Santander to Portsmouth leaving Now and arriving 5 hours earlier (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
If you are not in a rush then I would take a slow drive avoiding the tolls as they are extremely expensive. I can understand why you don't take the boat as if it were not for us being short on time then there is no way I would go that route. Maybe one day when work is done
My advice ignore Rishi Sunak wanting you to work until you drop ( unless you really love what you are doing) and give up work as soon as you can , I really really enjoy not going to work, never been bored, but, it's not cheap to retire, but, we don't go for the high life .

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
zac Does this mean that your scheduled arrival in Santander was changed from 8am to 3am? If so, I think we'd find that pretty inconvenient. We like to be on the road from Santander at 9am-ish, after a full night's sleep, ready for a day of driving.

Hope you have a lovely few weeks in Spainđź‘Ť.
Nope its the other way ie arrival in Portsmouth was 8pm then it got changed to 3pm and now just heard over the intercom that it's now even earlier ie 1.30pm. Somehow they have made up 6 . 5 hours even with the helicopter airlift last night.

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
If you are not in a rush then I would take a slow drive avoiding the tolls as they are extremely expensive. I can understand why you don't take the boat as if it were not for us being short on time then there is no way I would go that route. Maybe one day when work is done
Not sure if it is more expensive?
Think there is a website/app where you can work out toll price .
I enjoy travelling through France but at this time of year not so much .
I usually get south to Spain as quickly as possible then meander on way back

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Not sure if it is more expensive?
Think there is a website/app where you can work out toll price .
I enjoy travelling through France but at this time of year not so much .
I usually get south to Spain as quickly as possible then meander on way back
We did it last year ie travelled back up through France as they cancelled the boat and with tolls and fuel it was more expensive driving than boat.
Also I never got the text till just outside of Santander so then had to do an 11 hour drive through France to get home else if would cost even more with the day I would have missed from work.

When i give up work I would not do this route as would have all the time in the world. Unfortunately it's the lesser of two evils.

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
We did it last year ie travelled back up through France as they cancelled the boat and with tolls and fuel it was more expensive driving than boat.
Also at never got the till just outside of Santander so then had to do an 11 hour drive through France to get home else if would cost even more with the day I would have missed from work.
Yea I meant comparing the cost of driving on toll roads v. non toll .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
My advice ignore Rishi Sunak wanting you to work until you drop ( unless you really love what you are doing) and give up work as soon as you can , I really really enjoy not going to work, never been bored, but, it's not cheap to retire, but, we don't go for the high life .
I totally agree soon as you can stop working Stop 🙂

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Off Post what company is Best for paying Tolls in France and Spain please, using one company

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Off Post what company is Best for paying Tolls in France and Spain please, using one company
Fulli for us as it's been faultless, some have found setting up the direct debit a challenge but for me it was simple using starling. I've also used emovis but that caused me no end of troubles.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Fulli for us as it's been faultless, some have found setting up the direct debit a challenge but for me it was simple using starling. I've also used emovis but that caused me no end of troubles.
You don’t have any problems being a tag axel @5T
we are 6.5T and 3.2mts high we get through most of the time after a discussion but a bit of a pain as there is no provision for class 3

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
You don’t have any problems being a tag axel @5T
Not with the fulli tag, it's worked all the time. You do sometimes have to get within touching distance of the barrier but it always goes up at class 2. We are just over 3m with the AC on the roof and 5t as well as towing a single axle car trailer.
I also have a 2nd tag on the car At no extra cost which is handy as I don't have to remember to move the tag now.

May 23, 2015
Weston super Mare
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 1992
We are going Calais to Spain February 20th can't make our mind up whether to go by Toll roads or non Toll roads, we have done with the Bay of Biscay, unless I want to lose weight quickly sailed 8 times through there emptied tummy 7 times!!
We are going end of January hopefully will use tolls just want to get down there.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
They just airlifted someone off,
Regular occurrence
Its just a lot slower not using the tolls
I rarely use tolls & don't find it slower.You just drive for longer. Dunkirk to Irun would be around 13 hours or so for me. Fuel average on A & N roads is 32/33mpg. My house to Dunkirk, 1250miles, I've done on 2 occasions in 24 hours.
At present there are very few tolls in spain .

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Regular occurrence

I rarely use tolls & don't find it slower.You just drive for longer.
I have compared on several occasions and it adds many more hours onto a journey which over the course of the trip adds a day at least which I don't have to spare. Tolls are a lot quicker but I would definitely avoid them if I was retired
This is in reference to France as Spain like you said has very few toll roads

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
We're home now, first job of the day was to wash the motorhome which was very dirty after 24 days in Spain. All finished now though just as the rain starts. Forgot what that looked like after not seeing any since we left đź‘Ť

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+

"Santander to Portsmouth leaving Now and arriving 5 hours earlier"​

Every time I see this thread title I laugh at the concept of 'Leaving now' and 'arriving 5 hours earlier'

MV Tardis. :LOL:
Haven't you heard?

They've moved the International Date Line to the Bay of Biscay.

It's going to play havoc with the 90/180 Shengen-anigans :rofl:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Haven't you heard?

They've moved the International Date Line to the Bay of Biscay.

It's going to play havoc with the 90/180 Shengen-anigans :rofl:

Once I had to deal with an aircraft accident operated by an American Samoan company so had to go to east side of the International Date Line and then fly to Western Samoa on the west side, where the aircraft crashed. Only 70 mies apart.

Because nobody was working over the W/E I ended up with a 3-day W/E

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back