-81-heading-Rome-Pope-ends-GERMANY.html
'Always select country' must be the first rule. Imaging leaving it as England. He could have ended up in Romford. No pope there!

OP
OP
Quick Quick

Quick Quick

Free Member
Apr 25, 2017
Clevedon, N Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 510
Exp
4 years
A few years ago , I was travelling home on the Isle of Wight ferry from my day at work & as we were all getting off the boat at Yarmouth , this elderly lady asked the staff at the port the way to a particular hotel , which turned out didn't exist on the island , on further checking she had booked a hotel at Great Yarmouth , not I.o.W. and had just got a return train ticket to the Isle of Wight all the way from Wales.
Not sure being Welsh had anything to do with it or her age.
so not down to just Sat Nav's !!
I argue that much with my SAT NAV, that I have been recommended 'marriage guidance'!!!!

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Before satnavs, we were driving back from South Germany.The plan was to follow the Rhine as far as Cologne, then turn left through Belgium. Who needs maps? Just keep the Rhine on the right, can't go wrong(y).

It all went perfectly until we got to Koblenz. Still following the big river, we eventually got suspicious and decided to double-check with the map, only to discover we were a hundred miles along the Moselle :oops:.

K

Kamglocky

Deleted User
Hi anyone help with advice on sat navs/PDAs

Thinking of buying an HP IPAQ rz1710 but there is 2 choices of sat nav software, ne being tom tom and the other via michelin. Anyone got any advice on which is the better of the 2? Or info on any other good sat nav systems would be appreciated.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Today's Daily Mail describes a British pensioner who thought he set his Sat Nav for Rome (from Newcastle) instead, he had it tapped in as "Rom", which is in Germany, near Cologne.
'Rome' (English) is really called 'Roma' (Italian), but it's 'Rom' in German.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back